In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

First Day at the Boat Ramp

TooBigTooBig Member Posts: 28,560 ✭✭✭
edited May 2012 in General Discussion
http://www.bitoffun.com/video_vault/boat-launch-fun.htm

[:D][}:)][:0][?] They walk among us and now to get the boat back out[8]

Comments

• Options
    gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    WOW!!!! That's crazy!!!![:D][:D][:D]
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    One Word.

Winch
  • Options
    KSUmarksmanKSUmarksman Member Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ROFL!

there's never an LVT around when you really need one, is there?
  • Options
    tacking1tacking1 Member Posts: 3,844
    edited November -1
    I am just a dumb old country ox so please forgive me for asking.

Would you EVER be able to launch/retrieve a boat from a trailer through the surf?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tacking1

Would you EVER be able to launch/retrieve a boat from a trailer through the surf?

I think its one of those cases where it is possible in THEORY, but the probability of success is very, VERY low...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    When I was a kid, I worked at a marina on a small river. A guy shows up on a busy Saturday afternoon with a brand new Yellow Sea Ray I/O about 18' long. He has Mom, Sis, Little brother, Neighbor kids, etc along for the maiden voyage. He backs down the ramp, releases the winch but leaves the hook attached to the bow eye. The boat floats off the trailer beautifully and his wife yells "Go" he jerks the trailer out from under the boat and drags this thing 15-20' up the concrete ramp with the winch cable! Man, was it a job to push it back into the river, just so the poor guy could put it back on the trailer!
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,484 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That was pretty good.

All told, could anyone else count more the 20 brain cells in the picture at any one time?
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    joker5656joker5656 Member Posts: 5,598 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Only if you have a tractor, you can learn by watching the video[:D]
  • Options
    m88.358winm88.358win Member Posts: 7,272 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bad day right there.[:D]
  • Options
    KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    just another example of why some people shouldnt be allowed out of the house without a helmet and a chaperone.....
  • Options
    skicatskicat Member Posts: 14,431
    edited November -1
    Every year I threaten to go to a busy public launch on fishing opener and shoot video of all the once a year warriors launch and retrieve their boats. One of my favorites is the guy in the boat hollering directions to his wife on how to back a trailer.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Had a dude here forgot to put his Escalade in park,, the SUV sunk but the boat floated off the trailer....
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Watched a Toyota try and launch a 16' fishing boat off a ramp. Didn't set the brake and the truck went backwards and completely out of sight. Boat was floating on top the water.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I like the ones where they forget to take the tie downs off the boat that holds it to the trailer... LOL
  • Options
    bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't know where that is but they sure have an overabundance of stupid people there.
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It is all those Yankees that come to Florida.... We have more than our share...
  • Options
    andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I knew a guy who intentionally did not unstrap the boat from the trailer and instead unhitched the ball once the boat and trailer were in deep enough. He wanted to transport the trailer across the lake to a concrete ramp that lead up to a boat garage up a slope behind his cabin. From there, he just used an electric winch to drag the boat and trailer up and into the garage. Then, whenever he wanted to use the boat, he just reversed the winch and let the boat and trailer roll back down to the water.
    The method worked pretty well. He couldn't go very fast with that trailer slung below the boat, but he had only a mile to go. You couldn't even really see the trailer hanging down there. He just ran it at the center of the ramp and connected the winch cable to the ball hitch on the trailer. Slick as a whistle. I thought it was a pretty cool way to solve the problem. [:D]
  • Options
    roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,127 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    o my
    Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.
  • Options
    asopasop Member Posts: 8,911 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's probably the cleanest his vehicle has ever been[:D]
  • Options
    Removed at users request.Removed at users request. Member Posts: 3,027
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Don McManus
    That was pretty good.

All told, could anyone else count more the 20 brain cells in the picture at any one time?

My thinking exactly. Marinade my truck or tractor in salt water? Nope.
  • Options
    westernMDhunterwesternMDhunter Member Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's amazing what you see at the lake here when waiting for your turn at the boat ramp in the summer. Spring and Fall is smooth, pretty much everyone is in and out. Summertime and opening day of Bass season brings about some of the funniest people you would ever want to see at a boat ramp while you wait for your turn.
  • Options
    BeeramidBeeramid Member, Moderator Posts: 7,264 ******
    edited November -1
    The Continental Shelf is not a boat launch[:o)]

They're all stupid in my opinion.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm generally against motor vehicles on a public beach period...except medical emergencies where the lifeguards/EMTs/good-samaritan has to take a vehicle to the person in distress.

sunbathers/kids making sandcastles + sand dunes + car/truck is a good combination for a death or dismemberment...

I have no idea why they tried to launch a boat on the beach...
  • Options
    Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never had vehicle problems at the ramp but once I did forget to put the plug in the boat. Crawled in the boat to fire it up and pull off the trailer and heard a noise that sounded like a stuck toilet. Hurried up and got the boat back out of the water to drain it but I was surpised the trailer didn't collapse [:D]
  • Options
    redhawkk480redhawkk480 Member Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would say those folks where all _____________ but Nunn says i can't use that word [:D]
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,009 ******
    edited November -1
    WOW [:D][:D][:D][:0][:0]
  • Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One helluva video! Swamp People don't have anything on those folks..We use to run the Gulf Beaches with old jalopies with cut off fenders and dual wheels,if they rusted,we just stopped by the junk yard on the way home....No vehicles on the beaches as of now..[:D]
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lot of misjudgments there but what I seen was a bunch of people willing to help someone.
  • Options
    Blade SlingerBlade Slinger Member Posts: 5,891
    edited November -1
    When I was younger we would get two twelve packs and two lawn chairs and spend the day at the local launch watching the free show.Funnier than a monkey with crotch crickets[:D]
  • Options
    footlongfootlong Member Posts: 8,009
    edited November -1
    As a kid l had an uncle get the back of his new 57 Chevy Bel Aire ht wet at the boat ramp. No problem except he had an open bag of fertilizer in the trunk that got wet. Bout a year later the whole back end of the car had rusted out.

50 yrs ago you could drive on the Grand Strand at Myrtle Beach. Grand Mama lived right on the SWASH there. l can remember watching people from the Mid West visiting the ocean for the first time.They would actually drive their cars on to the strand and wash them in salt water. We all used to comment about those dumb yankees. INSTANT RUSTMOBILE [:0]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Big Sky Redneck
    Never had vehicle problems at the ramp but once I did forget to put the plug in the boat. Crawled in the boat to fire it up and pull off the trailer and heard a noise that sounded like a stuck toilet. Hurried up and got the boat back out of the water to drain it but I was surpised the trailer didn't collapse [:D]

When I was in high school, I went to launch my boat (17' I/O)for the first time of the season. We used to leave the boat in the water year round so I wasn't too experienced in launching boats.
    My girlfriend comes with to "help". I launch the boat, park the truck and trailer, start the engine and head towards the gas dock because I'm about empty. My girlfriend says, hey there's alot of water back here.....And of course I ignored her. Then she shouts and I look, yup forgot the plug!! I speed up and start driving around in circles so I don't get too far from the gas pier at the same time draining the bilge with the plug out. I finally ran out of gas, got the plug in with most of the water out and had to paddle back to the gas pier!!
    Just about anyone who never forgot a bilge plug hasn't launched too many boats!!![:D][:D]
  • Options
    footlongfootlong Member Posts: 8,009
    edited November -1
    Girlfriends - boats PLUGS [8D]
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Our boat is too big to pull with any car in the family. We dock it for the year and part of the dock fee is that the marina owner comes up with his 1930s vintage Farmall tractor and drags the boat down from the cottage driveway to the marina.

Job done.
  • Options
    River RatRiver Rat Member Posts: 9,022
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by us55840

Under the video it says "Terre Neuve" so where would that be?

my best guess is San Diego --- weird stuff happens in CA [8D]

[/quote]

That wasn't San Diego. Surf way too mild. That kind of shallow beach looked like East Coast or Gulf. Did we get a fix on location?
  • Options
    andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I found only two. One in Newfoundland and one in the Caribbean on Saint Barthelmy. It looks way too warm to be any beach in Newfoundland so I'll lean towards it probably being the Caribbean location.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by andrewsw16
    I found only two. One in Newfoundland and one in the Caribbean on Saint Barthelmy. It looks way too warm to be any beach in Newfoundland so I'll lean towards it probably being the Caribbean location.

waaaaaaaay too many white folks to be in the Caribbean.
  • Options
    gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1

In a word....NO! Surf always wins. Always fun to go to the boat ramp and get a few laughs..at idiots who think they know it all. Gets expensive some time, as these good ole boys are finding out[:D]
  • Options
    BeeramidBeeramid Member, Moderator Posts: 7,264 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gary wray

In a word....NO! Surf always wins. Always fun to go to the boat ramp and get a few laughs..at idiots who think they know it all. Gets expensive some time, as these good ole boys are finding out[:D]

Most good ole boys know how to drop a boat in the water, these have got to be city folks.
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's a slow motion train wreck...or more like fly paper, each one jumping into the fly paper to save the other not heeding the warning laying out before them. Ruined several nice vehicles..dumbazzes

some other poor basterd is gonna buy that Explorer off a used car lot and get totally hosed [xx(]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Beeramid
    quote:Originally posted by gary wray

Most good ole boys know how to drop a boat in the water, these have got to be city folks.

does your post indicate that you CAN launch a boat through the surf? I can see doing it with some pretty major equipment. Can you explain?