In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

So, just what the heck do you need for an...

BaseJumperBaseJumper Member Posts: 5,570
edited April 2010 in General Discussion
...Amber Alert

quote:Tymkowych said this missing child case does not meet the criteria for an Amber Alert.

Read down the article for more info...

Police, family looking for missing 12-year-old Greeley girl

If you drive past the Wilson apartment on 28th Street in west Greeley, you can see April Wilson or her son, Mackenzie, watching out the door.

Watching for Kayleah.

The 12-year-old girl left her home Sunday afternoon to go to a friend's birthday party and never arrived. She didn't show up at the pick-up location, and she hasn't come back home in two days. Greeley police issued a bulletin Tuesday with Kayleah Wilson's photo on it, asking for help in finding the girl.

Her home is in the 2800 block of 28th Street.

"We don't know what could have happened," said April, Kayleah`s mother. "We've talked to her friends at school and we've been sending out the fliers. Nobody's seen her."

Kayleah is described as 5-foot-1, 145 pounds, with brown hair and brown eyes. She was last seen wearing a white and pink shirt over a white tank top, blue jeans, and white and red shoes.

According to the Greeley police bulletin, there are no indications she uses drugs or alcohol and has no history with gangs. She also has no history of running away from home.

Kayleah has asthma and will likely be carrying an inhaler. She does not have a cell phone and usually walks to various places to meet her friends.

Her family said she likes to hang out at the Centennial Park Library, the Greeley Mall, Walmart on 23rd Avenue, and Hastings music store. She also goes to the Higher Grounds Youth Center, in connection with her church.

"We've been passing out the fliers everywhere," April said. "I went up to the gas station on the corner and gave them out to people filling up their cars."

While mom was talking, 17-year-old Mackenzie rushed out and gave a flier to a pedestrian walking past the house. He said he's been out driving around, looking for his sister.

Greeley police spokesman Sgt. Joe Tymkowych said, "At this point there has been no information or evidence developed to indicate she would run away. There is also no evidence of foul play." (I would think that, in the absence of "other" criteria, one could assume foul play. I guess it's cheaper to do an autopsy than issue an Amber Alert.)

Tymkowych said this missing child case does not meet the criteria for an Amber Alert. He said to issue the alert, police have to believe the child has been abducted. The No. 2 criteria for an alert says the abducted child must be "in immediate danger of serious * injury or death." Tymkowych said police haven't found evidence to meet that criteria. (They'll issue the Amber Alert posthumously??)

Kayleah is a student at Brentwood Middle School and has several friends in that area.

In some of the comments from the article, it seems there is a Registered Sex Offender living 1 block from her home. As a parent, I am not sure I could refrain from paying a visit to my "neighbor" in this same scenario.

Comments