In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Washer knowledge anyone?

Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
edited May 2015 in General Discussion
We have an older GE washer with the turn dial know for water temp and wash cycle and two buttons for either normal or gentle wash. The other day I turned the washer on and went upstairs to do some things. When I went to check the washer, 45 minutes later, it was still on the first spin cycle. After a little playing around, I found that everything worked fine on the washer except it would not change cycles by itself. The small orange arrow on the cycle knob never moved. I took apart the control panel on top, looked everything over, and just kind of cleaned the little bit of dirt and grease up. Thinking that the cycle switch was bad, I left it apart for two days while we contemplated weather we were going to throw money into this older washer, or finally break down and buy a new one.

Well, today I put everything back together, making sure everything was nice and snug. We needed to do a couple loads of clothes for the work week. I turned the washer on and when I checked on it 5 minutes later, I found the arrow and know were turning by themselves. Awesome I thought! I did back-to-back loads of clothes without an issue. Two hours later, I threw a 3rd load of clothes in and now it won't change cycles by itself again. Dang! Any ideas?

Jon

Comments

• Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,750 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well as you guessed the timer isn't right,,,funny we had a friend put a load in the washer like yours and came home 8 hours later to find it still going,[B)],,they just got a new one since it was 12 years old,,that's what I would do,,and the newer ones are much quieter,,imo,,
  • Options
    boogerbooger Member Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I possibly had the same older GE washer. Replaced water pumps and whatever else, but not the switch. The transmission seal failed at 20 years old and it still ran for 5-6 more years dry, still ran when we bought another GE. It was made like a tank.

I never had problems with the switch, but bought all my parts at repairclinic.com for reasonable prices. It's an easy swap.

The advantages to the newer machines:
    Quieter, & generally much larger capacity.
    Cons: The new "passive" easy cleaning machines don't clean worth a crap. They have a lame slow motion agitator or none at all.

The older machines would be hard on clothes, but get them clean. New machines, just the opposite.

We bought a new GE machine as close to the old one as we could, all analog dial gauges etc. I figure one new machine every 30 years or so ain't a big deal.
  • Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    Split lockwasher, flat washer, star lock washer, fender washer, rubber washer, that's about all I can think of.
  • Options
    Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MG1890
    Split lockwasher, flat washer, star lock washer, fender washer, rubber washer, that's about all I can think of.

Always a wise cracker in the bunch! [:D]

Jon
  • Options
    EVILDR235EVILDR235 Member Posts: 4,398 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You forgot window washer.

XXXXXX
  • Options
    thorhammerthorhammer Member Posts: 956 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In 2 months you won't be able to buy a replacement washer like yours with the agitator.

They are all going to be High Efficiency washers.....and the reviews
    of people who use them are miserable. They use very little water,
    toss your clothes into a knot and leave streaks on your clothes.

When you peer inside the tub, it's huge with no agitator, you must
    pretend it has one and place your clothes in a circle. There are
    a multitude of settings for each type of clothes and soil and getting
    it wrong will leave your clothes less than clean and knotted.

Yeah the salespeople whoop them up, but the online reviews....."my LG
    lost it's bearings after 1 year and 7 hours, called warranty and was
    denied, my cost will be $400."

Well this weekend I bought a GE with the old style agitator and a
    matching dryer. That's when I asked the salesman how come you don't
    have more models with agitators.......Government rules are outlawing
    them because they take too much water.

good luck with your old washer, Thor