In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

A Really Sad Story

dav1965dav1965 Member Posts: 26,543 ✭✭✭
edited August 2016 in General Discussion
In 2006 i was the lead welder at a Cummings plant. When things were made i would send them to the paint department and i would get Anthony to paint everything for me. He was the best painter.In late 2007 i was made to take the leed electricians job. The lead electrician was promoted to something else and i was forced to take the job.

About 1 month later Anthony came to talk to me and he was having problems with his 2 girls. He wanted to move out of the hood and get his kids away from the gangs.

He was a great worker and painter so i told him he could come to work on the weekends and see how things go. Anthony worked as hard as i could and when an electrician job came open i told Anthony to put in for the job.

I talked my boss into hiring him. He did great work starting as a helper and moving up. He finally moved out in the country and away from town.

Everything was great for Anthony and his family. In 2009 he left Friday and when he came back Monday his neck looked like a Bucks in rut it was huge.

I took him to the doctor that mourning and 10 days later he was dead. His family lost the house and his youngest daughter age 14 got pregnant and then about 4 months later the 16 year old was shot and killed.

I heard today that his wife had a stroke and died. She was around 48 or so. Its hard to believe when 1 hard working person died his whole family came apart.

There is not many people who could work as hard as i did back then and he was 1 or 4 that i could count on.[:(]

It was hard watching his family fall back to the old life after Anthony died. Black or white he was one of the few i had respect for. He never complained about 100 hour+ work week.

I forgot when but his youngest daughter died also. All that is left is his grand baby and i never met him.

Comments

• Options
    bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,334 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Damn, how much bad luck can one family have. Sad indeed.
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dav1965
    In 2006 i was the lead welder at a Cummings plant.

[:D]

186e008a-8345-49da-8a79-d111506c0f1e_zpsfajjpky7.jpg
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,551 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    you are correct terrible sad story for some one trying to get ahead

I hate the saying buts its all we have to explain it away
    sometimes bad things happen to good people
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,929 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Very sad indeed
  • Options
    AzAfshinAzAfshin Member Posts: 2,986 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is a sad story and sometimes bad things happen to good people. But that's where planning comes in. I'm the single bread winner in the family, so I carry life insurance that would pay roughly 5 year's salary in case I died. That should give my family enough time to get their chit together and continue their lives with minimal financial disruption. A good provider should plan for disaster's like these.
  • Options
    wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is sad. Prayers for what is left of his family. And for you for what you tried to do for a friend...

Lord have mercy on the working man.
    "What is truth?'
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    Any idea what caused his neck to swell like that? Is that what killed him?
    Damn tough life for that family..[V][V]
  • Options
    dav1965dav1965 Member Posts: 26,543 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    He had some type of lymphnode disease in his neck. Friday he looked fine and Monday he was swollen beyond belief.

I do not remember what it was.

I know he had life insurance but i do not know how much. I do know his wife worked at a rest home while he was working.

I think he had 1 year base pay around 35,000 for free and i do not know if he had any extra.
  • Options
    discusdaddiscusdad Member Posts: 11,418 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dave this comment is not directed at you, not at all. but solely for your friend....i can't help but think had this guy spent more time being a father to 2 kids instead of being a 100/hr worker, those kids perhaps would have turned out better adjusted. when having the desire for more and better STUFF takes away from the only real job- being a parent at an age when they needed him most, then that man has failed. to me that is the really sad point here.