In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Swimming pool problems

nutfinnnutfinn Member Posts: 12,808 ✭✭✭
edited April 2013 in General Discussion
The fellow that build the pool, did not do a good job with the ground work under the concrete.

I know this will have to be eventually fixed right, but would you use epoxy or silicone on this crack? This is in the skimmer that sucks the water in.

IMG_2784.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Oso2142Oso2142 Member Posts: 2,940
    edited November -1
    I have a swimming pool. Did I tell you guys that the swimming pool is a PITA? [:(!]

But, it's so nice to go into your own swimming pool. [:)]

I just replaced a module that controls my cleaning system, and now I have to pull a motor because one of the O-rings is leaking. Oh, and I have a valve, that's gone bad, allowing the jacuzzi to drain and fill into the swimming pool.

Oh well, in the long run, it's worth it, I suppose.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dennisnielsen
    forgot to mention about pump aeration

it can burn a pump up real quick with a air leak on the intake like that
    Yep, I have noticed when I put the hose that covers the entire skimmer, that it has been sucking air somewhere, since I can hear the pump screaming. Thanks for you help Dennis :)
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Oso2142
    I have a swimming pool. Did I tell you guys that the swimming pool is a PITA? [:(!]

Swimming pools are like boats...best two days in a pool owners life..the day he gets it, and the day he fills it in!!!

I grew up with an in ground pool, by the time I was a teenager my Dad had it filled it. It was non stop maintenance and expense.

My SIL just signed a contract for $25K for an in ground pool....I think she's nutz...she'll never use ti enough to get that $25K out of it, plus it won't even be put in until the end of August, so she'll use it for month this season before its covered.
  • Options
    nordnord Member Posts: 6,106
    edited November -1
    As much as I hate to say it... Do it right or do it over.

Cut the pad around the skimmer body and replace the whole assembly. I know. There's plumbing, the liner, and all sorts of bother involved. And don't get me wrong, a temporary fix for the rest of the season is certainly a good idea.

You might say this is a pain in the drain.
  • Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    pools ..just another hole to dump water & money into
  • Options
    TopkickTopkick Member Posts: 4,452 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    As stated, epoxy fill and drill small holes at the end of the cracks.

I repaired my pump housing the same way and it works great.
  • Options
    CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Having a swimming pool is like owning a boat, just keep pouring money into it all the time.
  • Options
    riflemikeriflemike Member Posts: 10,599
    edited November -1
    wish all i had was pool problems consider yourself LUCKY[:D]
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,667 ******
    edited November -1
    Tear it down and buy a hot tub.
    You'll wish you had your pool back.
  • Options
    djh860djh860 Member Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are some clay like epoxies that will cure under water I'd try that kneed it into a rope and press it into the crack. A large patch with 2nd piece of plastic is also a possiblility.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by djh860
    There are some clay like epoxies that will cure under water I'd try that kneed it into a rope and press it into the crack. A large patch with 2nd piece of plastic is also a possiblility.

Does anybody know where I might get some of this clay type epoxy that cures under water?
  • Options
    RUGERGUNZRUGERGUNZ Member Posts: 5,638 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nutfinn

You don't need epoxy.

You NEED 3M Marine Adhesive Sealant 5200.

TRUST me on this, this stuff is amazing. It will cure underwater and is imprevious to anything! I sealed 4 bolts on my outboard motor. When I went to take my motor off, I pulled all 4 bolts and could not get the motor off without a prybar (60hp motor)

I have jeans that have worn out before the 5200 has worn off even a little bit.

If you cannot find it online email me a message and I can get you some from my Marine store. It isn't cheap, something like $10 for a 3 oz tube but it is amazing.

If you use the 5200, the rest of the pool will fail before the patch!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Forgot to add, don't get it on your skin unless you like white hands for awhile.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Recon if I can buy this locally anywhere? I checked 3M site and Montgomery was closest place [:(]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I just ordered two tubes [:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nutfinn
    I just ordered two tubes [:D]

Great, let me know how it works out. I am confident that you will be happy.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I just had a chance to check the crack, it is a crack ok, it that pipe pushing thru, the skimmer housing, so we'll see. I will try to bubble gum and bailing wire this pool thing as long as possible [8)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm tellin ya, lather the 5200 on thick, don't be stingy. (good tip is put on a surgical glove and when done turn inside out and toss).

Last spring my skiff (small rowboat) had a huge crack on the bottom corner and would take on about 6" of water in 8 hrs. I didn't feel like hauling it home and glassing it (lazy). So I bought a tube of 5200 and a glove. Cut the bottom off the tube, squirted it out into my gloved hand and just spread it over the hole. Still haven't glassed the boat and still doesn't leak. I spread it over the hole with a couple of inches of water in the boat and without prepping the surface. Just sayin.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sweet, I will give a shot [:)]
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,979 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I thought I had a leak in our hottub turns out it must have just been evaporation.
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,381 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shilowar

Swimming pools are like boats....
    Yep, thus my desire to own neither.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Horse Plains Drifter
    quote:Originally posted by shilowar

Swimming pools are like boats....
    Yep, thus my desire to own neither.

I own 4 boats and my parents just bought a house with an inground pool with a liner. The boats are cheaper to maintain.
  • Options
    ForkliftkingForkliftking Member Posts: 4,907 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have 3 boats, a pool, and a hot tub. None of them really require much work. Guess opinions vary though. Typically the ones with the biggest opinions, don't own any of the above.
  • Options
    ForkliftkingForkliftking Member Posts: 4,907 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CS8161
    Having a swimming pool is like owning a boat, just keep pouring money into it all the time.

Would you mind posting a picture of your boat and your pool so us pool and boat owners will understand what you are talking about?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Just wondering if you have had a chance to try and fix it with 5200 and if it worked. I hope so or else I will feel bad getting you to buy it, but it has always worked for me.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by RUGERGUNZ
    Just wondering if you have had a chance to try and fix it with 5200 and if it worked. I hope so or else I will feel bad getting you to buy it, but it has always worked for me.
    We have had so much rain, and it is not leaking that much, so I have not tried it yet. I did received the 5200 stuff, and will probably try it when I open the pool next spring.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    OK, finally I got to this [:)] Drained the pool little bit to get it fry and now I got the stuff curing [8)] Pretty potent stuff, hard to get out of your hands
  • Options
    dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK, finally I got to this [:)] Drained the pool little bit to get it fry and now I got the stuff curing [8)] Pretty potent stuff, hard to get out of your hands

What? Don
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcon12

What? Don
    You know fried chicken.. huh ??
  • Options
    retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcon12

What? Don
    Gotta hand it to you Don... You don't miss nuthin'... [:D]

I too am curious WTH you mean... Is that Scandinavian or sumthin'... ?
  • Options
    reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good luck on the repair...We had a pool also...key word HAD...it was filled in 3 years ago...dont miss it one bit
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    MudderChuckMudderChuck Member Posts: 4,105
    edited November -1
    Whatever you do, don't grab your Hootus with that sticky stuff on your fingers, or this thread could go 23 pages.[:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Did the 5200 work?
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by djh860

Does anybody know where I might get some of this clay type epoxy that cures under water?
    Pool store.It's called "Magic pool patch". At least what we use here.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by RUGERGUNZ
    Did the 5200 work?
    Don't know yet