In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

what to do, what to do????

1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
edited December 2012 in General Discussion
water line is busted between my house and meter, 600 for a backhoe to do it, min 350 a day to rent one, the line is right at 36" deep total 30' long

i think i am going with 4 drunks and a couple shovels for a few cases of beer, watcha think?

Comments

• Options
    Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are a democrat, then petition the government to right this obvious wrong! If you're a Republican, then just hire a couple of Mexicans day laborers! [:D]

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• Options
    bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why would you nhave to dig up all 30ft of it? What material is it made of?
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,934 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by forgemonkey
    Tell-em the beer is 4ft. deep !!!![:D][;)]
    [:D][:D] Perfect!
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Two Mexicans, a couple of bottles of tequila WHEN THEY FINISH digging the trench.
  • Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    i would rent a backhoe and have some fun[;)]
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would think you should have some sign of soggy ground to indicate the general area.

Mine broke before also, but I could tell the general area, and just started digging. Found it in about an hour by myself.
    Fixed it, and left the hole open for 24 hours.

Anyway,....hire the drunks.[:D]
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    9 on the floor9 on the floor Member Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm partial to drunks normaly, being one myself.
    However in your case I'd go with the Mex.....I mean "day laborers" because time might be a factor.

Also, whatever is down there I would change out for poly pipe from the meter connection to under the house so I would never have to bother with it again.

[But some one will be along shortly to say I'm wrong about the poly].
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 9 on the floor
    However in your case I'd go with the Mex.....I mean "day laborers" because time might be a factor.

Also, whatever is down there I would change out for poly pipe from the meter connection to under the house so I would never have to bother with it again.

You are wrong about the poly pipe, and you are a drunk.[:0][:D]
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    ForkliftkingForkliftking Member Posts: 4,907 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rent a trencher from the rental store for about $100 for a half day.
  • Options
    9 on the floor9 on the floor Member Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Marc1301
    quote:Originally posted by 9 on the floor

You are wrong about the poly pipe, and you are a drunk.[:0][:D]

See?
    [:D]
  • Options
    bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    He told ya so. [:D][:D]
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"
  • Options
    NOAHNOAH Member Posts: 9,690
    edited November -1
    Quit being so damn lazy and dig it yourself

then YOU can drink the beer & tekillya[}:)]
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Marc1301
    I would think you should have some sign of soggy ground to indicate the general area.

Mine broke before also, but I could tell the general area, and just started digging. Found it in about an hour by myself.
    Fixed it, and left the hole open for 24 hours.

Anyway,....hire the drunks.[:D]

Mine was the blue poly butyl line that thankfully was covered under a class action lawsuit at the time. I started digging where the water was bubbling up. The leak ended being almost 6ft away horizontally. Wet Georgia clay is no fun to dig by hand. I patched it temporarily and then had the new (COPPER) line put in a few days later. All I had to pay was the upcharge from plastic to Cu.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    why 30' ? i want 1" poly line if feasible, when i open it up and see what i am dealing with {5/8 or 3/4 copper}

yes i used to own a backhoe operating one is no problem, my problem is 350 bucks for a small one, plus gas to get it, fill it back up, you must take it to a car-wash before returning it, daylights a ticking why add the pressure

i have 2 sons, 2 drunks and 4 shovels, it will cost me breakfast and a few cases of beer for the road{not for my sons}, this is not my first rodeo in the water or sewer department, 2 sewer lines, and 3 water lines in my life so far, yes i have located the leak, i would wager i can dig strait down and get within 18" of it
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are close to Meigs county Ohio, I'll load my back hoe up in the morning and come do it for the cost of the fuel.
  • Options
    we_dig_itwe_dig_it Member Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 1911a1fan
    why 30' ? i want 1" poly line if feasible, when i open it up and see what i am dealing with {5/8 or 3/4 copper}

yes i used to own a backhoe operating one is no problem, my problem is 350 bucks for a small one, plus gas to get it, fill it back up, you must take it to a car-wash before returning it, daylights a ticking why add the pressure

i have 2 sons, 2 drunks and 4 shovels, it will cost me breakfast and a few cases of beer for the road{not for my sons}, this is not my first rodeo in the water or sewer department, 2 sewer lines, and 3 water lines in my life so far, yes i have located the leak, i would wager i can dig strait down and get within 18" of it

Is that the only rental store near you??
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by we_dig_it
    quote:Originally posted by 1911a1fan

Is that the only rental store near you??

no but it is the cheapest
  • Options
    KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    i would happily pay the 600 hundred and let a licensed and bonded man do the work and take the risk while i sit on the veranda with a beverage and a cheroot relaxing.

i have this nasty habit of turning a 50 dollar job into a 500 dollar job by a)biting off more than i can chew from the get go and b) not knowing when to quit.

i pay pros to do the work that i cant do. i sleep well at night. i dont stress whether my half assed repairs will hold and i know that if it goes pear shaped, someone else gets to pay for it.
  • Options
    Old.22BoltsOld.22Bolts Member Posts: 6,032
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by KEVD18
    i would happily pay the 600 hundred and let a licensed and bonded man do the work and take the risk while i sit on the veranda with a beverage and a cheroot relaxing.

i have this nasty habit of turning a 50 dollar job into a 500 dollar job by a)biting off more than i can chew from the get go and b) not knowing when to quit.

i pay pros to do the work that i cant do. i sleep well at night. i dont stress whether my half assed repairs will hold and i know that if it goes pear shaped, someone else gets to pay for it.

+1 sometimes it's best to "pay the man"....
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    Dig it up and replace it with the next size up of pipe...
    I repaired a 3" mainline and re plumbed 2 2" electric valves the Main was 38" down and I had to dig 6" farther to have room to work.
    I also had a 14" caliber long leaf pine about 12' away..
    30 feet of "slit trench" goes fast..
  • Options
    retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by forgemonkey
    Tell-em the beer is 4ft. deep !!!![:D][;)]
    And 32 ft long... [^]
  • Options
    Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We had our water line bust last winter. Cost us a heck of a lot more to fix, but that was digging in the middle of winter. Ended up with a brand-new line from the main to my house, a brand-new meter(in a much better spot) in the house, and a VERY nicely poured brand-new sidewalk. Again, I hated forking over the dough to, but in the end I was VERY happy with the job that was done. It would have looked nowhere near as good if I would have done it, would have taken way more time, and with patching the pipe you run the risk of it breaking somewhere else soon.

Just my 2 cents. [:D]

Jon
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,001 ******
    edited November -1
    ...get off the puter and get to it,,[;)][;)]