.

Any one have a Ruger GP100 3"

William81William81 Member Posts: 20,827 ✭✭✭
edited December 2013 in General Discussion
I like the size and weight. Felt good in my hand and the trigger is decent. So, have you got one ??, what do you think??....Looks like this one

http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=378523983

Comments

  • BoomerangBoomerang Member Posts: 4,513
    edited November -1
    How much did you pay for yours?
  • fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    i like my sp101 357 2"[^]
  • nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Got the 4 incher. Love it.
  • JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nemesisenforcer
    Got the 4 incher. Love it.


    +1
  • William81William81 Member Posts: 20,827 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Boomerang
    How much did you pay for yours?


    I have not bought it yet....can get it for under 600 put the door.
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 63,081 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • ChrisStreettChrisStreett Member Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've had one for years and really like it. I have to warn you though, it's big and darn heavy. I opted for the 3" because a 2" .357 tends to have excessive muzzle rise. It's not gonna be the most compact handgun you ever carried but it'll sure get the job done. At least in the case of the one I bought, the trigger is surprisingly smooth for an out of the box DA.
    "...dying ain't much of a living boy"-Josey Wales
  • Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 19,147 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have an SP101 with a 3" barrel and its a nice piece. I like 3" guns the longer sight radius really helps with shot placement and the little extra weight helps with recoil. I got my wife a S&W M36 nickel with a 3" and she hits much better with it than my 2" M38.

    That is a nice looking gun. I generally think Rugers are kind of chunky looking and unrefined when compared to a S&W but that is a nice looking Ruger. I really like the sights and grips, I bet its a great shooter.
    RLTW

  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 48,630 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    4". Hated the stocks, and replaced with a Hogue monogrip. Had a smith slick up the trigger. NOW I love it.
  • William81William81 Member Posts: 20,827 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ChrisStreett
    I've had one for years and really like it. I have to warn you though, it's big and darn heavy. I opted for the 3" because a 2" .357 tends to have excessive muzzle rise. It's not gonna be the most compact handgun you ever carried but it'll sure get the job done. At least in the case of the one I bought, the trigger is surprisingly smooth for an out of the box DA.


    I like 3" barreled revolvers. I was thinking this would be a gun I would wear outside when walking in the woods or fishing in remote places. More than enough to take care of any 2 or 4 legged critters in my neck of the woods......Having a slight problem pulling the trigger....as I said before, never been a Ruger Revolver guy, but that may change. [:)]
  • William81William81 Member Posts: 20,827 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by He Dog
    4". Hated the stocks, and replaced with a Hogue monogrip. Had a smith slick up the trigger. NOW I love it.


    I think that would be what I would do also.....




    Thanks all for the input...
  • sxsnufsxsnuf Member Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ruger = chunky, unrefined, etc, etc,,,,,
    It will take a steady diet of full house loads that would turn a Smith or Colt revolver into a bag of broken parts and pieces.
    All those pretty lines and refinement that are the virtues of other revolvers lose a little sumthin when theyre reduced to a box of pieces on some gunsmiths bench.[}:)]
    BTW, I love my 6" stainless GP100.
    Arrivederci gigi
  • nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sxsnuf
    Ruger = chunky, unrefined, etc, etc,,,,,
    It will take a steady diet of full house loads that would turn a Smith or Colt revolver into a bag of broken parts and pieces.
    All those pretty lines and refinement that are the virtues of other revolvers lose a little sumthin when theyre reduced to a box of pieces on some gunsmiths bench.[}:)]
    BTW, I love my 6" stainless GP100.






    Perhaps a bit exaggerated, but contains an essence of truth.
  • donut77donutdonut77donut Member Posts: 560 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nemesisenforcer
    Got the 4 incher. Love it.


    thats what she said
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 21,920 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a pair of Security Sixes. These used to be a $350 to $375 gun seeing going into the $450+ range lately.

    I look at Ruger Revolvers as a Single Action revolver with a quick loading swing out cylinder. Their factory DA trigger pull is rough. Single action is decent.

    5635125823_4ea35c59cb.jpg
  • gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    Got one and love it.......keep it in the glovebox in my Honda as my "go to" gun if needed. Built like a tank compared to my Smith 66 but I really like it as it feels "good" in my hand and will handle anything I put through it. Got mine years ago and it is make "SDPD" which methinks in a previous life it was a member of that "left coast" police dept and was sold when they upgraded to semi's. Like Drobs I too have a couple of Sec Six's but like the GP100 better....don't think you can go wrong if you get it IMO.
Sign In or Register to comment.