In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

SHTF Scenarios and Wishful Thinking

Wyatt EarpWyatt Earp Member Posts: 5,871
edited August 2011 in General Discussion
I'm not sure I believe the things Porter Stansberry says, but my dad bought a subscription to his newsletter, so I read it.

Some of what he says makes sense.

He believes that it's a mathmatical certainty that riots are coming here, but he added a twist I hadn't heard before which makes sense. And that is that many of the rioters in Greece and the UK believe that looting is ok, because they're just taking what they feel the government owes them. I can see that mentality spreading like wildfire in the US, because we have that entitlement mentality in spades (no pun intended).

He points out that "...when 45 million Americans on food stamps can't buy dinner because inflation has driven food prices up 400% in 12 months, it (riots) will happen here." Hell, about half of the welfare class riot for fun - they'll riot for entertainment, or because the counter employee at McDonalds won't sell them McNuggets at 10am. They will need very littkle coaxing to go bananas.

I am NOT hoping for SHTF!!! I'm the only one in my family who has prepared for that possibility. It would be devastating to my family, and really depressing for me to watch them suffer. So, I am NOT one of those fantasizing about SHTF...but I can do basic math in my head, and that tells me that it's not if, but when.

I'm afraid that Coop's famous words will prove prophetic...

Comments

• Options
    Duce1Duce1 Member Posts: 9,329
    edited November -1
    Now you know why I live miles from town and have few neighbors. No riots here.
  • Options
    cce1302cce1302 Member Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm planning to be one of the 99% that gets vaporized in the first hour of the nuclear holocaust.

If you're one of the radiation poisoned survivors, you're welcome to whatever you can find.
  • Options
    andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    And you guys believed that fake story about a Hurricane? There was no hurricane. The Kenyan made it up as a cover for inserting FEMA forces into strategic northeastern towns so that they can control this next year's elections. Hurricane? PPhhhhh! Never happened.
    [}:)]
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,282 ******
    edited November -1
    when the gov't takes and takes and takes, is supposed to be responsible for nannying you and then doesn't dole out the goods as promised, this is what you get.

This is exactly why we don't need a nanny state. I have no idea why folks want it. Totalitarianism isn't a fun way to live.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    River RatRiver Rat Member Posts: 9,022
    edited November -1
    My advice: get to know your neighbors. Help them out. Talk with them. Someday you will be working together to barricade your street or road.

No man is an island.

If everyone on my block is prepared, then my block is a fortress.
  • Options
    ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    I think riots will hit the so-called blue states, but the red states will likely escape the rioting nonsense. Whether they're white, black, or purple, most folks in the red states tend to have manners and ethics and a more developed sense of personal responsibility.
  • Options
    calrugerfancalrugerfan Member Posts: 18,209
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ElMuertoMonkey
    I think riots will hit the so-called blue states, but the red states will likely escape the rioting nonsense. Whether they're white, black, or purple, most folks in the red states tend to have manners and ethics and a more developed sense of personal responsibility.

I think it will hit the major cities first. When it starts spreading to the outskirts is when they rioters will learn some manners.
  • Options
    trapguy2007trapguy2007 Member Posts: 8,959
    edited November -1

In the red states it would be dangerous to go out and make an * out of yourself .
  • Options
    calrugerfancalrugerfan Member Posts: 18,209
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by trapguy2007

In the red states it would be dangerous to go out and make an * out of yourself .

Red states won't be immune. I'm guessing that downtown Houston is going to see some uprising.
  • Options
    ToolfogieToolfogie Member Posts: 1,254 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by calrugerfan

I think it will hit the major cities first. When it starts spreading to the outskirts is when they rioters will learn some manners.

And if they make it out to my neck of the woods, they better be downright civilized.
  • Options
    Wyatt EarpWyatt Earp Member Posts: 5,871
    edited November -1
    quote:

Red states won't be immune. I'm guessing that downtown Houston is going to see some uprising.

Just as a cherry Tootsie Pop has a chocolaty brown center, we don't claim downtown Houston as part of Texas' redness.
  • Options
    RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    spn05j5e04xq.gif

Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    you know,..I can see the black members of congress supporting welfare etc, if they were doing this in support of the FIRST or even SECOND generation of poor/underprivelaged folks.. HOWEVER, we are on the FIFTH generation of welfare recipients, and they have been trained and raised to do NOTHING for themselves to END their situation. The taxpayers have been punished for long enough by having to support people that have no positive contributions to society. It has to stop. And, they also act like blacks are the only ones working the welfare system,..........NOT!!!
  • Options
    scottm21166scottm21166 Member Posts: 20,723
    edited November -1

Do you really think that or are you ticklefishin' [:0][:D]
  • Options
    Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cce1302
    I'm planning to be one of the 99% that gets vaporized in the first hour of the nuclear holocaust.

If you're one of the radiation poisoned survivors, you're welcome to whatever you can find.
    I'm certain that I'd not care to be one of the chosen few that survived either.

There would be little or naught to look forward to in the short term or the long term. No thanks. [:(]