In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Nov. 1, 1984

NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,652 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2020 in General Discussion
As many of us head to the hills to go hunting this fall I would like to remind everyone to please identify your target and be 100% sure what it is that you are shhoting at. On November 1st, 1984 my best friend was shot off his horse by a careless hunter. Delly was only 24 years old with an 18 month old son and his wife was pregnant with their second boy. The fella that shot him had seen a large bull elk in the area and was wired up pretty tight. Del was riding a red and white horse and had orange ribbons tied to both himself and his horse. He had stopped at a spring to water his horse when the careless hunter saw movement and fired. I was only a couple hundred yards away and heard the shot. There's not a day goes by that I don't think about that incident and how one mans careless actions ended a life and changed so many others. Pete Kershaw, founder of Kershaw Knives, was one of the members of our hunting party that awful day and designed the DWO model knife in honor of my friend.
Please be careful out there folks.

Edit 11/1/16
Well, it's that day again.
Just wanted to remind everyone how horribly wrong things can go when we become complacent/careless with our firearms.

During the last year I've had a number of opportunities to spend more time with Del's two boys and they have turned into remarkable young men. I know he would be very proud of them.

Edit 10/29/2017
In light of Sam06's recent post (http://forums.GunBroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=701810)
I thought I'd bring this up again a couple days early.
Be damn careful what you're shooting at, folks. A moments carelessness can and will lead to unthinkable tragedy.

11/1/018
Be Careful Out There!!!!

11/1/2020
Please share this story with any young hunters you know. Maybe by doing so we can head off another tragedy.
Be careful, folks!

Comments

• Options
    USN_AirdaleUSN_Airdale Member Posts: 2,987
    edited November -1
    my wife and i were Elk hunting in Colorado about the same year, 1984ad, we were fired on, the bullet hit the tree my wife was leaning against, i yelled, "STOP SHOOTING" pulled my 1911 and emptied it at about a 45 degree angle in the air towards the sound of the shot. THAT was my/our last year of hunting.

it's too bad we have idiot shooters afield, i will never call them hunters, as they do not know the first thing about "HUNTING", i did learn from some experts, my Great Aunts and Uncles, my Great Aunt Minerva was the best at squirrel hunting she always made head shots, my Great Uncle Clyde was best at water fowl, my Great Aunt Viola was best at deer hunting, also a head shot hunter, my Uncle Orris was best at fishing.
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Reminds me of the conversation I had with a G&F Warden that got interrupted by a barrage of shots from our rear. I was showing him the new Forestry Supplies 10X Blaze Orange vest I had just bought for work/hunting, and had just opened it up to maximum orangeness when 3 shots came from about 200yds behind us.
    Seems the ,"Wow!" from the Warden sounded like a Cow Elk to this color-blind Moron, and he figured to take an Elk with a couple well-aimed "sound shots".
    We both hit the ground as I emptied my SKS in the direction the shots had come from, trying to gain the upper hand in volume of fire.
    We heard the Moron yell something, and I yelled to Stop Shooting! You dumb SOB! We heard a meek response, and got in the Wardens' truck to see who it was.
    We came upon a little old guy (just turned 50!) who was hunting Elk for the first time ever, and was trying a new technique of shooting at anything that made noise.
    I had got him in the left shoulder; he had hit the Wardens' truck behind the door.
    I applied a pressure bandage, checked his vitals, and determined he was going into shock (Hypovolemic-guess I got him good!).
    The Warden drove him into town, took his rifle and ammo, left a number for him to call, and rejoined me at my campsite a few hours later.
    We were still shaken that some Moron would actually shoot at noises in the woods, and were discussing what could be done about it when we heard a group of shooters zoom by in a pickup, blasting into the sides of the road and passing a bottle of booze.
    It was almost dark by this time, and the Warden hit the spotlight on these slobs.
    One guy fell out when the driver gunned it, the rest started hiding the booze and guns.
    Needless to say; that was the last time I hunted Public Lands.
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dennisnielsen
    I will never hunt public land just for reasons just like that.

RIP

I got news for you that kinda crap doesn't just happen on public hunting grounds.
  • Options
    rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
    edited November -1
    gunnut 505 -you should be arrested
    for attempted murder and I cannot believe
    the game warden didn't do his job and arrest you.

The sound shot guy had no malicious intentions
    as terribly wrong as it was but you
    tried to kill him.

Either this is a manufactured story or
    you're posting from jail.
  • Options
    skicatskicat Member Posts: 14,431
    edited November -1
    I hunt public, or as I like to call it "our land", every year and I have little trouble. We have over 300 million people in this country and statistically speaking a certain number will turn out to be complete doorknobs. When it comes down to risk assessment I figure I am still in more danger while driving to my hunting area than I am when in the woods.
  • Options
    dpmuledpmule Member Posts: 6,652 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I remember hearing and reading about the incident at the time.
    Thanks for reminding us.

RIP.

Delly Wade Officer
  • Options
    guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That kind of incident happens here every year, it seems.

All too often, the one doing the shooting knows the one he shot. Friends....family.

Be careful out there, guys.
  • Options
    AzhunterAzhunter Member Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    National Forests are all I hunt, and I've never experienced that, but Az. is pretty open country.
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I try to stay out of the woods, even most of my woods this time of year just because of morons that don't identify their targets, and don't know whose land they are on. Its obvious from this story that orange does no good with some hunters.

My ex-wife used to put orange paint on the sides of her pasture horses during hunting season because some numbskull shot a 4H horse that we were boarding.
  • Options
    jwb267jwb267 Member Posts: 19,666 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

RIP

the same here[:(]
  • Options
    Blade SlingerBlade Slinger Member Posts: 5,891
    edited November -1
    One county south of here just let rifles go for big game, it is public land with a bad reputation for crazy city hunters. I feel sorry for the people living there, bad enough during shotgun season[:(] I for one will be staying home this deer season of head north far from the carnage.[;)] I can just picture the hunters,lookin like they just stepped out of cabelas with trusty 30.06 auto loader in hand with belts of ammo crossing their chests.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dpmule
    I remember hearing and reading about the incident at the time.
    Thanks for reminding us.

RIP.

Delly Wade Officer

That's the one.
    I stopped by his gravesite a couple months back and had a good long chat.
    It irritates me when they are advertising the DWO knives that some of the sites refer to him as a 'legendary game warden'. He wasn't a game warden, he was a rancher and during deer and elk seasons his family ran guided hunts on their land and on the adjoining national forest.
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    My last time hunting think it was 87. I was shot at. Guy was firing at movement in the wood which was me. We were not far from him either. He had seen movement jumped out of his truck and put the rifle across the hood and began firing. His truck was a 72 Chevy with the fuel tank behind the seat.

I unloaded my 9MM into that area of his truck. He did jump into his truck and drive off but we saw him later walking out of the woods. But that is why I stopped hunting. It happens every year here.
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,962 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by armilite

RIP
    +1

I got news for you that kinda crap doesn't just happen on public hunting grounds.
  • Options
    8000fthi8000fthi Member Posts: 864 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I was 15 I was hunting with my dad in MN with shot guns when we saw a doe run into slew grass from a hill, My dad said don't shoot unless you can see her. All I could see was grass moving. We stood there for about 10 min and saw grass moving towards us, heard crunching and out walked a hunter. We a about dirtied our shorts thinking what could have happened. I also had a relative that was shot and killed by his son-in-law while deer hunting. An accident ????? No witnesses.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rong

tried to kill him.

Nope, I was never charged with anything for shooting in self defense; even the guy I shot declined to press charges. Seems he had been shot at once, but failed to learn from it.
    Warden James McDaniels was also a close friend; he was the one that got me into acting as bait alongside another Warden when we had a problem with "deer poachers"; as in some armed pinhead comes into your kill's zone and proclaims it his kill at gunpoint, and chases the hunters off, keeping their guns and usually their truck.
    Easily traced, happened in Tijeras Canyon East of Albq. in 1986.
    The shooting was never in the paper.
  • Options
    guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by GreatGuns

Thank you! That's very reassuring, as we don't need "high fence" hunters (read: inexperienced, captive game, "zoo hunters") like you out there jeopardizing the safety of real hunters like my friends, my family and myself. [8]

"J"

Take your beef with Dennis somewhere else....don't piss on this thread.
  • Options
    Wyatt EarpWyatt Earp Member Posts: 5,871
    edited November -1
    I was deer hunting in 1986 with a game warden friend of mine when several bullets blasted into the campfire where we were roasting smores. I knew the shots were from nearby so I hit the dirt, checked to make sure my 1911 was still holstered on my side, stuck my bowie knife between my clenched teeth and began a rapid army crawl toward the shooter. Imagine my surprise when I lurched out from behind a bush to confront...them. That's right, there were 8 of them, all drunk with their deer rifles still in their hands. I shot 7 of them between the eyes then heard a nauseating click sound as my 1911 ran out of ammo.

Being that there was no time to switch mags, I plunged my bowie knife deep into the last guy's eye socket.

This story is only mildly less believable than some I've read in this thread.

Oh yeah I almost forgot, the bullets in the campfire started a forest fire that burned half of Montana and also resulted in a C-130, which was dumping fire retardant, to crash, killing all aboard, except the pilot, who was unscathed but was mauled to death by a bear as he tried to hike off the mountain. The end.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Someone shooting a human being while hunting is murder.
  • Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    A few random thoughts:

The splinter pattern bright orange hunting vest/jacket
    is used because deer are color-blind, and will only see
    the camo pattern.

So..what if the hunter is color blind? I had to take a
    color-blindness test each time I got a flight physical,
    and pass it, or no medical clearance!

No medical clearance=no flying!

So, as has been mentioned further up this string,
    when that blaze 'international distress' orange vest was
    flashed, could it have been a color-blind shooter noticing it?

..which leads to my thought:

If I had to take a C/B test to be legal to fly,
    should hunters also be required (perhaps on a one-time basis)
    to take a C/B test in order to qualify for a hunting certificate?

Opinions? Thanks, Joe
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Given my experience, I'm of the opinion that there is no safe color. When you pick up that shotgun/rifle/pistol and head to the woods you have taken responsibility for everyone's safety. You need to positively identify the object at which you aim your firearm. This is done by the shape of the object, not it's color. My buddy was shot off his red and white paint horse from about 40 yards away through light mountain mahogany brush and a few pines. The shooter did not identify the target, he heard a noise, saw a movement, and shot.

Edit for spelling
  • Options
    retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Great Tribute to your long lost friend...

I'll second the "Be Careful Out There"...

Deer or Elk don't look anything like an Orange Wearing Hunter...
    But... When the fever sets in... The mind plays tricks...

And public lands with fevered trigger happy hunters hell bent on gettin' that first kill of the season...
    Can make a Great Huntin' Trip go South... Real Quick!

But accidents can happy anywhere... Safety First... Good Luck to ALL this season.
  • Options
    Wyatt EarpWyatt Earp Member Posts: 5,871
    edited November -1
    My son used to help a friend guide duck hunts. He said those wealthy lawyers from Dallas would come in with their $1500 shotguns and barely knew which end of the gun the lead came out. Said his friend just refused to hunt with some of them a 2nd time.
  • Options
    wildthingwildthing Member Posts: 93 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    While these stories are scary and some end in tradgey, there is something you can do,instead of quitting a sport you enjoy. Take up teaching a HUNTER SAFTEY COURSE. Pass on to other hunters and new ones that want to be hunters how to hunt safely. In Wisconsin we had our first non death hunting season because myself and other hunters give up some free time every year to new hunters and older ones saftey in the woods and handleing of firearms safley. Don't give up hunting, teach others to do it safeley. Have a happy and safe hunt. Wildthing
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by NeoBlackdog
    Given my experience, I'm of the opinion that there is no safe color. When you pick up that shotgun/rifle/pistol and head to the woods you have taken responsibility for everyone's safety. You need to positively identify the object at which you aim your firearm. This is done by the shape of the object, not it's color. My buddy was shot off his red and white paint horse from about 40 yards away through light mountain mahogany brush and a few pines. The shooter did not identify the target, he heard a noise, saw a movement, and shot.

Edit for spelling
    I'm gonna have to second NeoBlackdog's comments here...

Color is only secondary to visual confirmation...

If you can't confirm WHAT IT IS... Or confirm WHAT IS BEYOND your intended target...
    It is a NO SHOOT Situation... PERIOD.

Doin' Anything less is just damn stupid IMO...

And I'm gonna further say that huntin' accidents should be non-existent...
    Given the responsibility accepted by the hunting community...

The fact that typical public lands hunters DON'T abide by the common sence rules of the woods...
    Is exactly why I don't hunt public lands.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wildthing
    While these stories are scary and some end in tradgey, there is something you can do,instead of quitting a sport you enjoy. Take up teaching a HUNTER SAFTEY COURSE. Pass on to other hunters and new ones that want to be hunters how to hunt safely. In Wisconsin we had our first non death hunting season because myself and other hunters give up some free time every year to new hunters and older ones saftey in the woods and handleing of firearms safley. Don't give up hunting, teach others to do it safeley. Have a happy and safe hunt. Wildthing
    While in theory your comments have merit...
    In practicality, you have to have willing STUDENTS before you can teach 'em anything...

As my Dad always said... "You can take a horse to water... BUT, you can not make 'im drink."
  • Options
    wildthingwildthing Member Posts: 93 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    So you just don't try? Spend time teaching any and all you meet the how's and why's of saftey. The more you can get the wod out the safer it will be for everyone in the feild. Go to your department of natural resources and volenteer your time. There are a lot of people that would love to learn the correct and safe way to shoot and hunt.Pass on what you know,thenn they can pass on to others what they have learned. I have had fathers contact me and tell me that their kids have corrected them while hunting. I figure that was an accident that didn't happen. Don't just give up, it is our sport. Keep it safe' wildthing
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost
    Someone intentionally shooting at and killing a human being while hunting is murder.

Fixed it for you.
    It may also be considered Manslaughter, Assault with a Deadly Weapon, 2nd Degree Murder, or Attempted Murder if charges are pressed.
    Shooting in Self Defense is a different kettle of fish, whether the shootee is killed or not.
  • Options
    KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gunnut505

seems to me that the rend and green statements above are conflicting ideas.

if it was never in the papers, how could it be easily traceable?

me thinks this story is:

bsflag.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    BTT
    Be careful out there!
    Know beyond the shadow of a doubt what you're shooting at!
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by retroxler58
    quote:Originally posted by NeoBlackdog

Edit for spelling
    I'm gonna have to second NeoBlackdog's comments here...

Color is only secondary to visual confirmation...

If you can't confirm WHAT IT IS... Or confirm WHAT IS BEYOND your intended target...
    It is a NO SHOOT Situation... PERIOD.

Doin' Anything less is just damn stupid IMO...

And I'm gonna further say that huntin' accidents should be non-existent...
    Given the responsibility accepted by the hunting community...

The fact that typical public lands hunters DON'T abide by the common sence rules of the woods...
    Is exactly why I don't hunt public lands.

While I agree with many of your points, your statement:

"The fact that typical public lands hunters DON'T abide by the common sence rules of the woods..."

In my experience this isn't even remotely true. There is nothing "typical" in the behavior you describe. In fact, it is not typical of most public land hunters.
  • Options
    jev1969jev1969 Member Posts: 2,691
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by GreatGuns

Thank you! That's very reassuring, as we don't need "high fence" hunters (read: inexperienced, captive game, "zoo hunters") like you out there jeopardizing the safety of real hunters like my friends, my family and myself. [8]

"J"

I don't hunt public lands either. Maybe someday I will and become a "real hunter" like you. Until then I'll just stick to hunting on my own land.
  • Options
    jev1969jev1969 Member Posts: 2,691
    edited November -1
    Gunnut, you state that the shooter was 200 yards away. At that distance the shooter could have very easily been taking a legitimate shot at a deer and had no idea you and your friend were down range. Turns out he was a knucklehead but you had no way of knowing that when you opened fire on him. You are lucky you didn't kill him. In this case I'm not sure who I'd feel safer being in the woods with.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by KEVD18
    quote:Originally posted by gunnut505

seems to me that the rend and green statements above are conflicting ideas.

if it was never in the papers, how could it be easily traceable?

me thinks this story is:

bsflag.gif

Think whatever you wish; just try and comprehend what you read.
    The "easily traceable" was for the Deer hunter poacher; the shooting was never in the paper because he never pressed charges, and the "investigation" was concluded at the hospital.

I don't have to embellish anything in my life's experience; especially to someone's 9 Y.O. kid or some anonymous boaster on the interwebs.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One time in band camp......[:D]
  • Options
    Removed at users request.Removed at users request. Member Posts: 3,027
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Wyatt Earp
    I was deer hunting in 1986 with a game warden friend of mine when several bullets blasted into the campfire where we were roasting smores. I knew the shots were from nearby so I hit the dirt, checked to make sure my 1911 was still holstered on my side, stuck my bowie knife between my clenched teeth and began a rapid army crawl toward the shooter. Imagine my surprise when I lurched out from behind a bush to confront...them. That's right, there were 8 of them, all drunk with their deer rifles still in their hands. I shot 7 of them between the eyes then heard a nauseating click sound as my 1911 ran out of ammo.

Being that there was no time to switch mags, I plunged my bowie knife deep into the last guy's eye socket.

This story is only mildly less believable than some I've read in this thread.

Oh yeah I almost forgot, the bullets in the campfire started a forest fire that burned half of Montana and also resulted in a C-130, which was dumping fire retardant, to crash, killing all aboard, except the pilot, who was unscathed but was mauled to death by a bear as he tried to hike off the mountain. The end.

That was bad *.[:D][:D][:D]

I would have probably filled my pants and someone would have had to dig me out from under a log.[;)]
  • Options
    Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    NeoBlackdog - Thanks for the thoughtful reminder and the sage advice, appreciated. [^]
  • Options
    shootuadealshootuadeal Member Posts: 5,241 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rong

tried to kill him.

Agree 100% What you did was much worse in my opinion and I concur that this was a made up story most likely.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Alan Rushing

NeoBlackdog - Thanks for the thoughtful reminder and the sage advice, appreciated. [^]

You're welcome. Most folks on here strike me as responsible folks, but a little reminder now and then never hurts.
  • Options
    we_dig_itwe_dig_it Member Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Alan Rushing

+1