In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Question for gamers

DarkStar11DarkStar11 Member Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭
edited November 2011 in General Discussion
I've only played on a PC, but I'm considering a console. My last gaming rig is now the virtual machine host for my home lab. I still would like to play some first-person shooters from time to time, but I really don't play enough to justify building high-end gaming rigs anymore.

So, what do y'all like when it comes to consoles? Xbox 360 or Sony PS3?

Comments

• Options
    joker5656joker5656 Member Posts: 5,598 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    360 by far. PS3 is nice but Sony loves to constantly update there firmware every week. its essientially a Blu-Ray player for me. Nothing more. 360's online play is also better in my opinion.
  • Options
    KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    playstation all the way.

ps3 online play is free, but can be buggy at times.

xbox makes you pay to play online, but is a more stable experience.

i prefer the ergonomics of the ps2 controller. that of course is very subjective.

i personally see better graphics from the ps3, but its dependant on the whole system, not just the console. i have a great tv for gaming. a crappy tv will kill most of the benefits of the hi def consoles.

the ps3 is also a blu ray. thats huge for me. you can also stream netflix over it, but i think you can do it on 360 as well so thats neutral.

my 250gb slimline console is 3ish years old and has run flawlessly. i love it and would never consider changing sides. i fully admit that a lot of the preferences are entirely subjective. if you can, play both for awhile before borrowing. it would be worth it to got to a rent a center type of place and rent one of each for a week to see which you dig more.
  • Options
    Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,683 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I fell out of love with the 360 when they kept breaking down....plus the on line free play from the PS3 is hard to beat.

I haven't bought a game for the 360 in over a year. They will have to come up with something pretty fantastic for me to go back. All I see when I hear the word playstation is the red ring of death.
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    Oso2142Oso2142 Member Posts: 2,940
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Locust Fork
    I fell out of love with the 360 when they kept breaking down....plus the on line free play from the PS3 is hard to beat.

I haven't bought a game for the 360 in over a year. They will have to come up with something pretty fantastic for me to go back. All I see when I hear the word playstation is the red ring of death.

I think you mean Xbox 360.[;)]

Resolution is, of course, far better with a PC. Xbox has, AFAIK, more online gamers, at this time. But, PS3 is a very good unit, free to play, and makes for a nice media center/Blu-Ray player. 360 might have some of the PS3's features, I just don't know.

Personally, I can't compare and contrast the 360 & the PS3, simply because I own two PS3's, and zero 360's. But, I have my reasons for not owning a 360...

Anyway, BF3 just came out, and it appears that the PS3 will run it @ 720P/30FPS. I mean, you do want to play Battlefield 3, right? [:p]
  • Options
    BeeramidBeeramid Member, Moderator Posts: 7,264 ******
    edited November -1
    I would say the 360 if you intend to play online. Xbox live is far superior to the crappy free "service" that PSN offers. I wouldn't give it up for any other console. I also couldn't care less about the blueray in the PS3. Why does that even matter, I can stream movies from Zune in 1080p all day long.
  • Options
    Floyd_R_TurboFloyd_R_Turbo Member Posts: 120 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    PS3, best graphics engine/chipset.
  • Options
    shootuadealshootuadeal Member Posts: 5,241 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Many times I wished some of the designers of the PS3 were in my living room so I could kick the ever loving doodoo(GB edit) out of them.

I don't play many games but we watch some netflix and tried renting off of the PS network and it seems almost everytime I turn it on(about once a week) it has an "update", unrelated to what I want to do, that it deems neccasarry to download and install which takes a half hour to do.

It was set to download and install on its own in the middle of the night but now you have to pay for that "service".

Also when I try to pay per view a movie off the ps network I get kicked off the network constantly a rarely complete a download, even with fiber optic cable to my house.

Total POS, like I said, I have spent several nights fantasizing about strangling the guys that designed the PS network.

HEY GB admins, sell movie downloads here, I will buy them[:)]
  • Options
    KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    Never had any problems buying or renting movies from the psn. Maybe its a regional thing. Who knows.
  • Options
    KSUmarksmanKSUmarksman Member Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I stick to PC, so I am biased...

besides crapsoles dominating gaming leads to dumber games, geared at kids and moron fratboys (big kids)

just look at the devolution of Call of Duty...
  • Options
    jev1969jev1969 Member Posts: 2,691
    edited November -1
    360 if you're gonna play online. More stable, more players, less hacks.
  • Options
    StingSting Member Posts: 629 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Xbox 360. The Call of Duty games, (new Call of Duty due Nov 10), plus Frontlines Fuel of War, and Medal of Honor Airborn are all excellent as far as shooting realistic weapons, driving Jeeps and tanks, and flying choppers and jets. The Call of Duty games themselves, are like a history lesson. (You'll land at Normandy, climb the cliffs, and grapple Nazi's.)