In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

HAWAII sued for 2nd Amendment Rights

RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭
edited August 2011 in General Discussion
HONOLULU POLICE CHIEF AND STATE OF HAWAII
SUED FOR SECOND AMENDMENT VIOLATIONS

For Immediate Release: 8/23/2011

Honolulu, HI - The Hawaii Defense Foundation's founding director and president, Christopher Baker, has filed a lawsuit against Honolulu Chief of Police Louis Kealoha, the Honolulu Police Department, the City and County of Honolulu, the State of Hawaii, and Governor Neil Abercrombie in connection with civil rights violations of the Second and Fourteenth Amendments of the United States Constitution.

The complaint filed in the United States District Court for the District of Hawaii by attorneys Richard Holcomb, Alan Beck, and Kevin O'Grady alleges that Hawaii's license to carry statute and various other firearm regulations are unconstitutional. State law mandates that citizens may be provided licenses to carry only in "exceptional circumstance" or "where a need or urgency has been sufficiently indicated," all at the discretion of the county's Chief of Police. The complaint asserts that this language violates the Second Amendment, which secures the right of all responsible, law-abiding citizens to bear arms for the purpose of self-defense. Additionally, the complaint also addresses the use of non-lethal tools for self-defense such as electric guns, which are banned in in Hawaii.

"The Second Amendment protects the right to self-defense. Everyday around the islands good people are robbed, assaulted, raped, or in the worst cases murdered. It's simply a matter of physics, the Police can't be everywhere to stop criminals from committing violent acts. We must be allowed to carry the tools that give us a chance to protect ourselves from harm," says Chris Baker. "We want criminals to have to think about the consequences of attacking someone," he continued, "but right now, nothing serves as a deterrent to them - the odds are in their favor."

Hawaii Defense Foundation (www.TheHDF.org) is a domestic not-for-profit corporation based in Honolulu, Hawaii. The Foundation serves the community by providing various services, such as: legal defense of civil rights, educational courses on firearm safety, self-defense training, and life saving techniques - such as first aid and CPR. The Foundation has many supporters and members across the State of Hawaii.
spn05j5e04xq.gif

Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.

Comments

• Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,275 ******
    edited November -1
    I've heard HI is a pretty high crime state.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    in hawaii the criminals live in mortal fear of the words "book em dano"... ahhh noooo ???
  • Options
    Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,674 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hawaii is an odd place to live. The "locals" really don't like the military that are stationed there...and barely appreciate the tourists. I can't say I blame them though. The islands are either covered up with people, or secluded to the point that you would think you have traveled to another country. The locals live three generations to one house in LOTS of places....there can be 15-20 people sharing a small three bedroom house. The prices are so high there is little chance for some to do better than that.

I never had any problem while I was there. While I was there I was in the Navy so I never got the chance to try for my pistol permit. It wasn't something I wanted to try for anyway since I couldn't carry it on base. (I thought that was SO ridiculous.)
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    River RatRiver Rat Member Posts: 9,022
    edited November -1
    Glad to hear someone is taking this on in hawaii. One of the most restrictive states for gun ownership. Not too many left to topple --maybe half a dozen that do not allow "shall-issue" concealed carry?
  • Options
    Hunter MagHunter Mag Member Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:The complaint asserts that this language violates the Second Amendment, which secures the right of all responsible, law-abiding citizens to bear arms for the purpose of self-defense.
    I don't recall this in the 2A?
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,940 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hawaii is a great place to visit but I would not want to live there.