In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Cut the cable cord

djh860djh860 Member Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭
edited November 2014 in General Discussion
About 3 months ago I cut the cable cord. All was going well until football season. I have a good antenna but I don't get FOX and we miss some games.
Today I set up a VPN virtual private network that gives me a UK internet address I used ipvanish. With that running I logged onto NFL and signed up for a 7 day free trial and yes they do think I'm in the UK. If it all works I'll get an NFL subscription for 59 pounds and be on my way to access to every game all season long including redzone.
My TV has a pc connection so I'll actually be watching the games on my TV. I watched a replay of the Thursday night game and the quality seems great!

Comments

• Options
    ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,658 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get a roku box..wirelessly gives free tv & movie channels as well as running pay movie services like netflix. No monthly fee for roku. Lots of free outdoor shows too. You do need a wireless internet router though.
  • Options
    djh860djh860 Member Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oh yes I have Roku I love it.
  • Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    williwmwilliwm Member Posts: 194 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used a Roku box for about 4 years' very easy to operate. I changed to a gbox a few months ago, while not as user friendly or consistent, it can give you endless choices. Probably needs 5+mbs internet connection speed to take full advantage of the programs but I only have an internet speed of 1.5 mbs available, I'm able to stream enough to keep me entertained.
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by williwm
    I used a Roku box for about 4 years' very easy to operate. I changed to a gbox a few months ago, while not as user friendly or consistent, it can give you endless choices. Probably needs 5+mbs internet connection speed to take full advantage of the programs but I only have an internet speed of 1.5 mbs available, I'm able to stream enough to keep me entertained.

What the hell is carpet bagger under your call sign mean[?]
  • Options
    williwmwilliwm Member Posts: 194 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wondered about that myself, moderator having fun?
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by djh860
    If it all works I'll get an NFL subscription for 59 pounds...

59 pounds of what? [:)]
  • Options
    fideaufideau Member Posts: 11,895 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Look up Satellite Direct and check it out. I bought it for $9.95. No more fees ever. I just haven't had time to try the TV connection. But I have a 19 in. computer screen I watched a World Series game on one night when the cable went out.
  • Options
    jwhardingjwharding Member Posts: 2,897 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Roku I the best thing going. I use it along with utube and watch just about anything I want to.
    Jw
  • Options
    bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,396 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jwharding
    Roku I the best thing going. I use it along with utube and watch just about anything I want to.
    Jw

Can you use it a a regular TV set?
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"
  • Options
    nutfinnnutfinn Member Posts: 12,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Over 3 years now, no cable or satellite TV [:)] I just got me a new streaming box Sony SNP-N200, 1080P, love it. $50