In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Question for Southern Diesel owners

IdahoboundIdahobound Member Posts: 20,584 ✭✭✭
edited January 2019 in General Discussion
Did your truck come with a block heater?

Comments

• Options
    dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    ChrisStreettChrisStreett Member Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep.
    "...dying ain't much of a living boy"-Josey Wales
  • Options
    IdahoboundIdahobound Member Posts: 20,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Maybe I should be more specific does Dodge have them
    On a Texas truck. The reason I ask is the house I bought when I moved back WY is in a neighborhood where I have close neighbors. New neighbors moved in from Texas a few months back he has a Dodge that is straight piped, chipped and what ever else he could do to make it loud as poop. Now that it is cold he starts it a 4:00 am and let?s it run for about a hour before he leaves. I am normally getting up around then anyway but it is waking my wife and kids up and frankly it is starting to piss me off. I have never seen it plugged in.
  • Options
    dpmuledpmule Member Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    He might not even know about the plug in for the heater.
    I thought they were standard on Dodge and Ford diesels.

Mule
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dodge Cummins did not have one. It was purchased in Florida
  • Options
    khornetkhornet Member Posts: 117 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've have 2, both bought in AZ , had heaters
  • Options
    gjshawgjshaw Member Posts: 14,697 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My f250 had one from factory .
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's not just diesels that can be optioned with block heaters, but I imagine they aren't as common in the south.
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by select-fire
    Dodge Cummins did not have one. It was purchased in Florida

My 06 didn't have one, my 08 did but it was originally a PA truck.
  • Options
    remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Suggest that he plug it in. And if he doesn't have one, he can go to any parts store and get one. Plus he doesn't have to run it all night, all he has to do is get a heavy duty timer and run it for about an hour before he wants to start it and go. That's what I did with my Ford, just got a heavy duty timer that started the block heater an hour before I was ready to go. That way it's saved me 1500 watts an hour for the time that I didn't need it to be on. In the long run, it will save him a bundle of money and wear and tear on his vehicle using a block heater and a timer

And if he doesn't want to put a block heater on it and use it, just shove something up his tailpipe so it won't start...[:0][:0]
  • Options
    WMClarkWMClark Member Posts: 821
    edited November -1
    The last couple of Dodge trucks I've had came from Southern California. All three had block heaters but no power cord to them and a protective cap over the heater terminal connection. I've picked up cords for them off on Amazon for about 12 bucks and a couple of minutes to install them.

It makes a difference having them in the mornings when it's below 20 around here.
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    My Cruze did not.
  • Options
    mjrfd99mjrfd99 Member Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Aftermarket heated dipstick helped my Rabbit diesel start in the winter big time. Rotella synthetic in the crankcase makes cold starts easier - flows better at cold temps
    https://www.etrailer.com/Vehicle-Heaters/Kats-Heaters/KH15200.html
  • Options
    JIM STARKJIM STARK Member Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My 2007 F-250 King Ranch was originally shipped to SC..It was not equipped with one...My 2012 was originally shipped to Va. It has one... Must get much colder in Va???
    JIM............
  • Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The problem isn't if there is a block heater on the truck.
    the trouble lies here:
    " Now that it is cold he starts it a 4:00 am and let?s it run for about a hour before he leaves. "

Your neighbor needs a "talking to", not a block heater.
    [B)][B)]