In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Gun Shipping Charges

Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
edited September 2016 in General Discussion
I read some things about sellers charging too much to ship guns, that they are gouging and making money on the shipping charges. We recently went from $20.00 to $30.00 shipping charges. My average shipping charge a few months ago was right at $30.00 and there have been increases since then. I had one buyer * like crazy after he had bought the gun that I was "screwing" him cause he could ship a handgun for $6.00. My auctions clearly state $30.00 shipping in at least two places by the way. I could put a small gun(5 shot revolver just the gun) in a $6.80 small priority box and mail it. If I was willing to ship a gut with no insurance and no adult signature which I am not. Some guns cost over $50.00 by the time they are insured. I could do "actual cost" but folks don't like that and I can understand why. If I buy something I want to know the shipping cost. One thing I can assure everybody of is that most of us are not making money on shipping. Ok, go on back to whatever it was you were doing.[:)][:)]

Comments

• Options
    cranky2cranky2 Member Posts: 3,236 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I look at shipping as part of the cost of the gun. I want it packed right and insured. $30 is not bad.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have no beef with shipping charges, I simply subtract the shipping from my max bid and let er ride.

Got a nice Springfield SS 1911 from Kasey last week by bidding my max and seeing what happened, I won it. Come to think of it that is how my gun safe got stuffed so full....
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,562 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    as above I take into account the final the shipping and FFL fee into my bids
    if to close to local I will buy local ( last few times I still come out buying on GB auctions even new guns )

I sell items also and the shipping is crazy over just a few years ago , especially if your buying or selling some small part where shipping cost more than the parts [:(][:(]
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost
    I have no beef with shipping charges, I simply subtract the shipping from my max bid and let er ride.

Got a nice Springfield SS 1911 from Kasey last week by bidding my max and seeing what happened, I won it. Come to think of it that is how my gun safe got stuffed so full....

I bought a rifle from Kasey years ago that cost me more in shipping and transfer fees than I paid for the rifle. Great old savage bolt action .22 that my daughters still love to shoot.
  • Options
    franksshootingfranksshooting Member Posts: 68 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    UPS in June added a $10.60 surcharge to any package exceeding 48" which are most long guns. They also charge additional fees to deliver to a residence, and another surcharge for out of area, and of course the fuel surcharge! Depending on location our average UPS charge is approx $30.00 not counting a box, bubble wrap tape, and labor. We are not complaining, but UPS does quite well on our account. We state additional charges to ship to AK,Hi and yes CA! USPS is terrible at handling long guns and paying claims. FedEx is in the same cost as UPS, and have trouble finding a driver to give our packages to. To have FedEx or UPS stop to pick up is an additional charge , when they are here almost every day anyway. usually the day I have outgoing shipments, they have nothing to deliver, then I chase the truck! As Ricci stated, we just pass the cost on usually breaking even, or losing a few bucks.
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dear customer,

Your inability to follow simple instructions or read the terms of sale listed on my auction does not constitute an emergency on my end.

You mommy might tell you you are here special angel but I am under no legal or moral obligation to be your proverbial b*i*t*c*h*

How you managed to get and keepa job that allows you to have a disposable income is beyond me because your a self indulgent mentally defective repugnant weasel.

The only aspect on special I perceive is that you ride the short bus, you need safety scissors, and have mittens pinned to your jacket.

While you may get away with speaking that way to your wife and kids
    If you continue to adress me in that manner you will be drinking your next meal through a straw.

Sigh.

Mike
  • Options
    Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,682 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My main problem with shipping is that we load so many auctions....and start them at a penny. I have NO CLUE what something is going to sell for or where the most expensive destination might be.

Is it going to sell for $300 and go to Georgia?.....or maybe $600 and go to Hawaii??? Who knows?

So, we do $30 for handguns and $40 for long guns. I lose on some and walk off stealing (gasp) a whole $5 some.

A couple weeks ago I had a guy win three small items. He emailed before he won asking if we combined shipping....I answered yes. When he won the auctions he asked how much shipping was. So I forward that message over to Shelby because she makes the shipping labels. She gave him a total by guessing this would be a medium flat rate box. She has no idea how big anything is....she is just a secretary at a computer. When I boxed things up she realized it wasn't that big and it cost less to ship things. A week later I'm getting emails from that guy wanting to know when he was getting his $6 refund for over payment on shipping. I swear.....some people have time to fuss about the smallest....most insignificant....little things.
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,008 ******
    edited November -1
    I've had 'em ask for a shipping refund of a buck or less.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If I ship a hand gun to a manufacturer or gunsmith it with cost me over $80 one way via brown. I am not kicking over $30 for 2 day shipping via USPS.

It used to be (only old guys will remember) that shipping was an add on cost and shipping cost was the actual cost of postage. That left the shipper eating the cost of materials and labor to pack. That never made sense.

I just bought a book on Amazon for 1 cent, with 3.99 shipping. In that case the profit is in shipping, and obviously there is not much of it.
  • Options
    Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,682 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by He Dog
    If I ship a hand gun to a manufacturer or gunsmith it with cost me over $80 one way via brown. I am not kicking over $30 for 2 day shipping via USPS.

It used to be (only old guys will remember) that shipping was an add on cost and shipping cost was the actual cost of postage. That left the shipper eating the cost of materials and labor to pack. That never made sense.

I just bought a book on Amazon for 1 cent, with 3.99 shipping. In that case the profit is in shipping, and obviously there is not much of it.

Books have their own "media" shipping charges and it is super cheap to ship things that fall into that category. You have to take the boxes to the post office to get that rate (unless you are a huge company and have a system set up.) I don't have time to stop everything and go do that....so I haven't taken advantage of the media rate when shipping things like that.
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most auctions if not all state clearly what it is before you bid so why beech about it
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    M1A762M1A762 Member Posts: 3,426
    edited November -1
    Ricci - how dare you try to run a business and make a profit!! Aren't we in the business of selling guns just to provide buyers with a great deal all for the fun of it???[:D][:D][:D]

The vast majority of GB auctions are smooth, but every now and then we get a lemon. I learned to just let it go and move on, some people you can't please no matter what you do. [8]

I don't offer a return policy and my shipping fees are clearly stated in the auctions. If a buyer wants to renegotiate costs after the auction is over they can take a slow boat to china because it ain't happening!![:)]
  • Options
    hoosierhoosier Member Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:To have FedEx or UPS stop to pick up is an additional charge , when they are here almost every day anyway. usually the day I have outgoing shipments, they have nothing to deliver, then I chase the truck!

UPS will stop every day if you are set up on a weekly account $ 26.00 or $ 10.00 per week for on call pickup, and no additional charges per daily pick up.

We use UPS for items on the East and West Coast as its cheaper that the USPS from here, but some items Go USPS.

I just sent a Remington 3200 Stock set to AZ by USPS. By the time it was done with postage, insurance, and signature it was over $ 40.00
    Magazines, Gun Parts and More. US Army Veteran, VFW, NRA Patron
  • Options
    rossowmnrossowmn Member Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As a buyer, I have no problem with a shipping charge of $10, or $25, or $100. As others have said, I can just figure it into the total cost -- top bid, shipping charge, transfer fee, etc. What worries me is the "buyer pays actual shipping," because I never know how that is defined. Is it just the UPS or USPS charge, or does it include box, bubble wrap, paper stuffing, tape, employee paid to go to post office and back, etc.? I appreciate sellers who give the shipping charge upfront so I can factor it into my top bid. Vague "actual shipping" usually won't get my bid (which may mean I'm missing a bargain, or not). Just my opinion as a frequent buyer.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rossowmn, I have bid a number of times on auctions with actual shipping charges listed. I have never been blind sided or cheated. The shipping has always been less than the usual $25 to $30 and as near as I can tell the shipping cost with no additional packing and handling fees. In most cases they gave gone to my transfer ffl in a USPS priority box.

I can't guarantee that will be always be the case, and next time I may be hit with a $100 charge, but so far I have dealt with honest folks I believe and never cheated. Perhaps that will give you a little confidence just in case one you really want is listed that way.
  • Options
    neacpaneacpa Member Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't understand the wide variances in shipping prices. They seem to be all over the place. Couple of months ago I bought a carburator for my weedeater online (not an auction). Total price was $8.99 including shipping from China.

Still confuses me how they could make this carburator and ship it all the way from China for $8.99. Just for me to mail a handful of pages in a 9x12 envelope costs me over $5.00 at the local post office.
  • Options
    wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ricci, some folks are just miserable and you cant please em. $30.oo is more than fair. When you consider the handling involved in properly packing taping and labeling. Hauling it down to the carrier. Its a bargain.

Tell the buyer he needs to get a clue...
    "What is truth?'
  • Options
    rossowmnrossowmn Member Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by He Dog
    Rossowmn, I have bid a number of times on auctions with actual shipping charges listed. I have never been blind sided or cheated. The shipping has always been less than the usual $25 to $30 and as near as I can tell the shipping cost with no additional packing and handling fees. In most cases they gave gone to my transfer ffl in a USPS priority box.

I can't guarantee that will be always be the case, and next time I may be hit with a $100 charge, but so far I have dealt with honest folks I believe and never cheated. Perhaps that will give you a little confidence just in case one you really want is listed that way.

I had occasional cases of worse luck before I mostly quit bidding on these auctions. In the most recent case several months ago, I was charged $32 for a package that shipped for something like $12. I thought $20 handling and packaging was a bit much. To each his own.
  • Options
    Gunman760Gunman760 Member Posts: 140 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Of the few times that I have listed guns on the auction side, I always used "actual shipping costs". I have never charged for the box, wrapping, or tape required to ship said gun. The only thing I charge is what UPS or the USPS has charged me with insurance and signature required. I have always tried to keep the cost as low as possible for the buyer. Just my .02 cents.
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Shipping is the reason I don't sell on GB anymore, too much hassle, especially to sell a handgun with out being an FFL. I'm not going to take a hit on my auction price because it will cost me $50 to ship, just sell it locally. But I sure do like to buy on GB [:D], but I do look at shipping prices, if I perceive a gouger I move on to another auction.
  • Options
    mmppresmmppres Member Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with Ricci
    some times you win a few dollars not often. I combine auctions an when you stuff 2 or 3 rifles in one box its heavy. 30 to 40 is normal on rifles. 15.00 to 25.00 for most pistol. all get insurance an adult signature which is not free. I am stuck in an area were to use brown i have to drive over an hour round trip its not worth it. I state in my auction i use USPS priority so if some one wants some thing special read whole dang auction write up.