In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Riding a mule?

mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
edited January 2013 in General Discussion
I have been rereading Theodore Roosevelt's The Rough Riders for the first time in several years and came upon the sentence General Young, who was riding a mule, carefully examined the Spanish position in person. I know next to nothing about equine and was under the impression that mules were simply draft animals and were not ridden like horses. Would it be common to ride a mule and is there any advantage to a mule verses riding a horse?

Comments

• Options
    JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    mules are very common in mountains and rocky places.

You can rent mules at the Grand Canyon to ride down to the bottom and back.

I think mules have more solid footing and they can haul more weight.
  • Options
    beneteaubeneteau Member Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mules a more sure footed than horses. Rode many a mule when I was a kid.
    0M9InwN.gif[
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    In the rugged terrain of Cuba that sure-footing would be sensible. There is not a question that cannot be answered on Gun Broker! Thank you.
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Like horses, mules come in different sizes from cart pony to draft size. Yes it is common to ride them and for some uses they are preferred over horses.
  • Options
    danielgagedanielgage Member Posts: 10,474 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    they have bred-up some nice mules that look and ride like quarter horses,gaited horses and etc.

they ride and rope off of some of them just like quarter horses
  • Options
    woodhogwoodhog Member Posts: 13,115 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    tho they carry (generally) less weight because they are smaller than horses, the ones I've owned seemed more surefooted and calmer in 'situations'. Less likely to panic, as horses often due when confronted with something they don't understand.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by woodhog
    tho they carry (generally) less weight because they are smaller than horses, the ones I've owned seemed more surefooted and calmer in 'situations'. Less likely to panic, as horses often due when confronted with something they don't understand.

That would be a real plus. I enjoy TR's books and his style of writing but he sometimes takes for granted that the reader is well versed, or has even a basic understanding, of the subject matter. Of course a century ago when the book was written the average American was much more familiar with horses and mules than someone like myself is today.
  • Options
    Removed at users request.Removed at users request. Member Posts: 3,027
    edited November -1
    Columbia Tennessee has an annual Mule Day. I've seen some really good looking riding mules and I've seen some pull unbelievable amounts of weight on a sled. Always heard that they're smarter than horses.
  • Options
    jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mark christian
    In the rugged terrain of Cuba that sure-footing would be sensible. There is not a question that cannot be answered on Gun Broker! Thank you.
    Even medical.
  • Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Festus Hagan always rode a mule on Gunsmoke. Even though it was a male he called him Ruth.
  • Options
    themountainmanthemountainman Member Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Now you're talkin' about something I have some experience with. The best riding stock I ever saw was a "BLUE MULE" out of a * jack and a pacer mare. Smooth as a well oiled rocking chair. Kept her for 25 years & truned down a lot of money for her cause you won't ever find one like her.
    There are 3 kinds of people in the world. Those who can do math and those who can't. :?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by themountainman
    Now you're talkin' about something I have some experience with. The best riding stock I ever saw was a "BLUE MULE" out of a * jack and a pacer mare. Smooth as a well oiled rocking chair. Kept her for 25 years & truned down a lot of money for her cause you won't ever find one like her.

have you ever tried breeding for another one like her[?]
  • Options
    jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The mule possesses the even temper, patience, endurance and sure-footedness of the donkey, and the vigor, strength and courage of the horse. Operators of working animals generally find mules preferable to horses: mules show more patience under the pressure of heavy weights, and their skin is harder and less sensitive than that of horses, rendering them more capable of resisting sun and rain. Their hooves are harder than horses', and they show a natural resistance to disease and insects. Many North American farmers with clay soil found mules superior as plow animals.
  • Options
    IdahoboundIdahobound Member Posts: 20,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have put on a few miles on a mule great in the mountains
  • Options
    edited November -1
    That big old black jack belonged to another fellow who sold him. Besides how many "BLUE MULE" pacers do you need at one time. It isn't exactly like a team.
    There are 3 kinds of people in the world. Those who can do math and those who can't. :?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    That big old black jack belonged to another fellow who sold him. Besides how many "BLUE MULE" pacers do you need at one time. It isn't exactly like a team.

OK
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Mules don't seem to get boared with monotonus work. Logged with a couple of good mules. Show them where we were loading out the truck aND THEY COULD BE TURNED loose. Have a kid unhitch the loggin dogs, throw the traces on their back, and they would return to the saw noise.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Mules don't seem to get boared with monotonus work. Logged with a couple of good mules. Show them where we were loading out the truck aND THEY COULD BE TURNED loose. Have a kid unhitch the loggin dogs, throw the traces on their back, and they would return to the saw noise.

yea I have saw them doing that in the logging woods too I always thought that was awesome
  • Options
    MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    Mules are smarter and have more endurance than a horse. I have been on trail rides and my mule would stop in his tracks. After checking out why I have found holes in the trail that would break a horse's leg. Once I found the biggest Eastern Diamondback I have ever seen. A horse would have spoked and probably threw you off right on top of that rattler. A mule will save your rear end, a horse will get you killed.

I use an Arabian mare and breed to a Mammoth Jack to to get my mules. I call them my HalfAssed Arabians. Arabian horses in their selfs are very sure footed. Also they have more endurance than any other horses. One of the reasons Arabians dominate endurance racing where you go 100 miles in a day. Arabians have very short cannon bones which make for very strong legs. They also have larger lungs and if you ever noticed their nostrils seem to flare out like a bugle. Arabians also will go farther on less feed and water than other breeds of horses. Almost all modern breeds of horses have Arabian blood in them. Having evolved in the desert this is what makes them great for endurance. Now combine this to the qualities of the burrow and you have the ultimate hybrid.

Now for Draft horse purposes you simply breed a Mammoth Jack to a draft mare. The infusion of the Mammoth Jack gives the draft mule intelligence, endurance, and strength. There are even gaited mules out there, hunters and jumpers too.

Basically you breed a Mammoth Jack to whatever type of horse you want. The mule takes on the character of the horse but has all the good traits of the Jack. What you do lose in the mule is the speed of the horse. Some say that mules are rough riding, Some of the smoothest rides have been on a mule.

Lets see a horse do this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1sfDlLluJY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiEzNngIV3g
  • Options
    edited November -1
    MMOMEQ-55 that video was AWESOME thanks [^]
  • Options
    BGHillbillyBGHillbilly Member Posts: 1,927 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Everybody always looked for '* hunting' mules in these parts. Much better to hunt off of at night and the big thing was they could jump fences flatfooted much better. As the scientific folk say you get 'hybrid vigor' in a mule, all the good features of a donkey plus the size from the horse.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by BGHillbilly
    Everybody always looked for '* hunting' mules in these parts. Much better to hunt off of at night and the big thing was they could jump fences flatfooted much better. As the scientific folk say you get 'hybrid vigor' in a mule, all the good features of a donkey plus the size from the horse.

Wow never knew I had a forum member so close

yea I have saw * hunters put a saddle blanket on a barbed wire fence and their mules would clear the fence like a deer would
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most mules are more level headed and less prone to panic than most horses. Some folks think horses are prettier.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by danielgage
    Absolutely!

That's some Steep Trail Work right there!!!
  • Options
    BGHillbillyBGHillbilly Member Posts: 1,927 ✭✭
    edited November -1

yea I have saw * hunters put a saddle blanket on a barbed wire fence and their mules would clear the fence like a deer would
    If you know where Beech is your doing better than 90% of the people that live 15 miles away.
  • Options
    edited November -1

If you know where Beech is your doing better than 90% of the people that live 15 miles away.
    yea not far from Stanford and not too far from Paragould

I am on the west side of Jonesboro Bono area
  • Options
    8000fthi8000fthi Member Posts: 864 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My dad farmed with a pair of mules in1944 in Baldwin Wi. Ol Dick and Molly. Worked all day with only 3 brakes. They were Union Mules. Needed their three breaks. Mules have a rough gait to ride a smooth ride.
  • Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Granddaddy was a mule trader/broker and he loved them [:)], they made him RICH [;)]

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    swopjanswopjan Member Posts: 3,292
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 8000fthi
    My dad farmed with a pair of mules in1944 in Baldwin Wi. Ol Dick and Molly. Worked all day with only 3 brakes. They were Union Mules. Needed their three breaks. Mules have a rough gait to ride a smooth ride.

[:D][:D]
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I figured with all of your world travels you would have at least been to Mexico once [:D]
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    As has been said, mules are where it's at. The reason most people don't get along with mules is, mules is smarter than most people.
    Had a Walker mule, out of a Tennesse Walking mare, a truely 5 gated mule, best travling critter I ever rode. Your much better off with a mollie mule, jack mules have never forgotten someone cut thier ho ho's off, a mollie will mother up to you in time.
    Great indian fighter General Miles rode a big jack mule, read about it in his biography.
    Mule sense will wear longer, wash cleaner and iron without wrinkling.
    Festus Hagen said that.[;)]
    W.D.
  • Options
    leatherbeadleatherbead Member Posts: 138 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Dad ran moon shine during proabition at age 12 on the back of his mule. He spoke of that mule like it was his dog. Trained to do anything and go anywhere.
  • Options
    kevind6kevind6 Member Posts: 208 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

I recognize one of the gentlemen in the video, he was the one that sold me my mule. First time I went riding with him and his brother we were on the top of a steep mountain with the trucks parked a mile below. He turned and winked and asked if I was ready to go on a "mule luge." With that, he pointed his mule down hill and gave it the spurs and off we all went on a dead run straight to the bottom dodging trees, brush, and rockslides. Scared the guts outa me but the mules handled it fine.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Mule sense will wear longer, wash cleaner and iron without wrinkling.
    Festus Hagen said that.

I like that saying [^]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kevind6

I recognize one of the gentlemen in the video, he was the one that sold me my mule. First time I went riding with him and his brother we were on the top of a steep mountain with the trucks parked a mile below. He turned and winked and asked if I was ready to go on a "mule luge." With that, he pointed his mule down hill and gave it the spurs and off we all went on a dead run straight to the bottom dodging trees, brush, and rockslides. Scared the guts outa me but the mules handled it fine.

that sounds like fun

if I was a little younger
  • Options
    we_dig_itwe_dig_it Member Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Stubborn as a mule" came from somewhere...........[:)]
  • Options
    Jim RauJim Rau Member Posts: 3,550
    edited November -1
    Yes it did and it is true. [;)]
    Mine is still young, 3 years old, and is not the least bit aggressive (except that he and one of my quarter horse gilding will literally wrestle) but he is a hand full while riding him alone, but he does comply. With a group of riders he is no problem.[:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It seems that thre is much more to mules than meets the eye and that a good mule is like a jeep or 4X4.
  • Options
    MVPMVP Member Posts: 25,074
    edited November -1
    My proffessional Cougar hunter friend used to ride the Mule because they wont * at the sight of a cougar like most horses do. Atleast that was the reason he gave me.
  • Options
    MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    Most problems with riding mules is the rider's lack of understanding of them. People call a mule stubborn when in fact that mule is smart enough not to get you or himself hurt. When the mule is tired he will atop and rest. A horse will go on till it drops. A horse will eat itself to death when a mule will stop when they are full. Let a dog try and chase a mule and that dog will end up with his head caved in. A horse will let that same dog chase it bitting at it's heels till the horse either is hurt from the dog or the horse hurts itself.

As a kid my grandfather plowed with a team of mules out of a Belgium mare. At the end of the day all you had to do was unhook the mules and they would go straight to their stalls and stand there. I would walk in and take off their harness. About as automatic as it comes. As a little kid I would ride them into the barn thinking I was actually taking them back to the barn. I later realized that they were taking themselves to the barn. Sometimes we were a mile away from the barn but those mules knew their way home.