In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

need snake id

tazzertazzer Member Posts: 16,837
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
anyone know what kind of snake this might be,A friend at work caught him at WORK yikes anyways he took pic with his cell phone so it hard to really tell I was thinking maybe a ratsnake but his head is thoughing from the shape of it in one pic it looks like vemon pockets

4.jpg
7.jpg
2.jpg

Comments

• grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 48,464 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pictures are real hard to tell.

But look at this page.

http://www.discoverlife.org/20/q?search=Serpentes

There is a link for ID. It gives you choices on specifics like ccolor and scales. By making choices you can tell what you have.
  • carolinashootercarolinashooter Member Posts: 339 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    First guess is cottonmouth. That head is much wider than the neck. That and the coloration along with the thickness vs. length I would believe eliminates black racer/rat/king. If it is a cottonmouth, it's a BIG one. I would give it plenty of room.
  • txlawdogtxlawdog Member Posts: 10,039 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sabretoothed water rattler
    edited November -1
    Wow think cottonmouth has it.

stayaway1.jpg

This looks kind of like it.
  • tazzertazzer Member Posts: 16,837
    edited November -1
    not sure about it being a cotton mouth he said it was not agressive at all and that is not like a cottonmouth that I have ever ran up on they have allways wanted to take a bite of me lol
    I cant belive he caught it with out knowing what it was wish I could have seen it up close myself
    Iv caught rat snakes that look kinda like it and have caught them up to 5' long also
    just to hard to tell in the pic.
    edited November -1
    where you at Florida. Just saw Texas close enough[:o)]

floridacottonmouth1a.jpg

This one is a 30" one. looks real close.
    edited November -1
    heres a few more pic he sent me
    i dont think its head is as wide as it looked
    5.jpg
    6.jpg
    edited November -1
    not the same kinda of markings Im in east texas

quote:Originally posted by dnelson457
    where you at Florida. Just saw Texas close enough[:o)]

floridacottonmouth1a.jpg

This one is a 30" one. looks real close.
  • Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,697 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Those last pictures look like a Brown Water Snake.

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

edited November -1
    i was thinking after doing some seaching maybe its something in this line
    dimond back water snake

diamond_back_watersnake_on_log_post.jpg
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Old-Colts
    Those last pictures look like a Brown Water Snake.

kinda thought that maybe to only did not know why he would be around our office but we have had a ton of rain [:0][:D]
  • carolinashootercarolinashooter Member Posts: 339 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The shape of the head would be the tell-all. That first pic sure looks like it's head is arrowhead shaped. Around here a lot of brown water snakes are colored/marked like cottonmouths. If the head is not arrowhead shaped I would say brown water snake. This would be more in line with it not being too aggressive. Cottonmouths almost always have an attitude. Can you tell if the eye pupil was round or elliptical? Round = watersnake. Elliptical (cat like)= He was lucky! COTTONMOUTH. This method requires either a dead snake or someone with great eyesight!!
  • chollagardenschollagardens Member Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pictures are not clear enough. Ask him if there is a hole between the eyes and nose.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by chollagardens
    Pictures are not clear enough. Ask him if there is a hole between the eyes and nose.

I would but this was this morning adn hes sleep snice then he was on teh grav. shift and was leaving when he found it by the steps
    I came in this afternoon and was told about it and text him to send me the pic. snice he did not know what kind it was.
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,061 ******
    edited November -1
    Natrix rhombifera rhombifera. Diamond-backed Water Snake.

Non-poisonous. I won't call it "harmless" because it can and will bite the bejabbers out of you, and crap all over you in the bargain. They are very unpleasant snakes to handle. We have jillions of them around here.

http://www.geocities.com/onias_2000/diamondbackwatersnake.html

Diamond_Back_Water_Snake.jpg

Folks around here call them "water moccasins" and are generally scared to death of them. Leastwise the uneducated folks are. Give them room, that's all they need.

You Flarda boys included a picture of an Eastern Cottonmouth. We have the Western Cottonmouth in Texas, not as vividly marked as its Florida cousin.
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 26,020 ******
    edited November -1
    Looks like the brown water snakes around here. They are fearful of people and will try to get away as first sight.
  • grdad45grdad45 Member Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some of you are probably right, but I was gonna say it might be a copperheaded rattle moccasin.[:D]
    edited November -1
    hey Nunn thanks for posting it

taz
    edited November -1
    quote:hey Nunn thanks for posting it

taz

You're welcome. HeDog wasn't around, and someone had to take up the slack.
  • HeavyBarrelHeavyBarrel Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nunn
    Natrix rhombifera rhombifera. Diamond-backed Water Snake.

Non-poisonous. I won't call it "harmless" because it can and will bite the bejabbers out of you, and crap all over you in the bargain. They are very unpleasant snakes to handle. We have jillions of them around here.

http://www.geocities.com/onias_2000/diamondbackwatersnake.html

Diamond_Back_Water_Snake.jpg

Folks around here call them "water moccasins" and are generally scared to death of them. Leastwise the uneducated folks are. Give them room, that's all they need.

You Flarda boys included a picture of an Eastern Cottonmouth. We have the Western Cottonmouth in Texas, not as vividly marked as its Florida cousin.
    Who the heck calls anything but a Cottonmouth a Water moccasin?
    edited November -1
    quote:Who the heck calls anything but a Cottonmouth a Water moccasin?

People who don't know any better. To a lot of people, any aquatic snake is a water moccasin. If it isn't in the water, it must be a copperhead or a rattler.

I had a bozo wave me down one day not long ago, to report that he had a copperhead cornered on his driveway, and he was an expert on copperheads, since he had once been bitten by one. I looked at the snake and identified it as a Lined snake Lined Snake. (Tropidoclonion lineatum lineatum)

001_400_080202_WA_Head_and_Body.jpg

I told him I must be about to die, and I picked it up. I left him standing there with his mouth open and removed the snake several blocks away and released it.
  • wlfmn323wlfmn323 Member Posts: 4,712
    edited November -1
    snakes, kill em all let god sort em out.
  • yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,645 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If only I could see the head of the snake better. From the first and the last pic I would say a Solomon Island Ground Boa. Is the snout blunted (as in flat?)?
  • we_dig_itwe_dig_it Member Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Id say its some type of water snake. In the eastern part of NC cotton mouths and some water snake look similar. Cotton mouths are aggressive, water snakes will flee from you.