In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Which is more efficient,,

montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,992 ******
edited March 2014 in General Discussion
Forced air gas furnace,or,Boiler hot water baseboard heat ??

Comments

• Options
    booter_onebooter_one Member Posts: 2,345
    edited November -1
    Most likely gas furnace, unless you have really low electric rates. Unless the boiler is gas fired as well. Then it might be very close. The boiler system may require more maintenance. Some of the HVAC guys should share some good info on this. [:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    gas fired boiler,,
  • Options
    booter_onebooter_one Member Posts: 2,345
    edited November -1
    Got to thinking that after my initial reply, that is why it is edited.[;)]Gas furnace is noisier when running, normally a boiler is in a secluded room, and no loud fan. On boiler systems I have seen, there is almost no noise, other than the expansion and contraction of the piping system, and that is very minimal. quote:Originally posted by montanajoe
    gas fired boiler,,
  • Options
    wundudneewundudnee Member Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think the efficienty would be similar. I had a hot water system in my last house with three zones and three thermostats. It was a great system except the heat registers are kind of ugly and if you want air conditioning, you have to put in a completly seperate system with it's own ducts and registers.

My house was an in ground berm and if I built another it would have a blower furnace and air, with the ducts under the floor.
    standard.jpg
  • Options
    JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,396 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hot water, and you can always hook into the system with wood or corn boiler for aux. heat.
  • Options
    JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,396 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    And I think its cleaner, no dust blowing around.
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The boiler heated baseboards are nice to heat with but they are an everlovin' * to try and hook an air conditioning system into!
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,929 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Flying Clay Disk
    If you keep your home at an even temp 24x7 (or within a few degrees day vs. night) the two might be close.

If you vary your temps by a wide range (like at night and/or during the day when you're not home), forced air will come out on top...by a wide margin.

There ya go.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    forced air gas, high effiency hands down, a top of the line gas furnace will get 98% afue, a 'good' boiler maybe 95% (with a BIG difference in price)
  • Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    Radiant heat is far far more comfortable.
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just don't use LP!!! But I bet the price of NG will start catching up to LP soon enough. Obama will see to that. They can't allow an affordable heating option
  • Options
    skicatskicat Member Posts: 14,431
    edited November -1
    Radiant heat is the best as far as efficiency. You may show higher eff. numbers on the individual boiler/furnace ratings but radiant heat puts the heat where you are,the lower portion of the room, as opposed to forced air in which the warmed air rises to the ceiling where no one is sitting or standing. So in that respect you get more use, as a human, out of every BTU delivered by a radiant system. Less BTU's required to make you feel warm equals greater savings.
  • Options
    acdoddacdodd Member Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JimmyJack
    Hot water, and you can always hook into the system with wood or corn boiler for aux. heat.

Not if you live in Washington state.
    Wood fired boilers are illegal.
    [:(]
  • Options
    edited November -1