In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

REDNECK PRIDE

kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
edited March 2014 in General Discussion
http://www.hpa.org/ashamed.htm

REDNECKPRIDE_zps4a91b94c.jpg

Ashamed to be Southern?
Sometimes the world is upside down and someone tries with heartfelt emotion to convince you that it is the way it should be. In such moments it is easy to understand why a dog tilts its head when seeing something strange. With a blank look, you are tempted to tilt your head. You at once wonder how their sense of reality became so askew. This happens often to me. Let me explain.

Pretend, if you will, traveling back in time, to Israel, 10 BC. A Jewish man comes up to you and says, "I am a proud Jew. My people have lived here for centuries. My great grandfather fought with King Solomon, but I am here to state that the Romans have done wonderful things for my land. They have brought the rule of written law. They have brought modern conveniences enjoyed throughout the world. But, most importantly, they have brought the security and protection of their massive military power. I am proud to be a Roman."

Even King Herod, under Pontius Pilot might have been heard to say, "I am Jewish and I am proud to be a Jew but it is now a new millennium and it is time to move forward. We are now Romans so we must put our Hebrew language and artifacts in a museum. After all, we lost the war. We must move forward as good Romans. It will help the economy and promote unity."

Strange? Now move forward in time to London, 1068 AD. A young Saxon comes up to you and says, "I am a proud Saxon. My people have lived here for centuries. My father and grandfather died on the field of Hastings with King Harold, but I am here to state that William of Normandy has done wonderful things for England. He has cast out the pagan Gods. He has brought the rule of law. He has brought into our land the wonderful modern conveniences enjoyed by Europe. But, most importantly, he has brought the peace and security that his massive military strength provides."

Getting less strange? Now move forward to Richmond, Virginia, 1880 AD A young Virginian comes up to you and says, "I am a proud Southerner. My people have lived here for centuries, but the Union victory over the South has brought wonderful things to my people. They have brought equality among the men of the community. They have brought all of the modern conveniences of their industrial prowess. But, most importantly, they have brought the peace and security that their massive military power provides."

Sound familiar? It should. It is a common form of "reactionism" exhibited by certain members of a community, which has been completely conquered. But what is it and why does it exist?

It is often most difficult to see the history that you are living through. You are simply too immersed in day to day trivia. Sometimes it helps to do mental exercises, like rising out of your time and culture and looking at it in terms of greater history. Considering the plight of peoples who experienced complete conquest in other times is a good exercise. It drives home the malleable nature of perspective. Once done, it is easy to see the phenomenon I call "Conquest Syndrome."

The majority of Israelis, Saxons and Virginians knew very well that their chosen leaders had been deposed by brute force and their tax wealth had been stolen by the brutes. They didn't need to know the details of treachery, assassination, rape and looting. They knew enough to hate the usurpers.

Today, however, with modern history, we do know the details. That is why it is so strange to encounter a victim of Conquest Syndrome in today's world. At once you are struck by the feeling that this person must be really ignorant of the facts. But is it really ignorance?

Having encountered many people who are suffering from this disorder, I have seen how resistant they are to even considering the facts. It sometimes seems that the facts trouble them. They don't want to hear them.

After much thought, I believe I know what is at play with these people. I believe that their psychology has been severely damaged and their pride suffers a kind of "scarring," making them callous to their own people. Their accepted answers are a kind of therapy, if somewhat obtuse. After all, consider the indisputable realities: Whether it be the Israelis, the Saxons or the Virginians, a heavily armed group of men barged into their neighborhood, challenged their men to a fight, and either killed, wounded or humiliated every one of them. Then, they barged into the homes taking what they wanted, money, valuables, food, and women.

Finally, they installed their appointed leaders, deposing those chosen by the people, so they could continue to bleed them in the form of taxes. Afterward, they killed anyone who m o u n t e d any open resistance to them.

While the majority of us are sufficiently proud and strong of will to never forget the degradation done to their people, others are simply crushed by it. Their only escape is to create a fantasy that they are really on the side of the invader and, thus, really "strong" and "right." They simply cannot live with the knowledge of what was done to their own people. They have a deep need to be powerful, not emasculated, as are the conquered. So they create a fantasy. They delude themselves into a contradictory system in which they are "proud" of their ancestor but the conqueror was really right and they agree with the conqueror, something the ancestor they are so "proud" of would be utterly destroyed by.

Without some form of psychotherapy, there is no curing these people. They either come out of it or they don't. All attempts to bring them out are usually met with frantic resistance.

But while we may not be able to help them, we can certainly understand them. We can understand their pain and their feelings of inferiority. And we can do as former Governor Lester Maddox of Georgia once advised me to do: "Don't hate them, just put your arm around their shoulders and tell them that you love them and are praying for them."
What's next?

Comments

• kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Proud American by birth...

But... SOUTHERN BY THE GRACE OF GOD.

Thanks Kimi...
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by retroxler58

Thanks Kimi...

You're welcome, friend.
    What's next?
  • Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by retroxler58

Thanks Kimi...

Me 2!

I love the South and my heritage is in the south.
    RLTW

• Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    there is only two type of US citizens those that are southern and those that want to be
  • JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,147 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by DITCH-RUNNER
    there is only two type of US citizens those that are southern and those that want to be
    I'm not a want to be....I am by birth & genetics and proud to be ! [;)]

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

edited November -1

And our friends outside Dixie, of course!!!!!!!
    What's next?
    edited November -1
    I read where Gen. George Patton once said to Eisenhower & his fellow Generals " give me a Battalion of Southern Soldiers and I'll win you a battle.....give me a Division of Southern soldiers and I'll win you a damn war ! " [:D]

• pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I respect my country, and have given my time and treasure to help secure it. But I will never surrender my Heritage. I love Alabama, and will defend it with my life......States Rights! I do not have any pride in being called a Red Neck! Its a derogatory term in my opinion,no different than "Cracker" ..I notice the forum check doesn't exclude those terms...[:o)]
  • oldrideroldrider Member Posts: 4,934 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm from Texas. Some people call it a Southern state, some argue it's not.

But I'm proud to be called a redneck. It defines my politics and my personal philosophy.
    edited November -1
    Texas "seceded" from the Union![;)]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pwillie

In fine fashion, voting 46,153 for secession and 14,747 against. [;)][:D]
    What's next?
  • dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am Southern, not by birth, but by moving to this glorious part of the country known as the Bible Belt. My prayer and hope is that WE will be the ones who stand up to Washington when they come to disarm us, WE will exhibit to the world why the founders wanted the SECOND AMMENDMENT, why it was necessary to protect us from a tyrannical government, why WE will stand when others will roll over and cede our rights to the Feds. Will we give up our Bibles and our guns?? HELL NO!! I made a vow to myself almost 20 years ago. When they come for my guns, first I give them my ammo.

I will readily admit that if I don't know they (the Feds) are coming I will probably die in the opening salvo. But trust me, if I know they are coming, I guarantee I will take two with me. Honestly, I will go down very pissed off if it is only two!!
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kimi

...and only 1% were slavers.....so the reason for secession was....??????
  • Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Southern pride ask the British about Kings mountain some are still there [:D]

The Battle of Kings Mountain lasted 65 minutes.[37] The Loyalists suffered 290 killed, 163 wounded, and 668 taken prisoner. The Patriot militia suffered 29 killed and 58 wounded. The Patriots had to move out quickly for fear that Cornwallis would advance to meet them.[38] Loyalist prisoners well enough to walk were herded to camps several miles from the battlefield. The dead were buried in shallow graves and wounded were left on the field to die . Ferguson's corpse was later reported to have been mangled and wrapped in oxhide before burial.[39] Both victors and vanquished came near to starvation on the march due to a lack of supplies in the hastily organized Patriot army.[38]

On October 14, the retreating Patriot force held drumhead courtmartials of various Loyalists on various charges (treason, desertion from Patriot militias, incitement of Indian rebellion). Passing through the Sunshine community in what is now Rutherford County, N.C., the retreat halted, perhaps not coincidentally on the property of the Biggerstaff family. Aaron Biggerstaff, a Loyalist, had fought in the battle and been mortally wounded. His brother Benjamin was a Patriot and was being held as a prisoner of war on a British ship docked at Charleston, S.C. Their cousin John Moore was the Loyalist commander at the earlier Battle of Ramsour's Mill (modern Lincolnton, N.C.), in which many of the same troops had participated on both sides. While stopped on the Biggerstaff land, 36 Loyalist prisoners were convicted. Some were testified against by Patriots who had previously fought alongside them and later changed sides. Nine of the prisoners were hanged before Isaac Shelby brought an end to the proceedings.[40] His decision to halt the executions came after an impassioned plea for mercy from one of the Biggerstaff women, although accounts vary as to whether it was Martha Biggerstaff, Aaron's wife, or Mary Van Zant Biggerstaff, Benjamin's wife.[41] As the Patriot army dispersed, all but 130 Loyalist prisoners escaped over the next few days before the column finally reached camp at Salem, North Carolina; they were able to escape having been moved through wooded areas in a single line.[42]

Kings Mountain was a pivotal moment in the history of the American Revolution. Coming after a series of disasters and humiliations in the Carolinas-the fall of Charleston and capture of the American army there, the destruction of another American army at the Battle of Camden, the Waxhaws Massacre-the surprising, decisive victory at Kings Mountain was a great boost to Patriot morale. The Tories of the Carolina Back Country were broken as a military force.[43] Additionally, the destruction of Ferguson's command and the looming threat of Patriot militia in the mountains caused Lord Cornwallis to cancel his plans to invade North Carolina; he instead evacuated Charlotte and retreated to South Carolina.[43] He would not return to North Carolina until early 1781, when he was chasing Nathanael Greene after the Americans had dealt British arms another defeat at the Battle of Cowpens.

In The Winning of the West, Theodore Roosevelt wrote of Kings Mountain, "This brilliant victory marked the turning point of the American Revolution." Thomas Jefferson called it, "The turn of the tide of success." Herbert Hoover's address at Kings Mountain said, "This is a place of inspiring memories. Here less than a thousand men, inspired by the urge of freedom, defeated a superior force intrenched in this strategic position. This small band of Patriots turned back a dangerous invasion well designed to separate and dismember the united Colonies. It was a little army and a little battle, but it was of mighty portent. History has done scant justice to its significance, which rightly should place it beside Lexington, Bunker Hill, Trenton and Yorktown."[44] In 1931, the Congress of the United States created the Kings Mountain National Military Park on the site of the battle. The park headquarters is in Blacksburg, South Carolina, and hosts hundreds of thousands of people each year.[45]
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 35,988 ******
    edited November -1
    We once had a member here who publicly regarded Southerners as ignorant, uneducated inbreds. I don't think he is allowed to post anymore.
  • shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm a "damned" yankee. I hate the southern summer humidity, but not enough to move back up to that cess pool of the north. I am glad my folks moved us to Virginia back when I was in High School. Seems that I may have to move again as the northern lib attitude is winning out here in VA.
  • austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,829 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    AMEN!
    edited November -1
    [...and only 1% were slavers.....so the reason for secession was....??????
    [/quote] ................ States rights...., it never was about Slavery as the North wants you to believe [;)]

• Queen of SwordsQueen of Swords Member Posts: 14,355
    edited November -1
    "Redneck" is a term I associate more with "hillbilly" than I do Southerner. And we have plenty of them up here in the North. Every year for the past 15 years, I have camped out at the Watkins Glen races with a bunch of Adirondack Mountain folk who would agree.
  • TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1

...and only 1% were slavers.....so the reason for secession was....??????
    The Texas Ordinance of Secession issued February 1 1861 lays it out.

177 delegates from throughout the state were elected to a Secession Convention and passed this Ordinance by a margin of 166 to 8. It then went before a statewide election, with the results stated by kimi.

Give it a read:

http://tinyurl.com/38r7h
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Queen of Swords
    "Redneck" is a term I associate more with "hillbilly" than I do Southerner. And we have plenty of them up here in the North. Every year for the past 15 years, I have camped out at the Watkins Glen races with a bunch of Adirondack Mountain folk who would agree.

That's understandable, but the term has broadened to where it is common place to ridicule and demean southern people in general, and I am sure that this is no surprise to you.

With communication the way it is, and with genealogy growing as it has, people are coming to know a lot details about their ancestors and their neighbors, and how they banded together to fight their enemies to the death during the War Between The States, and today, what I see as Redneck Pride is growing by leaps and bounds, so to speak, and that's good as I see it. Consequently, our politically correct enemies including Fox News have stepped up their cultural war to keep southern people, their beliefs, and their history, to include, anyone inside or outside of Dixie who might sympathize with them, in their lowly place.
    What's next?
  • retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Queen of Swords

That's understandable, but the term has broadened to where it is common place to ridicule and demean southern people in general, and I am sure that this is no surprise to you.

With communication the way it is, and with genealogy growing as it has, people are coming to know a lot details about their ancestors and their neighbors, and how they banded together to fight their enemies to the death during the War Between The States, and today, what I see as Redneck Pride is growing by leaps and bounds, so to speak, and that's good as I see it. Consequently, our politically correct enemies including Fox News have stepped up their cultural war to keep southern people, their beliefs, and their history, to include, anyone inside or outside of Dixie who might sympathize with them, in their lowly place.
    Yep...