In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Back in the day this is the rifle I trained with

Comments

• Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When my father was in basic training in the army...

They had trained and qualified with the garand and then they took them away and had them requal and retrain with the m-14...

I do not imagine many went through a similar experience and basic ran long by weeks to many trainees horror...

Interesting tidbit of trivia.

Mike
  • Options
    Wild TurkeyWild Turkey Member Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Carried the Garand in ROTC training; the M-14 at advanced summer camp (Ft. Sill, 1970) and then had to qualify with the M16A1 at Signal Basic Officer Course.[:D]

Got me a CMP M-1 that's fun to shoot!
  • Options
    NavybatNavybat Member Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Carried the Garand during our 5 mile "Indian runs"...whew. Hot in Pensacola, Florida.
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Was carrying the M1 in the summer of '62 with Mike 3/4
    when we got the M14.
    What's next?
  • Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had an M1 carbine in Germany from 59 to 61. I thought it was amusing when there was an article in the Stars & Stripes paper that there were no more M1 carbines on active duty anywhere in the world. The article said they had all been transferred to reserve units.
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,786 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Entered not long after the transition to what was deemed "Mattel" by the older more experienced cadre. Most were still in a state of shock the government would force such "Plastic POS" on them.

Many today may disagree, but that was the prevailing attitude of most GIs at the time.
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by chiefr
    Entered not long after the transition to what was deemed "Mattel" by the older more experienced cadre. Most were still in a state of shock the government would force such "Plastic POS" on them.

Many today may disagree, but that was the prevailing attitude of most GIs at the time.

Boot Marine changed over late I was in one of the 1st With M16. They preached to keep it clean.

Had My 1st run in with a M1 Garand Dec 1984. Springfield Oregon the Christmas Parade. The Reserve Company Gunny Decided we would look better if we carried Garands and he happened to bring a pair for the Color Guard. Think my right arm was stretched longer. Could not even Bend my arm after the Parade.

They tried to have the two carrying them do a Rifle Inspection. I told them where to stick it. I smoked then could not even reach my Mouth with a Cigarette when we were done.

But it did give me a whole new respect for those who went before me.
  • Options
    chollagardenschollagardens Member Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Trained with the M-14 in bssic at Fort Ord 1966. AIT medic so no weapons training. Uncle Sam waited for me to become 18 years old and shipped me to Viet Nam 1967. Issued a M-16.
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by grumpygy
    quote:Originally posted by chiefr

Boot Marine changed over late I was in one of the 1st With M16. They preached to keep it clean.

Had My 1st run in with a M1 Garand Dec 1984. Springfield Oregon the Christmas Parade. The Reserve Company Gunny Decided we would look better if we carried Garands and he happened to bring a pair for the Color Guard. Think my right arm was stretched longer. Could not even Bend my arm after the Parade.

They tried to have the two carrying them do a Rifle Inspection. I told them where to stick it. I smoked then could not even reach my Mouth with a Cigarette when we were done.

But it did give me a whole new respect for those who went before me.

That's a good one, David!!!! It brings back some trying times, but it's only a matter of getting use to it. I was on my company's combat competition squad, we carried it at port arms with packs, cartridge belt, two canteens of water, wearing the flak jacket and gas masks on three mile runs, in formation and in step. [:D]
    What's next?
  • Options
    tccoxtccox Member Posts: 7,379 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Trained at Ft Jackson SC Jan 60 with the Garand. Korea issue was the 45 since I was an armed courier. Went to Ethiopia and my issue was the carbine. Tom
  • Options
    truthfultruthful Member Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In WWII a good many raw recruits, many of which had no previously firearms familiarity, trained state-side with '03 Springfields. Then they were shipped to Europe and there were issued the Garands with little if any training on those.