In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

This is where all the ammo, guns, and supplies are

War Pig ActualWar Pig Actual Member Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion

Comments

• BaseJumperBaseJumper Member Posts: 5,570
    edited November -1
    Wow!
    quote:He charges $100 an hour for phone consulting on emergency preparedness and says that business also has tripled.

Need a new home based career?
  • JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good to know these people are around, now we know who to kill for food and arms when we need them...
  • Survivalist86Survivalist86 Member Posts: 3,105
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by thermonuclear
    Good to know these people are around, now we know who to kill for food and arms when we need them...

Nice....so you are saying you are not planning on being prepared, you are planning on going on a killing and looting spree...right?
  • 35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Survivalist86

Nice....so you are saying you are not planning on being prepared, you are planning on going on a killing and looting spree...right?

Under the assumption that they wouldn't defend their food with their arms. Assumptions are the mother of all F***-ups.
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
  • War Pig ActualWar Pig Actual Member Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:quote:
    Originally posted by thermonuclear

I don't condone that, but I would never take that off the table to keep my family alive another day. 50% of the reason I have firearms is to prevent that from happening to me.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by War Pig Actual
    quote:quote:

I don't condone that, but I would never take that off the table to keep my family alive another day. 50% of the reason I have firearms is to prevent that from happening to me.

Agreed, I would not let someone take my things without my permission, but I would not steal or kill. There are always other options if you know how to survive.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 35WhelenClassic

Under the assumption that they wouldn't defend their food with their arms. Assumptions are the mother of all F***-ups.

Maybe the person who suggested he would go out and kill and steal, I suggest you come by my place first. That way you won't have the opportunity to kill or rape some of my elderly neighbors.
    edited November -1

Maybe the person who suggested he would go out and kill and steal, I suggest you come by my place first. That way you won't have the opportunity to kill or rape some of my elderly neighbors.

My point exactly.[;)]
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
    edited November -1

My point exactly.[;)]

One thing I can say...the guy that said that has given me the resolve to head to the reloading room tomorrow and make a few more rounds. So much for the thin line of civilization eh?
  • War Pig ActualWar Pig Actual Member Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For ever person that has prepared for the worst, there are 10 who didn't.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by War Pig Actual
    For ever person that has prepared for the worst, there are 10 who didn't.

Yeah...but out of those 10, most are just sheep, not thieves or rapists.
  • Leebo5Leebo5 Member Posts: 126 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Obama will confiscate his supplies for redistribution to the needy.Hoarding will be illegal.
    edited November -1
    What I meant was keep what you have to yourself. There are people who freely make themselves welcome to other peoples things now days... I can't imagine that will improve in the event of a major disaster.

I have a method of planning. Ammo will be the new money, so it will buy anything. Stock up on ammo and everything else you need will be there when you want it.
    edited November -1
    Originally posted by Survivalist86

You aren't the only one with a high-power rifle and a scope fella. You could be picked off from 1/4 mile while hoeing your turnips.

I was simply trying to say that you cannot be prepared enough for anything the magnitude of a nuclear strike. There will be people who kill and rape for fun right now! What makes you think for 1 second that things will change in the event of a disaster?. And at some point, as things become harder to find, this is what will begin to happen more often.

Eventually when you are down to your last bullet, someone offers to trade you a few shells from their box for a meal, you too will bust a cap in their * so you can gain more shells that will secure you and your family's safety just a little longer.

And I am not so sure that 1 in 10 is prepared. I would be surprised if 1 in 10,000 are prepared. I doubt 1 in a 1000 are prepared for a power failure.

Most people look at people like yourself and think you are a bunch of nuts. I am NOT one of those. Yeah, sometimes I think you go a little too far, but truth is, in an event, there is no too far!
    edited November -1

You aren't the only one with a high-power rifle and a scope fella.

Nor are you, but we'll let the "experts" decide, o.k.?[;)]
    edited November -1

Nor are you, but we'll let the experts decide, o.k.?[;)]

And you are?

Those who survive will be the ones who are willing to do the unthinkable.

Either you will die defending, or you will die taking, but you will die. Expert or not.
  • pietro75pietro75 Member Posts: 7,048
    edited November -1
    C&P from article"I'm not looking for a retreat in northern Idaho or any of that stuff, but I think there's more people like me out there and I think those numbers are growing," he said.

GOOD! stay down there! We are doing just fine
    edited November -1

You aren't the only one with a high-power rifle and a scope fella. You could be picked off from 1/4 mile while hoeing your turnips.

I was simply trying to say that you cannot be prepared enough for anything the magnitude of a nuclear strike. There will be people who kill and rape for fun right now! What makes you think for 1 second that things will change in the event of a disaster?. And at some point, as things become harder to find, this is what will begin to happen more often.

Eventually when you are down to your last bullet, someone offers to trade you a few shells from their box for a meal, you too will bust a cap in their * so you can gain more shells that will secure you and your family's safety just a little longer.

And I am not so sure that 1 in 10 is prepared. I would be surprised if 1 in 10,000 are prepared. I doubt 1 in a 1000 are prepared for a power failure.

Most people look at people like yourself and think you are a bunch of nuts. I am NOT one of those. Yeah, sometimes I think you go a little too far, but truth is, in an event, there is no too far!

Look bro, I am not trying to pick a fight at all. What I am saying is the more we can get folks, especially our neighbors, prepared the better off we all are.

As far as me running out of ammo....not gonna happen in my lifetime.

I have a saying, that I think I coined...but am not certain that goes like this...

There comes a time in a mans life when he realized he must commit to something larger then himself.

My commitment is to get folks thinking like they did 100 years ago. Prepare for things. 1st prepare for family emergencies, then for neighborhood emergencies, then for area wide emergencies, then statewide, and finally SHTF all over. That, is my goal.

Folks that state they are not going to prepare, but will take from the weak, elderly or those who cannot defend themselves, really pi$$ me off. I took your comments wrong.
    edited November -1

Nor are you, but we'll let the experts decide, o.k.?[;)]

And you are?

Those who survive will be the ones who are willing to do the unthinkable.

Either you will die defending, or you will die taking, but you will die. Expert or not.

Can't say as though I ever laid claim to being an expert on anything, but I don't go around appearing that way, be it SHTF scenarios, long-range-turnip-farmer sniping or otherwise.
    edited November -1
    I'm really not trying to argue here. Seriously, you are the experts on this stuff because you seem to live and breathe it. I tend to play things by ear.

I just want to know how big and how much a BOB should weigh. I mean if I use 2 army duffle bags and they are stuffed to 125 pounds each, I can toss them in the truck or on a 4 wheeler and off I go?

But how long will 250 pounds of supplies last me? I looked over you BOB list and you seem to have it down to a science. However, I didn't notice any type of bedding. No shelter. I would think a basic tent would be a good start. Then again, you are the expert, not I.

You have peaked my curiosity.
    edited November -1
    [/quote]

Can't say as though I ever laid claim to being an expert on anything, but I don't go around appearing that way, be it SHTF scenarios, long-range-turnip-farmer sniping or otherwise.

[/quote]

So why is it everything I use as an example you automatically assume I am referring to myself? Are you saying it is not possible that someone with the ability could or would not snipe another person for survival?

Look we battled once before and I think you are still bitter.

Otherwise you are a bafoon who thinks life after diasaster will be hunky dory! Have you even been to a concert when someone throws a shirt or something off the stage? Does it look like the prepared are the ones who get the shirt? Or is it the * kicker who is willing to destroy it rather than give it up?

I belive that most people are good honest folks. However, I also belive that you mix in 1 catastrophic disaster and people change. You have no idea what you will do when you are starving. You have never been there. Neither have I.
    edited November -1
    I'm really not trying to argue here. Seriously, you are the experts on this stuff because you seem to live and breathe it. I tend to play things by ear.

I just want to know how big and how much a BOB should weigh. I mean if I use 2 army duffle bags and they are stuffed to 125 pounds each, I can toss them in the truck or on a 4 wheeler and off I go?

But how long will 250 pounds of supplies last me? I looked over you BOB list and you seem to have it down to a science. However, I didn't notice any type of bedding. No shelter. I would think a basic tent would be a good start. Then again, you are the expert, not I.

You have peaked my curiosity.

Yeah...a BOB is more of something set up to get you some where. I believe they used to call em the 72 hour kits. I have a blanket, and plastic bags. If I had to walk, I could make it to my bug out location in 2 days.

I am not an expert, and I hopt to never be. Just taking care of my family and myself.

I can offer suggestions. I use 2 of the old ALICE packs because they fit me perfectly. I have tried all the fancy stuff and these work best for myself and my wife. My kiddo has an old Swiss Alpenflage pack, and the dog has a pack to carry things in. I keep the packs below 50 lbs because I am not getting any younger. The wifes is 40 lbs and the kids is about 30 lbs. The dog can carry about 6 lbs. Load it with stuff you need for your location. Here in the desert, rain gear is not a priority. Water is.

I would say hit our site, register and you will get more info then you can possibly need.
    edited November -1
    [/quote]

Look bro, I am not trying to pick a fight at all. What I am saying is the more we can get folks, especially our neighbors, prepared the better off we all are.

I have a saying, that I think I coined...but am not certain that goes like this...

There comes a time in a mans life when he realized he must commit to something larger then himself.

My commitment is to get folks thinking like they did 100 years ago. Prepare for things. 1st prepare for family emergencies, then for neighborhood emergencies, then for area wide emergencies, then statewide, and finally SHTF all over. That, is my goal.

Folks that state they are not going to prepare, but will take from the weak, elderly or those who cannot defend themselves, really pi$$ me off. I took your comments wrong.
    [/quote]

It's all good. I agree that people need to be more prepared, no doubt. But if you watched the movie The week before, the day after I can tell you right now, a nuclear detnoation in St Loise, Mo will not bring neighbors out to chat and set up tables to share their toys.

A more accurate movie would be Red Dawn or even more so Road Warrior! Because they are about people fighting back, and watching for traps and trickery. The movie A boy and his dog is a good movie, but seriously, I doubt hundreds or thousands will gather in local areas with no food just to lay around and die. Maybe they will, since wheel revoked my expert card...
    edited November -1

[/quote]

It's all good. I agree that people need to be more prepared, no doubt. But if you watched the movie The week before, the day after I can tell you right now, a nuclear detnoation in St Loise, Mo will not bring neighbors out to chat and set up tables to share their toys.

A more accurate movie would be Red Dawn or even more so Road Warrior! Because they are about people fighting back, and watching for traps and trickery. The movie A boy and his dog is a good movie, but seriously, I doubt hundreds or thousands will gather in local areas with no food just to lay around and die. Maybe they will, since wheel revoked my expert card...
    [/quote]

I think a more likely event would be a hurricane, and people looting. Or an earthquake. I also think that a state running out of welfare money and the great unwashed couch potatoes would riot for their rights to get their gub-ment money.

Although with Korea and Syria doing what they are doing, I am not ruling out a nuke hit on the east or west coast.
    edited November -1
    [quote/]

Actually, I have been there (starving), and I don't care to ever be at that point again.

Will my life be hunky-dory after a distaster? What type of distaster, natural, or man-made? If I don't die in the initial "wave", I've already got areas and supplies covered. Matter of fact, I hiked said areas not a week ago.

We can agree to disagree I guess, it's only the internet, right?[;)]

Either way, it is rather enjoyable discussing different "what if" scenarios. Sorry if I came across as an a-hole.

And no, I'm not bitter. Mildly abrasive on occasion, perhaps.[;)]
    edited November -1
    All I am saying is if every one would spend an extra $5 a week on supplies, in 60 days they could have lots of stuff. Buy stuff you could eat or use even if something bad does not happen. A 12 pack of Ramen noodles will run you less then $5.00. 6 cans of tuna for $5.00. A case of bottled water , less then $5.00. Toss it under your bed and build up a stash. Heck, we horde primers and powder..whats $20.00 a month for chow? Hit the hock shops. Times are bad for some folks. Pick up a couple of knives, or a pair of pliers. Just prepare for problems.
    edited November -1
    [quote/]

Actually, I have been there (starving), and I don't care to ever be at that point again.

Will my life be hunky-dory after a distaster? What type of distaster, natural, or man-made? If I don't die in the initial "wave", I've already got areas and supplies covered. Matter of fact, I hiked said areas not a week ago.

Either way, it is rather enjoyable discussing different "what if" scenarios. Sorry if I came across as an a-hole.

You know, if everyone saw things the same way, it would be kinda boring.
    edited November -1
    [quote/]

You know, if everyone saw things the same way, it would be kinda boring.

If everyone were like me, chaos would ensue!!!