In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

he does not understand

2»

Comments

• Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,895 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    FDR was a heck of a guy!
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • monticellotdmmonticellotdm Member Posts: 256 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have looked hard at all the references I could find for the terms patriotic and patriotism. Funny that not a single entry anywhere has any mention of military membership a prerequisite anywhere in the definition. Simply put it is defined as a love for ones country.
  • TxsTxs Member Posts: 17,809 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by monticellotdm
    I have looked hard at all the references I could find for the terms patriotic and patriotism. Funny that not a single entry anywhere has any mention of military membership a prerequisite anywhere in the definition. Simply put it is defined as a love for ones country.You're reaching.

No one has stated here that military service is a prerequisite for patriotism - only that it should be a product.

If you don't want to join our military, then don't. As I've stated, I'm not dogging anyone who chooses not to, but don't be shocked if people are unimpressed when they see you waving the flag and touting your deep level patriotism - same as with our current President. No offense intended, it's just the reality of the situation.

Life is all about choices.
  • 1fisher1fisher Member Posts: 1,012 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just doing a quick search, it looks like approx. 4 million men and women will reach their 18th birthday this year. With only a two year enlistment, that give us a military of 8 million strong - that is awfully hard to support budget-wise.
    Please don't get me wrong - I have great respect for those who serve, but it just is not feasible to have everybody of age serve in a country the size of ours.
    I definitely do prefer a President with military experience, as I think that CinC is the most important part of the Presidents job.
  • TxsTxs Member Posts: 17,809 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 1fisher
    Just doing a quick search, it looks like approx. 4 million men and women will reach their 18th birthday this year. With only a two year enlistment, that give us a military of 8 million strong - that is awfully hard to support budget-wise.There's no need to only count the 18 year olds. Our military enlistees aren't made up of just teenagers and as I stated, military service at some point in a person's life is what's important.

One of my wife's doctors, a former medical school professor in his late 40's, joined only a few years ago. He says he just wanted to do his part and - he agrees it sounds corny - attempt to repay what life here has provided him. Good man.

Now I'm really going to step off into a correctness minefield....

Besides considering only those who are physically/mentally fit for military service, IMHO you should be counting mostly just the eligible males.
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by moonshine
    This (person) has absolutely no concept of honor or love of country.

In brief remarks after laying the wreath and observing a moment of silence, Obama said he wondered why the country's fallen warriors felt a sense of duty and answered the call to serve, knowing they might have to make the ultimate sacrifice.

This is why he shouldn't be president. He doesn't know what it means to love your country enough that you are willing to die for it.

If we ever get invaded, he'll be the first one out of town!
  • monticellotdmmonticellotdm Member Posts: 256 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Time for my nightly prayers....

God is good, God is great...Thank you for not letting me choke to death on my own indignation of the self-righteous attitudes of others

Amen