In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Who lives near the Trinity Alps???

calrugerfancalrugerfan Member Posts: 18,209
edited October 2009 in General Discussion
near Redding, CA. Somebody here does but I don't remember. I want to know if it is possible to drive close enough to do a day hike to Bear Lake.

Comments

• Options
    Fly DoctorFly Doctor Member Posts: 5,053
    edited November -1
    Big Bear Lake's about 4.7 miles from the trailhead, which is off of County Road 137. The exit for that is about 8 miles north of Coffee Creek.

Depends on your fitness, pace and stamina. If good, it's a day hike. If not, I'd plan on overnighting. The first 4 miles are uphill, with a 3000 foot elevation increase from 3K to 6K, to give you an idea.

If you plan on takin' the time to fish (brookies to about 12") 28 acre Big Bear or visit the two nearby, smaller sister lakes, I'd also plan on overnighting.

If you want a map, and some trail description, I can photograph some pages out of a couple of guide books and post 'em here if you like.

Doc
  • Options
    edited November -1
    That would be great. Is Bear Lake the one that is at the top of the mountain with the 70 foot waterfall coming from it? I did a 50 hike through the Trinity Alps when I was about 13.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Cameron, here are the pages pertaining to the Bear Lake hike, as well as a photo of the guides used.
    As far as the waterfall goes, there are waterfalls up along the Canyon Creek trail out of Junction City
    here and there's a nice waterfall out of Grizzly Lake. Don't think there's one at Bear, though.
    Have a great time! Take yer fly rod!
    - Doc

BearLake1.jpg

BearLake2.jpg

BearLakeTrailMap.jpg

BearLake3.jpg

BearLake4.jpg

TrinityAlpsGuides.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info. It must be Grizzley Lake that I am thinking of then. It was at the top of the mountain, fed by a small glacier. The lake itself was tiny (you could see the whole thing without turning your head) but it had a nice waterfall going off the cliff.

Where did you get those guide books? I wonder if REI down here will have them.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Try Amazoon.com & E-Schmay, Cam.