In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Lots of gunfire tonight - East St Louis

Tech141Tech141 Member Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭
edited January 2017 in General Discussion
Goodness! I was just outside for 5 minutes cleaning up from a day project, and I was hearing a S**t-ton of gunfire coming out of East St Louis. I am located approx 4 blocks from there. I am near the top of a hill, so there isn't really anything in the way that will block sound from that direction. I quit counting at 150.

You can tell some of it is moving, some coming from the exact same direction. This is NOT fireworks. Sounds like a Saturday afternoon at the range. There was also a good amount of police sirens coming from that way.

Anyone on here with a scanner that can get St Clair County Sheriff or East St Louis Police?

Methinks it is going to be an interesting evening.

Comments

• Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    when i worked at grand and penrose in north saint louis during the 80's , our parking lot was open in the back, across from that was a few dozen houses, at midnight i swear every house came out the front door and fired guns into the air
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You need to call in an air strike.
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,190 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had to drive through ESL from Belleville to St Louis U every day back in the late 60s. I quickly learned to never stop or even slow down - even at red lights. And it was where I got shot at long before Vietnam.

Cannot imagine how much worse that hellhole must be now.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Rocky - I go through E. st Louis, Brooklyn, Washington Park, etc.. a lot. I have never had any problems. But then again, I won't go there unless its daylight. If I ever have to go there at night, I would want a door gunner and a fifty cal on the roof of the truck.
  • Options
    ChrisStreettChrisStreett Member Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gunfire tonight, find the bodies in the am. If they don't find them til after midnight they don't count against the 2016 totals!
    "...dying ain't much of a living boy"-Josey Wales
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,999 ******
    edited November -1
    One of the things I do not miss about St.Louis,,
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Tech141
    Rocky - I go through E. st Louis, Brooklyn, Washington Park, etc.. a lot. I have never had any problems. But then again, I won't go there unless its daylight. If I ever have to go there at night, I would want a door gunner and a fifty cal on the roof of the truck.

yup better be gone by sundown or you will get shot for being white

i went to school in venice, and lived in washinton park on forrest ave, and then kingshighway right where popeyes chicken sits today
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Some yahoo just emptied a 30-round magazine. No sirens now.
  • Options
    buschmasterbuschmaster Member Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    feh, I went to the Wishing Well one time and got soused. they're cool just don't be a moron (or look like one) and you'll be ok. can you do that? if you can't, then you should know better than to go there.

150 gunshots aint nothing. it's only 9:00, wait.
  • Options
    slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm near Lebanon Ill, not too far from where you are. You are closer than I would want to be. I worked that area for AT&T until 1993 when I took early retirement. My job was determing where to place pay phones. Spent a lot of time there during the day only. Had a couple of interesting experiences but no real problems. Always felt sorry for the legitimate black business people down there. Their own people were there worst enemy. Stop and frisk would be a big help but it would be considered discrimination. So sad.
  • Options
    CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,296 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Grand and Broadway in St. Louis was a fun place to work in the 90's. The only time I went to East St Louis was to a motor shop and it made me nervous. I knew I was never going down that road again.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Captplaid
    Grand and Broadway in St. Louis was a fun place to work in the 90's. The only time I went to East St Louis was to a motor shop and it made me nervous. I knew I was never going down that road again.

used to get gas at that intersection before heading up grand to work, funny thing was the broadway bistro was right up the street, and an all white bar right in the middle of the hood, place was always packed and their block parties where a blast
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like Camden. Not a night goes by without some gun play. We went to see a concert there this summer with some friends. When we left, we drove by wiggins park. My friend, a police officer there, shut the truck off and said listen. Within ten minutes, you could here the gun shots and night crawlers running everywhere. Not a fun thing to do. I was a little pissed at him for even stopping. We had no idea where we were or what he was doing. This is why we never venture into that hell hole. He has worked that place for 30 years.[xx(] Any of the forum members that use to live here or still do, can tell you why were are the murder capital of the country, most years.[xx(][xx(][xx(]
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hear gun fire almost every time I am at my property.

Of course a bird shooting preserve is right down the street [:D][:D][:D][:D]
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    discusdaddiscusdad Member Posts: 11,418 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    drove 64 thru east side into south st louis 6 days a week for 20 some years. stopped at the BBQ place by the 3 mile mark darn near every friday. NONE BETTER! umpired American Legion baseball games in ESL for a couple years, never had any problems-one of the ESL coaches was LEO. paid me by check and could cash them anywhere, we just started 15 minutes late-EAST SIDE TIME! went to track meets at ESL Senior HS. been in the old Blue Note on hiway 15 more than a few times back in the wild and crazy days.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I grew up with and dearly miss St Louis-style BBQ. Back then, the packing plants gave away the byproducts like pig snouts and ribs (yes, ribs). Drive any two-lane road and about every mile you'd see a cinderblock and screen BBQ joint run by some old Black man. Blue hickory smoke curled up from the pit, that mouth-watering smell almost forcing you to pull in. Every one of them had a sign "BBQ Snouts and Ribs" and all of them made fabulous BBQ.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    no charcoal in those grills. slab oak and hickory[ NO PINEWOOD] from the lumber mills kerf pile. burn a stack of it down then transfer the coals to the grill. i miss that style BBQ.
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Watched the arch being built, rode the Admiral, saw Busch Gardens, toured the Switzer plant, got disgusted at the "Spanish Pavilion"; onchalaydas and taykos made by people who couldn't even pronounce them.
    Remember getting sniped at just crossing the Eades Bridge.
    ESL needs to adopt that old Jersey tradition of Hell Night; might improve the neighborhood.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Did most of those same things, gunnut. Toured the Budweiser plant several times just to get the free beer. Took dates to Gaslight Square.

I preferred the Veterans Bridge; thought the slippery steel grating on the Eades was scary, and the next-to-nothing "guard rails" were no encouragement.

Almost forgot...What was the New Years Eve body count in ESL?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    if you guys wanted free beer, the Stag Brewery in Belleville was the one to tour. they put on a wind ding party from certain groups like the Jaycees.

agree with the Eads bridge pucker factor railings. i hated to see that shut down tho , i used it as an alternate if Poplar Street bridge was jammed up.
  • Options
    rambo rebelrambo rebel Member Posts: 4,028
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mogley98
    I hear gun fire almost every time I am at my property.

Of course a bird shooting preserve is right down the street [:D][:D][:D][:D]

how the heck do you "preserve" birds if you're a shooten em?[:p]
  • Options
    eastbankeastbank Member Posts: 4,215
    edited November -1
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used to call on a waste management plant in East St. Louis. Plant manager always wanted to go to PT's on 4 Corner lane for lunch. That place was by far the raunchiest strip club I have EVER been in. (And I delivered a LOT of pizzas to the ones here in Atlanta back in the 80's [:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm about 2 miles north of PTs. Went there once back in '97, never had the urge to go back.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm about 2 miles north of PTs. Went there once back in '97, never had the urge to go back.

i think your referring to the one in centerville, capt is referring to the one in sauget, at least in the past
  • Options
    ChetStaffordChetStafford Member Posts: 2,794
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CaptFun
    I used to call on a waste management plant in East St. Louis. Plant manager always wanted to go to PT's on 4 Corner lane for lunch. That place was by far the raunchiest strip club I have EVER been in. (And I delivered a LOT of pizzas to the ones here in Atlanta back in the 80's [:D]

There is a PTs about 10 miles from here on the east side of Indy it use to be the best place around here if you were into the strip club scene but now its a dive. It was owned by the same people that owned the one in St Louis.
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 1911a1-fan

i think your referring to the one in centerville, capt is referring to the one in sauget, at least in the past

That was at least 15 years ago, maybe more. Only time I have been close to there was a Busch series race 2006 or 7, still ICK...
  • Options
    cavman 69cavman 69 Member Posts: 654 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I went to grad school in Edwardsville, and I had a black friend who told me, "I'm black and I wouldn't even drive thru East St. Louis". that was 1979, I can't even imagine what it's like now.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    it was open season on blacks with Missouri plates back in late 60s