In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

NYS Laws on AR-15

Myloadedmemory11Myloadedmemory11 Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
edited August 2012 in General Discussion
I am interested in purchase something like this http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=298345228

I live in upstate New York specially Schenectady. As far as I can tell it is legal to own. Anything that is not legal or I should be worried about? I am also wondering about the magazine limit. The best I can find New York State has a 10 round magazine limit? I am looking to get this for target practice and home defense. I was in the Army and I am most comfortable with an M-16. Also I am just reading on the Federal Ban and it expired however the NYS one is still in effect?

Any guidance on the laws is appreciated and I am open to any advice.

Thanks

Comments

• realspeedrealspeed Member Posts: 6,335
    edited November -1
    AR for home defense.... Yeah buddy....
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    edited November -1
    Welcome to the forums. I think this link should help you out:
    http://www.atf.gov/publications/download/p/atf-p-5300-5/atf-p-5300-5-new_york.pdf

I believe that in NY you are correct in that you are limited to 10 round mags, but it would appear that the linked AR is legal assuming you do not feed it with a larger mag than that (it is for sale in NY [:I]).
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    10 round mag....no bayonet lug, no compensator....only muzzle brake.

Maybe MFI or another NY FFL can post more info.
  • Myloadedmemory11Myloadedmemory11 Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the responses.

I know I know for home defense. It will be my only weapon in the house. I do not have a pistol license. I have years of shooting and, weapon training, and various weapons but 90%+ has been on an M16 that is what I am most comfortable with.
  • guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It will do fine for you. The best weapon is the one you are most familiar.

The M16/AR rifle works for me. After 20 years in the Army, working the AR is just second nature.

Add: no adjustable stocks either.
  • KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    a rifle is pretty high up on the list of the worst choices for a home defense gun, but if thats what your heart is set on then i guess go for it.

since you dont have a pistol license, i would definitely lean more in the direction of a shot gun.
    edited November -1
    Depending on the circumstances that AR could be a great choice for home defense. It would depend fairly heavily upon the proximity of your neighbors and other occupants in your home, however.

I believe the boxotruth guy did some fairly good real world analysis on AR 15 rounds vs. interior walls.

I have a cousin who has access to any number of arms, and the goto weapon when he had an intruder (instinctually) was his mini 14.
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • GashaulerGashauler Member Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Member name MFI is a dealer out of NY and has a NY compliant AR on the auction side. Have to find a post by him because I can't remember his auction name (it may be the same), at the bottom of his post is a link to his auctions.
    edited November -1
    I had actually looked at a bunch of shotguns I was impressed with the Saiga 12. I have not fired the Saiga 12. I have some shotgun experience in the past but it was awhile ago. I leaned toward the Ar-15 just because I am more comfortable with it and I would actually take it to a local range. The shotgun, I don't know I just done see that as much as far as just taking it out.

Can anyone tell me the guidelines on those? I see a bunch have the tactual setups. Best I can see the 10 round magazine limit is across the board.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Gashauler
    Member name MFI is a dealer out of NY and has a NY compliant AR on the auction side. Have to find a post by him because I can't remember his auction name (it may be the same), at the bottom of his post is a link to his auctions.
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/SellerAuctions.aspx?User=37494
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Spikes makes good stuff...someone kicks in my door in the middle of the night I'll be answering it with one of my ARs. Given the choice I am taking a rifle into a gunfight over a pistol any day. A 64 gr Ranger PSP is going to put a bad guy down faster than most any pistol round.

I was born in your area, spent a few years in White Plains, Altamont when I was a baby.
  • shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mr. Perfect
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/SellerAuctions.aspx?User=37494

And here is a NY Compliant Bushmaster that he has...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=299144532
  • KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    Depending on the circumstances that AR could be a great choice for home defense. It would depend fairly heavily upon the proximity of your neighbors and other occupants in your home, however.

I believe the boxotruth guy did some fairly good real world analysis on AR 15 rounds vs. interior walls.

I have a cousin who has access to any number of arms, and the goto weapon when he had an intruder (instinctually) was his mini 14.

fair enough. i do sometimes forget that not everybody lives in a densely packed urban environment. im so close to my neighbors on all sides i could hit them all with a rock.

clearly if you're out in the sticks with distance between house its a marginally better choice, but you still have to hit a target while under distress and probably under less than fully awake circumstances with one projectile per trigger pull instead of many.
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys, if I had a functioning brain today I would have been able to that. As it stands I was doing really good just to remember him.
  • armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,478 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys, if I had a functioning brain today I would have been able to that. As it stands I was doing really good just to remember him.

Still hurting from last night must have been a doozer.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by armilite

Still hurting from last night must have been a doozer.

I wish.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by KEVD18

fair enough. i do sometimes forget that not everybody lives in a densely packed urban environment. im so close to my neighbors on all sides i could hit them all with a rock.

clearly if you're out in the sticks with distance between house its a marginally better choice, but you still have to hit a target while under distress and probably under less than fully awake circumstances with one projectile per trigger pull instead of many.
    Agreed. He did say he is most proficient with the platform, thus it probably makes as good sense as any other arm until he is more familiar with what I agree is a better choice; a shotgun makes a great home defense weapon when properly loaded, as do many pistols and handguns.
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • 7.62x39Lover7.62x39Lover Member Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • forjoeforjoe Member Posts: 135 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I could be wrong but with a post ban lower, you cant have an adjustable stock and only preban mags over ten rounds.
    edited November -1
    I asked the seller if it was NY state legal since he was in New York state the response I received was - The stock has to be pinned, the muzzle break pinned and welded.

I am guess that is the muzzle is welded to the upper receiver. What is the muzzle break pinned mean?

The magazine thing I understand that is pretty clear unlike everything else.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Myloadedmemory11
    I asked the seller if it was NY state legal since he was in New York state the response I received was - The stock has to be pinned, the muzzle break pinned and welded.

I am guess that is the muzzle is welded to the upper receiver. What is the muzzle break pinned mean?

The magazine thing I understand that is pretty clear unlike everything else.
    What he means is that the adjustable stock needs to be pinned so that it is no longer adjustable. Find the best position for you and pin it there. The muzzle break appears to be removable, thus it needs to be pinned to prevent its removal. Shouldn't break the bank to have a gun smith do that work for you. But it might be cheaper to just buy a gun that doesn't have those features to begin with.
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The response you received from the seller is correct . The firearm is NOT ok for New York . First problem is that you can not have a collapsible stock unless it is on a preban hence the firearm must be manufactured before Sept 1994..Nothing larger than a 10 round mag on anything manufactured after Sept 1994.
  • forjoeforjoe Member Posts: 135 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are you saying you can put a preban mag in a postpan rifle? if so do you have a link to that section? Thanks

quote:Originally posted by MFI
    The response you received from the seller is correct . The firearm is NOT ok for New York . First problem is that you can not have a collapsible stock unless it is on a preban hence the firearm must be manufactured before Sept 1994..Nothing larger than a 10 round mag on anything manufactured after Sept 1994.