In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

John Wayne Day

grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
edited April 2016 in General Discussion
Will not happen.

quote:SACRAMENTO, Calif. - What a California lawmaker intended as a benign resolution honoring a late, world-renowned movie icon exploded into an emotional debate over decades-old racist comments Thursday.

The state Assembly defeated the official ode to John Wayne after several legislators described statements he made about racial minorities and his support for the anti-communist House Un-American Activities Committee and John Birch Society.

Known as "Duke," a nickname he picked up as a boy in Glendale, California, Wayne grew into the star of movies including "The Alamo," ''The Green Beret," and "True Grit," for which he won an Academy Award, while portraying the gruff, rugged cowboys and brave soldiers who were his stock in trade.

Republican State Assemblyman Matthew Harper of Huntington Beach sought to declare May 26, 2016, as John Wayne Day to mark the day the actor was born.

"He had disturbing views towards race," objected Assemblyman Luis Alejo, D-Watsonville, leading off a 20-minute debate.

Alejo cited a 1971 interview with Playboy in which Wayne talked disparagingly about blacks.

"I believe in white supremacy until the blacks are educated to a point of responsibility. I don't believe in giving authority and positions of leadership and judgment to irresponsible people," he told the magazine (http://bit.ly/1SwJCDa .)

Assemblyman Mike Gipson, D-Carson, who is black, said he found Wayne's comments personally offensive.

Assemblywoman Lorena Gonzalez, D-San Diego, cited his comments defending white Europeans' encroachment on American Indians who Wayne once said "were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves."

Wayne is the latest deceased white icon to recently come under attack. Former President Andrew Jackson, a slave owner and Indian fighter, is being removed from the face of the $20 bill. Princeton University recently announced that former U.S. President Woodrow Wilson's name will remain on its public policy school despite calls to remove it because he was a segregationist.

Harper's resolution fell on a 35-20 vote to what Harper called "the orthodoxy of political correctness."

"Opposing the John Wayne Day resolution is like opposing apple pie, fireworks, baseball, the Free Enterprise system and the Fourth of July!" he said later in a written statement.

Harper said he sought the resolution, ACR137, to keep up with a Texas resolution commemorating Wayne's birthday a year ago.

He represents the legislative district that includes John Wayne Airport in Orange County. The airport, among the largest in California, was renamed after Wayne's death in 1979 and hosts a nine-foot-tall statue of the actor.

"I think the assemblyman would know if there was a cross word about having the airport named after him," said Harper's spokeswoman, Madeleine Cooper.

Several lawmakers supported the resolution, recalling Wayne as an American hero whose family created a namesake cancer foundation after his death.

"He stood for those big American values that we know and we love," said Assemblyman Travis Allen, R-Huntington Beach.

Lawmakers have honored others despite controversies that eventually clouded their legacies, said Assemblyman Donald Wagner, R-Irvine. Wagner cited President Franklin Roosevelt, who has been honored despite his internment of Japanese Americans during World War II.

"Every one of us is imperfect," Wagner said.

Comments

• Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by grumpygy
    quote:

oh_rearry.jpg
  • Options
    woodhogwoodhog Member Posts: 13,115 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    unless you evaluate a person in the context of the time in which they lived, it is pointless to compare A to B. ie. Harry S. Truman dropped the A bomb on people!! But in the light of 1945 it was the best option, history has proved.
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    I noticed it's all the "D" people that don't want it and they cannot accept anything the "R" people want.... Sad
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,294 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Spider7115
    quote:Originally posted by grumpygy
    quote:

oh_rearry.jpg
    You stole my line.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    4627046270 Member Posts: 12,627
    edited November -1
    He'll yes, let's have a john Wayne day,
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes I believe in all he said except that he talked the talk but wouldn't walk the walk. There was no excuse.
    Nevertheless, he was a patriot who stood for the right things.
    In those days actors and actresses worked hard keeping their private life consistent with their movie images.
    Many Hollywood actors and important personages did walk the walk without fanfare putting their azzs on the line in WW2. They had wives and children and could have elected to be deferred.
    He wasn't an actual western gunfighter or good guy with a white hat.
    That was his Hollywood persona.
    During WW2, men out of uniform were openly scorned.
    I remember it well.
  • Options
    Dads3040Dads3040 Member Posts: 13,552 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is getting to be less and less reason to allow California to exist.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Dads3040
    There is getting to be less and less reason to allow California to exist.

Somedays you would just wish it would slide into the pacific, and carry all the candyass's with it
  • Options
    truthfultruthful Member Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Folks need to remember that John Wayne was an actor. Just an actor, not a hero of any sort. His life was totally make believe. When many others in the sports and entertainment world interrupted their lives to serve in WWII, he declined to do so. But he never declined to pretend to be a hero on the screen.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by truthful
    Folks need to remember that John Wayne was an actor. Just an actor, not a hero of any sort. His life was totally make believe. When many others in the sports and entertainment world interrupted their lives to serve in WWII, he declined to do so. But he never declined to pretend to be a hero on the screen.

He never claimed to be a hero. He actually said that he didn't understand how a normal love of country could get someone labeled a super patriot. That said, it is also undeniable that Wayne was 34 or 35 when the war started, had 3 or 4 kids, had injuries from sports and doing his own stunts early in his career, and was classified very low in the draft for those reasons. He did not decline to serve, but actually tried to get a commission. BTW, the only men who were movie stars at the time that actually served in combat were Gable and Stewart.

In addition, his work on war bond sales, troop entertainment, and other war related support activities was second to none.

Other than that, your claims are spot on.
  • Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ...you do know John Wayne was a draft dodger?[:o)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by truthful
    I think this is why he made so many war movies....he regretted not serving...[:(]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pwillie
    ...you do know John Wayne was a draft dodger?[:o)]

How is it possible to 'know' something that has been disproved so many times it could be a Nigerian email?
  • Options
    fideaufideau Member Posts: 11,893 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What he said in the magazine is true, even more so today because in all this time, there has been little to no progress, even backwards movement it seems.
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,486 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Dads3040

Other than that, your claims are spot on.

[:)]
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    skicatskicat Member Posts: 14,431
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fideau
    What he said in the magazine is true, even more so today because in all this time, there has been little to no progress, even backwards movement it seems.

Now you've done it. You'll never get "fideau day" now.
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,786 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    California is chock full of LIBERAL DEMOCRATs.

John Wayne was the antithesis of everything the DEMOCRAT party stands for.
  • Options
    cce1302cce1302 Member Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, at least California celebrates "Harvey Milk Day."
  • Options
    ltcdotyltcdoty Member Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by v35
    Yes I believe in all he said except that he talked the talk but wouldn't walk the walk. There was no excuse.
    In those days actors and actresses worked hard keeping their private life consistent with their movie images.
    Many Hollywood actors and important personages did walk the walk without fanfare putting their azzs on the line in WW2. They had wives and children and could have elected to be deferred.
    I remember it well.

+1000
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:"I believe in white supremacy until the blacks are educated to a point of responsibility. I don't believe in giving authority and positions of leadership and judgment to irresponsible people," he told the magazine (http://bit.ly/1SwJCDa .)

Assemblyman Mike Gipson, D-Carson, who is black, said he found Wayne's comments personally offensive.

I also find those comments offensive and on multiple levels. Positions of leadership are given to individuals, not to ethnic groups as a whole, and I can think of plenty of individual leaders who are not Black who don't deserve to hold them.

Still, fully 40 years after Wayne's death, I think its reasonable to look at his life's accomplishments in context. Did Wayne's good deeds outweigh his racist beliefs? Did Wayne actually ACT on his racist beliefs? I honestly don't know the answer to these questions. . .nor, much, do I care.

Wayne was an actor. An iconic one, for sure, but there are plenty of individuals with plenty of real world accomplishments other than being good at "make believe" on the silver screen who might more merit recognition.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by v35
    I remember it well.

I think a big part of the reason Wayne was such a "super-patriot" publically was because he felt guilty about not serving (or publically shamed. . .which amounts to the same thing), and he was trying to make up for it.

In any case, again, I don't get too excited about actors. Nothing wrong, with being an actor, but PLEASE don't ask me to think actors are super special individuals because they play outstanding roles on the screen.

Wayne in particular came up in the studio system with a carefully crafted public image, that he worked his whole career to promote. But in private, Wayne wasn't the most outstanding human being.

Apart from the above-mentioned racism, the guy was married three times, and was involved in multiple extramarital affairs. Some say he was alcoholic with a bad temper; he was definitely a chain smoker.

Again everyone is flawed, that's understood. But not sure why Wayne needs special recognition now.
  • Options
    tapwatertapwater Member Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ..Former President Andrew Jackson, a slave owner and Indian fighter, is being removed from the face of the $20 bill.

..How many in favor of Harriet Tubman on the twenty know even
    a skosh about Jackson? If you asked them about Jackson, they'd
    probably think you're talking about Jesse...[V]
  • Options
    Jim RauJim Rau Member Posts: 3,550
    edited November -1
    All BS aside, if we had more people with his character and high moral standards in the world today it would be a much better place. And to set the record straight. He wanted to enlist and he was specifically ask not to becasue he could serve the 'cause' much better here at home selling bounds and recruiting others. [8D]
    The quote I saw today on tv attributed to him about 'blacks' was not racist, just truthful! [:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Jim Rau
    All BS aside, if we had more people with his character and high moral standards in the world today it would be a much better place. And to set the record straight. He wanted to enlist and he was specifically ask not to becasue he could serve the 'cause' much better here at home selling bounds and recruiting others. [8D]
    The quote I saw today on tv attributed to him about 'blacks' was not racist, just truthful! [:)]

Yes, but why deal in the truth when lower life forms are trying to malign a decent person.

I did get a laugh out of the one delicate cupcake here who listed 'chain smoking' as a character flaw. Just when I am sure people couldn't be any more silly, someone makes a special effort.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dennisnielsen
    I would gladly teach those not taught to not speak ill of the dead. May your mother be trashed worse and her Street corner stolen. [:X]
    ....dam tough Dennis....did you know John Wayne had an affair with a h......[:o)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tapwater
    ..Former President Andrew Jackson, a slave owner and Indian fighter, is being removed from the face of the $20 bill.

..How many in favor of Harriet Tubman on the twenty know even
    a skosh about Jackson? If you asked them about Jackson, they'd
    probably think you're talking about Jesse...[V]

I won't have any of the new $20.
  • Options
    llama girlllama girl Member Posts: 605 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That stuff is from the KKK. Kommie Krap from Kalifornia.