In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Looks like Ill be building an AR from nuts&bolts

CyclonusCyclonus Member Posts: 2,825
edited August 2011 in General Discussion
well looks like im going to be able to build an AR but the entire thing is going to be in pieces the upper is stripped and has parts the lower is stripped but has a parts kit and even the barrel is stripped so looks like im going to have some fun so lemme ask just how difficult is it to attack a barrel to an upper receiver. is it a royal pain and how on earth do you head space it to specifications.

Comments

• Options
    NiccoHelNiccoHel Member Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Cyclonus
    well looks like im going to be able to build an AR but the entire thing is going to be in pieces the upper is stripped and has parts the lower is stripped but has a parts kit and even the barrel is stripped so looks like im going to have some fun so lemme ask just how difficult is it to attack a barrel to an upper receiver. is it a royal pain and how on earth do you head space it to specifications.

You talking the real thing, or is this a model kit? [:o)]
  • Options
    quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 16,324
    edited November -1
    You will need a vice, and an upper receiver block and an armorers wrench, if you have those things it takes about 30 minutes to build an upper.

you will also need a punch and a hammer.

here is a video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCxa0JJU4Iw
  • Options
    edited November -1
    lets see I have the punch, the hammer, and the vice Ill probably have to make a receiver block and the armorers wrench I have a LOT of wrenches but we shall have to see on that thing.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Cyclonus
    lets see I have the punch, the hammer, and the vice Ill probably have to make a receiver block and the armorers wrench I have a LOT of wrenches but we shall have to see on that thing.

Shouldnt be hard to fabricate a U.R. block from a piece of wood.
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    An AR multi tool and a torque wrench are your friends. You don't want to over torque the barrel nut. minumum 30 lbs max 80 lbs
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Spend the $20 or so to get one of these. Otherwise you will monkey up the castle nut. (or not torque it to spec)

pix721415413.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CaptFun
    Spend the $20 or so to get one of these. Otherwise you will monkey up the castle nut. (or not torque it to spec)

pix721415413.jpg

+10
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Having the RIGHT TYPE of hammer and punches will make for a better end result. Assembling the parts using whatever you find in the kitchen drawer almost guarantees a poor final product.
    This advice is based on the building of about a dozen AR type rifles mostly from a small work bench in my basement. I use a heavy duty shop vise when tightening the barrel nut. My most valuable tool is the "flipper" plastic insert that goes into the magwell and can be clamped in a vise. The first step is install the mag release, then slip in the flipper and proceed from there. No more struggling to hold the lower while making the rest of the parts installation. Biggest caution is not to snap off the ears that hold the trigger guard while driving the pin through. That oops pretty well ruins the project and costs you a new lower.
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just watch the video I sent you in fact watch it twice, it will answer all your questions. And also check your email.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    alright checking mail now I got my video today will watch it later.
  • Options
    COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...Cy, think of it as one of the models you build, would you use the wrong tools and end up with all that time spent only to end up with junk?

You don't half-* any of your models, you use the correct tools, and you get the the great results you're after.

Punches that are not right, screwdrivers that dont fit, homemade "tools", 48oz framing hammer where a 12oz brass/nylon mallet should be used, all add up to a waste of time & money...and a crappy looking gun..USE THE RIGHT TOOLS!

Even if it takes awhile longer to obtain the CORRECT tools for the builds, the wait will be well worth it, in the end your guns will look good and be correct, and you will be proud of what you've accomplished.

Good for you on the builds...[^]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by COLT
    ...Cy, think of it as one of the models you build, would you use the wrong tools and end up with all that time spent only to end up with junk?

You don't half-* any of your models, you use the correct tools, and you get the the great results you're after.

Punches that are not right, screwdrivers that dont fit, homemade "tools", 48oz framing hammer where a 12oz brass/nylon mallet should be used, all add up to a waste of time & money...and a crappy looking gun..USE THE RIGHT TOOLS!

Even if it takes awhile longer to obtain the CORRECT tools for the builds, the wait will be well worth it, in the end your guns will look good and be correct, and you will be proud of what you've accomplished.

Good for you on the builds...[^]

I do have that mallet and a heavy duty bench vise and ive got more than 50 punches of assorted sizes but I will definitely be buying one of those armorer wrenches.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't try to wing it on the receiver clamp block by trying to make something out of wood or you'll destroy the receiver.
    If the barrel has the nut attached, it's already headspaced.
    I wouldn't dignify getting an AR together by using the term "build".
    Assembly is more appropriate unless you're gonna make some parts.