In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

870 express or 1187 super mag?

we_dig_itwe_dig_it Member Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭
edited November 2013 in General Discussion
Im looking to purchase my 16 yr old a shotgun for Christmas. He loves to turkey hunt and dove hunt. He shoots a 3" shell while turkey hunting. He has a model 1100 he dove hunts with. The 1187 express is on sale at our Walmart for $285.00. Which would you choose? The 1187 only shoots a 3" shell and the 870 can shoot a 3.5" if he wanted to. The past 2 years he has killed turkeys with my 1187 super mag but Im wondering if he might like the auto........

Comments

• Options
    RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You sure you can get a Remington 1187 semi auto for 285 bucks? That is really a low low price.
  • Options
    iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gas operated 11-87 is a much softer shooter than a closed bolt 870.

I suggest the 11-87
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by RobOz
    You sure you can get a Remington 1187 semi auto for 285 bucks? That is really a low low price.

Im assuming I read it right...[:)] I held the gun because I wanted to see if it would shoot a 3.5" shell. It was a 1187 express camo with vent rib and screw in chokes. Reg price was 357.00 on sale for 285.00 until 12-2 13.......
  • Options
    edited November -1
    They also had the camo Mossberg pump on sale for 299.00.......
  • Options
    roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,124 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1187 [:D][:D][:D]. And it will probably be a gun he keeps so the trad walnut over camo.
    Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by we_dig_it

Im assuming I read it right...[:)] I held the gun because I wanted to see if it would shoot a 3.5" shell. It was a 1187 express camo with vent rib and screw in chokes. Reg price was 357.00 on sale for 285.00 until 12-2 13.......

I have always hunted with an 870 wingmaster but just got my first 1100. I say, go for it on the 11-87. That is a great price on a great gun, imho
  • Options
    RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

I think they may have marked them wrong.
  • Options
    edited November -1

I think they may have marked them wrong.

What do they normally run? I haven't bought a "new" shotgun in years
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Go with the 11-87.
    1. He is familiar with the platform and will not have to transition between a pump and a Semi auto.

2. No real need for 3.5" shells for turkey. The specialty ammo they have out now make the 3" just as deadly.

That is a killer price for a 11-87 BTW I would have jumped on that like a duck on a june bug
    RLTW

• Options
    edited November -1
    Im outta here to go pick it up[:D]

I will report back....thanks Guys