In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

BOB is done.

Survivalist86Survivalist86 Member Posts: 3,105
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
I also created a BOB for the kid. Will go into that at a later time. Thanks for everyone's input.

http://s1.zetaboards.com/survivalism/topic/1696204/1/

Comments

• tneff1969tneff1969 Member Posts: 6,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    How about a couple of those cheap plastic ponchos, didn't see anything like that listed. They do have multiple uses and take up very little room.
  • Survivalist86Survivalist86 Member Posts: 3,105
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tneff1969
    How about a couple of those cheap plastic ponchos, didn't see anything like that listed. They do have multiple uses and take up very little room.

Let me think about that one.
  • tneff1969tneff1969 Member Posts: 6,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Read on your other post that you possibly have plastic trash bags ?? If so, I reckon they will serve the same purpose if needed.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tneff1969
    Read on your other post that you possibly have plastic trash bags ?? If so, I reckon they will serve the same purpose if needed.

Yeah, I line the ALICE packs with heavy duty trash bags. We get 355 days of sunshine out here....rain is not a worry. Dust storms are.
  • Jacob2008Jacob2008 Member Posts: 19,528 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Contact solution. Good for a ton of things. I have a small tube of biofreeze/icy hot in my bag.. A very small bottle of vitamins, and a baggie with approx 10 q tips in it. Soak some dryer lint in candle wax, ummm.. thats all I can think of that you may need also. No, its not NEEDED, but YES, its good to have as it takes VERY little room. Go to a chiropractor and get samples of bio freeze. Vacuum seal them so they dont burst imo
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Jacob2008
    Contact solution. Good for a ton of things. I have a small tube of biofreeze/icy hot in my bag.. A very small bottle of vitamins, and a baggie with approx 10 q tips in it. Soak some dryer lint in candle wax, ummm.. thats all I can think of that you may need also. No, its not NEEDED, but YES, its good to have as it takes VERY little room. Go to a chiropractor and get samples of bio freeze. Vacuum seal them so they dont burst imo

Q-tips...never thought of them...Will add them tonight...good call!!!
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    Cortisone cream.

I pack it into cleaned up chapstick tubes.

Doug
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Doug Wilson
    Cortisone cream.

I pack it into cleaned up chapstick tubes.

Doug

I'll think about that one.
  • gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was hoping that "Bob is done" meant the end of those terrible ads on television.
  • tpacuriositytpacuriosity Member Posts: 707 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have ya picked yourself out a good sheep or two? .......come on, you can tell us- cause as you know, a good sheep never will!
  • redneckandyredneckandy Member Posts: 9,705 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why don't you add some hemostats, good tweezers, catgut, suture needles and superglue to that first aid kit.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by redneckandy
    Why don't you add some hemostats, good tweezers, catgut, suture needles and superglue to that first aid kit.

Goit tweezers and hemostats in the first aid kit. Got some of the real surgical "super glue" in the kit too. I will seriously consider the suture stuff. GOOD CALL!!!! Thanks.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tpacuriosity
    Have ya picked yourself out a good sheep or two? .......come on, you can tell us- cause as you know, a good sheep never will!

What your sexual preference is, does not concern me. However I do suggest you look back into rehab. It apparantly did not work.
  • hehatemehehateme Member Posts: 724
    edited November -1
    Out of curiosity, approximately how much do you think you've spent on your BOB including the packs?
  • BaseJumperBaseJumper Member Posts: 5,570
    edited November -1
    quote:Have ya picked yourself out a good sheep or two? .......come on, you can tell us- cause as you know, a good sheep never will!

9088d1230278728-girls-guns-ewe.jpg
  • shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,811 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    thought about quick clot? and turn-a-kit? I have a couple of the quick clot silver packs in my "Bob"

I keep a few tubes of neosporin, and anti-fungal creme plus BC powders....realizing that this is intended fort only a few days/week not long term...I hump the big pack..the wife gets a smaller pack with MREs...I wold bet our packs are very similar in content...I chose a .44 for large animal..bears...and would strap my AR....sucks that ammo is so heavy!
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hehateme
    Out of curiosity, approximately how much do you think you've spent on your BOB including the packs?

Got a heck of a deal on the Packs. There is a guy here at the local shows that has some sort of deal buyin milsurp stuff. Not sure what he pays for them, but I got a complet ALICE pack with frame for $20.00. The OU 22/410 rifle was a trade deal for some reloading brass. The food was probably less then $40.00. I got the 2 canteens for $5.00 apiece from the same dude.

The Leatherman was a real cool deal. I hit a pawn shop and the owner had a box of "misc" junk sitting there. Old rusdy tools, and stuff. He wanted $20.00 for the box. In the bottom were 4 new leathermen and the vice grips I added to the kit.

I am not going to include the rifles, as I use them for other purposes too. There is maybe $50.00 worth of other stuff there. I scrounge things.

The Freeplay radio cost me $50.00 or so from C-crane. The solar flashlights were a close out at, of all places, the local Kwiky Mart for $5.00 each.

The first aid kit was issued to me in the oil patch. I was given 3 of them and get a new one every year. If I do not use it, I am required to change it out. It is still sealed in plastic.

I would say I have less then $150.00 in stuff. I buy stuff on sale, when I find it. The key is to not buy it all at once, buy a few items a week, when you find a sale. All the food came from either Big Lots of Dollar General. Be careful with that. I never buy food from China or Mexico. You will notice that the herring is from Germany, the Ham from Holland, and the other stuff is mostly of US origin.
    Hope that helps out. I am not an expert. I doubt anyone really is. Everyone's BOB will probably be different depending on geography, etc.
  • wlfmn323wlfmn323 Member Posts: 4,712
    edited November -1
    people may laugh, but i say one should have at least one spool of trip wire. you can set snares, attach tin cans for lowering down a steep bank for water, or attach cans for a perimeter alarm. can use it to tie stuff to branches off the ground so critters cant get into it. its smaller than rope but has many uses. heck you could probably braid it if ya had to.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wlfmn323
    people may laugh, but i say one should have at least one spool of trip wire. you can set snares, attach tin cans for lowering down a steep bank for water, or attach cans for a perimeter alarm. can use it to tie stuff to branches off the ground so critters cant get into it. its smaller than rope but has many uses. heck you could probably braid it if ya had to.

I have a roll of 50 lb test fishing line. I felt it was much more versatile. And a roll of dental floss.....mostly for sewing.
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    I have a 300' spool of paracord.

Doug
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Doug Wilson
    I have a 300' spool of paracord.

Doug

I carry mine with me wherever I go....See photo.

225.jpg
  • WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    20% of what you are missing will cause 80% of your problems.

What you have will put you ahead of 98% of everyone else. Which is pretty respectable, in my opinion.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Dave W.
    20% of what you are missing will cause 80% of your problems.

What you have will put you ahead of 98% of everyone else. Which is pretty respectable, in my opinion.

77% Much appreciated.