In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Shooting at a gun show in PA

OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
edited July 2014 in General Discussion
my father just told me that he was at a gun show with my mom, in Bloomsburg PA and a vendor was showing a lady how to work a concealed holster. He pulled his gun and accidentally shot her in the thigh. She told police it was an accident, but the vendor was charged anyway. The story is on the net but I cannot find it.Dad told me that the whole place was quite as a church and every one ducted when the gun went off. This is the second show this has happened at in PA in the last year. The other one happened at split rock lodge in the poconos.

Comments

• Options
    CoolhandLukeCoolhandLuke Member Posts: 7,825 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bet the culprit is the new Glock 380[}:)]
    We have to fight so we can run away.
    Capt. Jack Sparrow.
  • Options
    Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Onehandude

Couldn't be. It's impossible to accidentally defeat the 3 safeties on Glock's safe-action design.
  • Options
    bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Onehandude

I'm pretty sure the culprit is Geoffrey Hawk.

[img][/img]imagejpg1_zps5118a5c4.jpg
  • Options
    47studebaker47studebaker Member Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    no charges yet. Vendor thinks someone slipped a shell into the display. It was reported on ch. 16 the lady doesn't hold vendor at fault.
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Around here absolutely no concealed carry at shows.
  • Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by chiefr
    Same here...
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Do they use metal detectors or frisk people coming in? If they don't then how do they know if someone has a gun on them or not?
  • Options
    competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Probably one of the oldest mistakes people make with semi-autos; they remove the magazine and forget the round in the chamber.

That's why manufacturers introduced magazine safeties soon after semi-autos became popular for carry in the early part of the 20th century.

He still violated additional safety rules for that accidental discharge to happen -- like that one about having his finger on the trigger (and pulling it) when he shouldn't have!
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The lawyers are lining up for that case...

Politicians right behind.[:o)]
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,476 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Around here you can conceal carry, but all firearms are checked at the door and verified as unloaded.

So, I guess, no concealed carry.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The lady that was shot has already forgiven the shooter. lol
  • Options
    fideaufideau Member Posts: 11,893 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would be surprised if it wasn't a Glock.
  • Options
    CoolhandLukeCoolhandLuke Member Posts: 7,825 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fideau
    I would be surprised if it wasn't a Glock.

That was my line[:D], the new 380 just watch, what are odds?
    We have to fight so we can run away.
    Capt. Jack Sparrow.
  • Options
    ChrisInTempeChrisInTempe Member Posts: 15,562
    edited November -1
    Read several news reports. The vendor was at fault. You pull the trigger on a gun you are at fault for what happens next. Doesn't matter if somebody unknown to you did something stupid, tried to set you up, whatever.

You are responsible for your gun handling practices ALWAYS.

If someone else is also involved, well hope that idiot gets found out, arrested, etc.
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Smitty500mag

Do they use metal detectors or frisk people coming in? If they don't then how do they know if someone has a gun on them or not?

Interestingly, they wand people when they leave. Any weapon brought in is tagged with a sticky dot and if you buy, you get a sticky dot placed on your purchase. No dot: security will not let you leave. I have seen both private security & local PD acting as security.
  • Options
    317wc317wc Member Posts: 924 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Even if a vendors guns are verified as unloaded, it can still happen. I was at an auction one time, they must have had 200-300 guns out on display. I picked up one shotgun, maybe an Ithaca or Winchester I don't really remember, checked the action, and it was still loaded![:0] It would have been easy for someone to not check and accidentally shoot someone. I reported it to the auction manager, they made a announcement right away about safety, unloaded guns, finger off the trigger, etc. So yes, it can happen. The vendor did screw up, he should have left his finger off the trigger, and I'd bet he dropped the magazine, but never checked the chamber.
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Don McManus

Around here you can conceal carry, but all firearms are checked at the door and verified as unloaded.

So, I guess, no concealed carry.

Same in PA
  • Options
    COBmmcmssCOBmmcmss Member Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was at that show about 3 tables away and tended to the woman who was shot until the EMT's got there with the gurney. People were NOT ducking left and right. In fact, they all stood around like the proverbial deer in the headlights. She was in good spirits despite being shot in the thigh. Utter disbelief on her part.

The vendor was asked to leave by the sponsor after the investigation showed it to be his fault. The signs clearly state "No Loaded Weapons" at the door. He didn't have a rubber gun for the .380 and used his own gun for it.

As to why it had a round in the chamber, he claims he can't explain it. The police will continue to investigate for liability but she could "own him" after this incident.

The shame of it all is that it's another black mark for gun owners who don't perform the basics of gun safety.

COB
  • Options
    tapwatertapwater Member Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ..Four simple words:...Finger off the trigger. No excuse. Yes,
    I've had a negligent discharge. I'm not proud of it, but I'm much older and wiser for it. Luckily, I was alone, which is how I still prefer it.
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,531 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by drobs

yep
  • Options
    ChrisInTempeChrisInTempe Member Posts: 15,562
    edited November -1
    Police Plan to Charge Gun Vendor Over Shooting
    http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/cops-vendor-shoots-woman-pennsylvania-gun-show-24356413

http://wnep.com/2014/06/28/woman-shot-at-gun-show-in-bloomsburg/
    Police in Columbia County said vendor Geoffrey Hawk, the owner of "In Case of Emergency," shot Krysta Gearhart of Orangeville in the thigh with a semi-automatic .380 while demonstrating a concealed carry holster. Usually, the demonstration is done with a plastic model of a gun.

Woman shot at Pa. gun show by dealer demonstrating semiautomatic: Are shows safe?
    http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2014/06/woman_shot_at_pa_gun_show_by_d.html

Woman shot at Pa. gun show speaks out about 'horrible accident' in Bloomsburg
    http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2014/06/woman_shot_at_pa_gun_show_spea.html

It's all over YouTube:
    http://tinyurl.com/l9382u9
  • Options
    BLKSRT8BLKSRT8 Member Posts: 631 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This was in our local paper yesturday.

img032.jpg
  • Options
    47studebaker47studebaker Member Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    WNEP just reported the gun was a .38 and they were demonstrating a "wallet Holster"
  • Options
    roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,124 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So .380 is better than a .45 in this case...
    Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.
  • Options
    llama girlllama girl Member Posts: 605 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have been to many gun shows in Pa. I live in Pa. All that needs to verified is the tooth to tattoo ratio. There are some real Penntards out there.