In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

This old house

searcher5searcher5 Member Posts: 13,511
edited January 2016 in General Discussion
I used to stand outside of my home, in the late night hours, after my family was in bed. I'd walk around it, and I was proud of it. I was proud that I was able to give my loved ones shelter, comfort, food, and warmth. I was able to give them security. I stood outside, and I thanked God for allowing me to be able to do that. I thanked God for the safety and security, for the peace that that home provided.
Now, my children are grown, with homes and families of their own. As it should be. My life has taken paths that I never saw coming. That's ok, too. Life, I expect, becomes stagnant if it stays the same for too long. No stagnation here! (ha). Anyway, I reckon the prufrocks are on me a bit tonight, and my home is suffering the pains of neglect, and so am I, I reckon. Both of my own doing. My home still stands, though a little beat up, and I still stand, though a little beat up. I expect we'll both last a while longer, though both of us seem to have served our purpose.
To make a long story short, which I am obviously not very good at, it made this song by Stuart Hamblen come to mind.
Now, Stuart Hamblen knew a few things about life. He wrote the song "It is no secret what God can do" after refusing a drink offered by John Wayne. I'ts a good read on his life, if you want.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stuart_Hamblen

I digress, however, and ramble on. This old house. This old man. God bless. Dan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WhLhF12TBE

Comments

• Options
    AmishAmish Member Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I though you were talking about the TV show!
  • Options
    Dads3040Dads3040 Member Posts: 13,552 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I understand, Dan. I still do the walk. Usually in the summer when I am having a cigar and a wee drap. I am the first person in my family in two generations to purchase a home without help from anyone. Now I own it, and the property is what I refer to as my own private park. My son grew up here, and is working on how to launch his own life from here.

You have a lot to be proud of, and the house reminds you of it. The song is a pretty cool expression of what a house is, and what is really important.
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,000 ******
    edited November -1
    Done the walk many times,,