In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Cooking Bags

Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
edited March 2018 in General Discussion
Mom used to cook a pork roast with carrots and potatoes and onions in the clear oven bags and it was soooo gooood!!! Do any of you guys use them??

Comments

• dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,939 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use potato's and onions all the time! Don
  • droptopdroptop Member Posts: 8,367 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Use a crockpot on low for 12+ hours. Seems about the same result.
  • HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    Just use a Dutch Oven- same,same! And no Plastic molecules in the food!
  • 84Bravo184Bravo1 Member Posts: 11,109
    edited November -1
    Went the way of the Crock Pot, Brother.

Crock pots are much better, easier.

Cooking bags are Old school. (Perhaps right up your alley.)
  • HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    Cooking bags make a big difference to Women - LIGHTER - little to no Clean-up added. Additionally, they are conformal, allowing a bigger roast in a smaller oven. For Apartment Dwellers, a bonus!

Some things cook very well in a paper bag, oiled or not.

But the Dutch Oven/Staub Roaster handles all roasting duties very, very well. Just Heavy, Big, and requires Storage as well.
  • kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Every now and then.
    What's next?
  • Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Screw it I will just stick with Stoffers.
  • sharpshooter039sharpshooter039 Member Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    we still use them quite often,,its different than a crock pot because you get a lot of steam inside the bag that a crock pot just blows around the lid. Plus clean up is a breeze,,put leftovers in a bowl with a lid and toss everything else
    edited November -1
    Yea that's what I'm talking about. COOKING BAGS RULE!!!
  • SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's all about the clean up. There are plastic liners for crock-pots, the best of both, crock pot use and easy clean up.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sharpshooter039
    we still use them quite often,,its different than a crock pot because you get a lot of steam inside the bag that a crock pot just blows around the lid. Plus clean up is a breeze,,put leftovers in a bowl with a lid and toss everything else

My particular (large) programmable Crock Pot, has rubber seals on the lid, and pressure clamps on each end. Nothing escapes, unless you want it to. Screw valve on the lid. Somewhat similar to a pressure cooker.
    edited November -1
    So your crack pots brown the meat like the oven??? Do they? Do they??Or does your meat come out all pink and shriveled like de pig foots in the big glass jars??
  • droptopdroptop Member Posts: 8,367 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can get cancer from coffee,, who knows the effect of "plastic bag" molecules being "leached out into the food" and BOOM,, you're dead.[:(] Remember microwaving "frozen vegetables" in their plastic bag, did that once, thought about it and never again.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/starbucks-cancer-warning-judge-rules-on-coffee-carcinogen-acrylamide/
    edited November -1
    Why would you want to cook a bag?
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sometimes use a bag in the crockpot, easy clean.

Mostly use the Instant Pot these days.
  • yonsonyonson Member Posts: 903 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are many ways to prepare the myriad of foods we eat. Just as a well-equipped kitchen contains more than one pan or knife, there are many ways to use them. Browning food (the Maillard reaction) is an important step that improves flavor and aroma and for meat, chicken for example, browning by frying does just that; covering and simmering at lower heat finishes the job. Cooking bags won't exactly do that but they have their uses. I had some Wild Turkey pieces (2 wings & one breast) and wanted to do them all in the roaster pan. I browned all the pieces first, then put the wings on a bed of veggies with turkey broth. The breast went in a cooking bag with more broth to make it moist, otherwise it would be too dry. Just experimenting, but the wife liked the result.
  • Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,541 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    we use crock pot bag liners [:D] easy to clean up and just plug and play
  • mmppresmmppres Member Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use the old westing house 18 guart roaster. I just cover the top with foil an never open till time to eat. turkey falls apart, roast are brown an moist.veggies are soft an yummy