In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

No insurance ticket......ooops

Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,909 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
I never look at the crap in the glove box. We just pay the bills and fix things that break. My oldest went through a road block and our proof of insurance had expired last year. That is just funny. I told her she gets to call the insurance company and get them to e-mail her another one. I just can't believe how long it has been without us realizing the cards weren't in the car. I will check the others tomorrow.
LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com

Comments

• NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    Road Block, WTH. What was she stopped for? What was the PC?
  • Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,909 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have been stopped a few times for these things. They stop the cars and everyone slowly drives through showing their license and proof of insurance as they pass the officers. If you can't you have to pull to the side. She couldn't find hers so she got a ticket.

I am certain that this little block is really to catch drunks out on the road because of the holiday. They are pretty common things around here. I'm all for catching the drunks and I want everyone to have insurance....so I don't mind the stops myself. I just can't believe it has been a YEAR since I thought about that car's info being up to date.
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Jacob2008Jacob2008 Member Posts: 19,528 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    memorial day - Had checkpoints every 10 miles here. If you were speeding ANY or swerving where a cop could see, your * was grass, so I hear. We drove a good 60 miles today, dad and I.. State trooper sat every 10-11 miles exactly, hunched over on their knees with a radar gun, or standing with arms resting on the open back door with some kinda binocular things.
    edited November -1
    BTW LF- Normally if you can show proof that your insurance was valid at the time of the stop, just didnt have adequate proof, the ticket gets thrown out and you only pay court costs. At least thats what it is here in MO... It is a Law, from what I was told.
  • 35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Guess it "pays" to keep track of that "crap", eh?[;)]
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 35WhelenClassic
    Guess it "pays" to keep track of that "crap", eh?[;)]
    [:D][:D]
  • btkbtk Member Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Nwcid
    Road Block, WTH. What was she stopped for? What was the PC?

Roablocks have been deemed costitutional, due to the fact driving on public roadway is a privilege not a right. It's constitutional to stop all vehicles on a roadway at a certian time. It is not constitutional to stop certain vehicles at random without probable cause.
    edited November -1
    She just has to show she has insurance and they will throw the ticket away. These blocks look kind of like there is an awful wreck ahead....and then when you get close you can see officers standing in the road, leaning over into cars and looking at people's paperwork. I would love to see how many people turn around to avoid going through the checks.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Locust Fork
    She just has to show she has insurance and they will throw the ticket away. These blocks look kind of like there is an awful wreck ahead....and then when you get close you can see officers standing in the road, leaning over into cars and looking at people's paperwork. I would love to see how many people turn around to avoid going through the checks.
    Around here you best not do that, because they have chase cars set aside for these specific people. If youre not doing anything wrong, there should be no problem. Your daughters thing was an honest mistake, is all.
    edited November -1
    I would love to see how many people turn around to avoid going through the checks.

Sounds like "papers please" to me.

I know if we had that crap here I would would turn around. Sure I may get pulled over but they are going to have to work for it.

I'm all for catching the drunks and I want everyone to have insurance....so I don't mind the stops myself.

I am kinda shocked to hear you say that for as long as you have been on here. This is no less then another step to a police state and that is NOT ok in this country. If this is ok then what is the next thing that becomes ok after being dumbed down a bit.

If you are breaking the law then by all means they have the right to pull you over. You have the right to freely move about this country.
  • BeeramidBeeramid Member Posts: 7,264 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

The funniest check point I ever saw, we came up on a sign that said "Narcotics Checkpoint" (looked like someone had finger painted them, probably some inmates) there was a police car on each shoulder of the road all lit up. We pulled up and came to a complete stop, and there was not an officer to be seen anywhere. That night the moon was high and bright and just on the other side of some railroad tracks you could vaguely make out the top profile of a few cruisers lying in wait.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Jacob2008
    Around here you best not do that, because they have chase cars set aside for these specific people. If youre not doing anything wrong, there should be no problem. Your daughters thing was an honest mistake, is all.

Jacob I know you have been around. That is NOT the point. I should not have to be detained, and this is nothing less then that, when I am traveling freely and breaking no laws.

Well if you are not breaking the law you have not problem registering all your guns. Or how about having to put a thumb print on a card when buying a gun or ammo, why not they are doing it at banks now for cashing checks. How about the Gov wire taping all your phones and email. How about doing anything else that restricts you even though you are "not doing anything wrong"?
  • D1D1 Member Posts: 11,412
    edited November -1
    It's a "No Proof Of Insurance" ticket.
    edited November -1
    Driving is different....and I appreciate them checking things out. Have you ever been hit by someone WITHOUT insurance? I have....and it is a MAJOR setback when you only have liability insurance and someone else totals your car. (Oh...and it was a Mexican that nobody could ever find with a stolen ID.)

Plus....these checks find people that are drunk and NOBODY should ever drink and drive. They need to go to jail.

Driving on the road is different than what you do in your own home....or on your computer. People on the road actually have a BIG chance that their retardedness will affect others. Strolling around minding your own business is one thing. Riding a bus is another....but with driving comes responsibilities. I was just slipping and have to set things right. I almost wish there were checks more often. Then maybe my insurance rates would drop because you KNOW things would be safer.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Jacob2008

Jacob I know you have been around. That is NOT the point. I should not have to be detained, and this is nothing less then that, when I am traveling freely and breaking no laws.

Well if you are not breaking the law you have not problem registering all your guns. Or how about having to put a thumb print on a card when buying a gun or ammo, why not they are doing it at banks now for cashing checks. How about the Gov wire taping all your phones and email. How about doing anything else that restricts you even though you are "not doing anything wrong"?

I do not care, TO A LIMIT. I stand corrected. If it is police stops, I am glad they do it. It protects my family and myself feel safer removing the drunks from the road. And just for you, every time I am in one I will thank them for doing it. Now, about the fingerprinting- thats BS. Pretty sure my prints are in the system anyways, but thats not the point. Government wire taps whatever they want anyways, they do it more often than you may think. There is nothing you can do about it, they'll do it with consent or they'll find a way to detain you, THEN do it.. Most you'll do refusing a police checkpoint is piss an officer off.
  • Queen of SwordsQueen of Swords Member Posts: 14,355
    edited November -1
    We call them "revenue generators." PA State Police announced at the beginning of the week they would have "seatbelt checkpoints" set up on roads across the state, to ensure drivers were in compliance with the state seatbelt requirments, but I'm pretty sure they were also checking for licence, insurance, registration, inspection, etc...

I've always wanted to pull up to one of those things and say...

"You don't need to see my identification.
    These aren't the droids you are looking for..."
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    While yer ranting about having your driver's license and insurance checked WHILE YOU ARE DRIVING A CAR (How dare they?!?!) could you spare a moment for those of us that seem to live on airplanes?

C&P from the TSA website:
    "Effective June 21, 2008, adult passengers (18 and over) are required to show a U.S. federal or state-issued photo ID that contains the following: name, date of birth, gender, expiration date and a tamper-resistant feature in order to be allowed to go through the checkpoint and onto their flight. "

I watch TSA (Take Scissors Away) staff examining IDs under a magnifier- and bouncing folks that have an (Horrors!) EXPIRED driver's license. (Never realized that guy was gonna drive the airplane- good thing they checked his license) You want to see "Your papahs, plez" visit any airport. O'Hare, Philly, and BWI are what I imagine Purgatory must be like.

BTW, notice the C&P says expiration date? My military ID has said INDEF since 1969.
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,858 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    I am kinda shocked to hear you say that for as long as you have been on here. This is no less then another step to a police state and that is NOT ok in this country. If this is ok then what is the next thing that becomes ok after being dumbed down a bit.

If you are breaking the law then by all means they have the right to pull you over. You have the right to freely move about this country.

That's it.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    If you turn around to avoid the check point, they will come get you and site you for avoiding a checkpoint.
  • legearlegear Member Posts: 6,716
    edited November -1
    I got stopped at one of these here in montgomery. The roadblocks are mostly setup in/around low income areas. I think its a crime to turn around and avoid a roadblock here.
  • Spider7115Spider7115 Member Posts: 29,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rcrxs old lady
    We call them "revenue generators." PA State Police announced at the beginning of the week they would have "seatbelt checkpoints" set up on roads across the state, to ensure drivers were in compliance with the state seatbelt requirments, but I'm pretty sure they were also checking for licence, insurance, registration, inspection, etc...

I've always wanted to pull up to one of those things and say...

"You don't need to see my identification.
    These aren't the droids you are looking for..."

It's the same in NY State. I know for a fact that NYS Troopers have been told to issue citations for anything and everything because the state is broke and needs the money. [:(!]
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    The "dismissed" ticket will likely cost you $60 to $80 in fees.

BTDT.

Doug
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I had a seatbelt ticket voided and it cost 5 bucks here in Florida.
  • turkeyinstrutturkeyinstrut Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Court costs alone here in West Virginia is 163.50 I know my wife got a ticket a couple months ago for expired operators lisence.