In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

glasses

stegsteg Member Posts: 871 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 2013 in General Discussion
Anyone who buys reading glasses without a perscription from an eye doctor is out of his/her mind. That is a good way to ruin your eyes!
For those of you who are Veterans and are registered with the VA for health care, Go to the nearest VA clinic or hospital. They will examine your eyes and give you the correct glasses for free. Don't ruin your eyes.

Comments

• torosapotorosapo Member Posts: 4,946
    edited November -1
    WRONG they will do the exam for free but no glasses unless service related. My eye sight went bad after having viral menengitis in 1987 while on active duty. VA has determined NOT service related, appeal did not help.
  • JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,385 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My eye doctor told me that if I wanted a cheap pair of glasses for whatever, to take my prescription in and match it up with the readers on the rack. Said it wouldnt hurt a thing!
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 35,988 ******
    edited November -1
    My eye doctor, an actual opthalmologist, diagnosed my presbyopia many years ago. At that time, there was no surgical correction for the condition. The doctor told me to go to the drug store and buy reading glasses. He said that's what he does, and he pulled a pair of drug store cheapies out of his pocket.
  • NOAHNOAH Member Posts: 9,690
    edited November -1
    +1 was told the same thing[:)]quote:Originally posted by JimmyJack
    My eye doctor told me that if I wanted a cheap pair of glasses for whatever, to take my prescription in and match it up with the readers on the rack. Said it wouldnt hurt a thing!
  • grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by torosapo
    WRONG they will do the exam for free but no glasses unless service related. My eye sight went bad after having viral menengitis in 1987 while on active duty. VA has determined NOT service related, appeal did not help.

Who did you piss off. Every 2 years I go in and get a checkup and 1 pair of glasses. The checkup I have been given each time is way more thorough than what I have paid for.
  • CoolhandLukeCoolhandLuke Member Posts: 7,825 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nunn
    My eye doctor, an actual opthalmologist, diagnosed my presbyopia many years ago. At that time, there was no surgical correction for the condition. The doctor told me to go to the drug store and buy reading glasses. He said that's what he does, and he pulled a pair of drug store cheapies out of his pocket.

Same here, brother in law is an Opthamologist. Not related to topic, but here it goes, he called me a couple days ago telling me about the great deal he got on an AK-47 from one of his patients[:)]
    We have to fight so we can run away.
    Capt. Jack Sparrow.
  • Sooeyman2035Sooeyman2035 Member Posts: 3,226
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hobo9650
    VA sucz, big $'s go to the people on "free stuff". All the vets get is crap.
    Bingo! Correct!
  • andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by grumpygy

Who did you piss off. Every 2 years I go in and get a checkup and 1 pair of glasses. The checkup I have been given each time is way more thorough than what I have paid for.

I guess it all comes down to which side you fought for, North or South. [:D][:D]
  • machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1

+1

The VA called me in for an eye exam. They discovered that my prescription needed to be changed, and I was called back again to pick up the new pair in one of the frame styles that they had me select from at the time of the exam.

Wish we could get dental care like illegals on the deportation list get at no charge.
    edited November -1
    Well if you guys are getting glasses I need to make a trip to Salt Lake City and raise a ruckus. I was told they would not pay for my glassaes even though I never needed them prior to illness in 1987.

I will give them a call and try again.
  • A J ChristA J Christ Member Posts: 7,534
    edited November -1
    I've used the VA for eye care since '92.

For the most part, they do good.
  • grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by machine gun moran

+1

The VA called me in for an eye exam. They discovered that my prescription needed to be changed, and I was called back again to pick up the new pair in one of the frame styles that they had me select from at the time of the exam.

Wish we could get dental care like illegals on the deportation list get at no charge.

Yep Dental care would be great if they did it.
  • retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    VA... "Volunteers ALL"... ?
  • 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is it just vets that need reading glasses, or do civilians need them too [:D]
    edited November -1
    The last time I saw them for an eye exam they told me not elgible due to not service related. I called the Salt Lake VA hospital this afternoon, they have to contact my Dr here to request consult for eye exam. When I get to the hospital I will let you guys know what they say. The person I talked to today couldn't tell me if I can get them.