In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Inevitable Some of Them May Die Within Weeks

beneteaubeneteau Member Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭
edited March 2011 in General Discussion
I'm praying for these brave young men

Workers at the disaster-stricken Fukushima nuclear plant in Japan say they expect to die from radiation sickness as a result of their efforts to bring the reactors under control, the mother of one of the men tells Fox News.

The so-called Fukushima 50, the team of brave plant workers struggling to prevent a meltdown to four reactors critically damaged by the March 11 earthquake and tsunami, are being repeatedly exposed to dangerously high radioactive levels as they attempt to bring vital cooling systems back online.

Speaking tearfully through an interpreter by phone, the mother of a 32-year-old worker said: "My son and his colleagues have discussed it at length and they have committed themselves to die if necessary to save the nation.

"He told me they have accepted they will all probably die from radiation sickness in the short term or cancer in the long-term."
0M9InwN.gif[

Comments

• Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    [V]That is very sad. These men will be honored as heros in their country for a good reason.
  • Options
    Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You are of course correct ... don't know there is anything that anyone can do for them ... but to think of them and their accepting the challenge with dedication and self-sacrifice.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,241 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They are heroic young men. What a sacrifice.

As for the women's libbers, where are all the female workers who risked their lives?
    Same as 9/11, three hundred forty three firemen died in the Twin Towers, no females reported for firefighting duty that day.
  • Options
    River RatRiver Rat Member Posts: 9,022
    edited November -1
    This given us a look into the mindset of the Japanese. Glad they're on our side.
  • Options
    twototootwototoo Member Posts: 148 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    but what about pearl harbor [8D]
  • Options
    HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    It is an Awful way to go. The lining of the Intestines dies. No longer absorbs Nutrients.

Kills the Bone Marrow, where Blood is made. Osygen exchange goes bad.

Very Sad.
  • Options
    riflemikeriflemike Member Posts: 10,599
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by twototoo
    but what about pearl harbor [8D]

THINK they got their payback for that Dont you??? So do you still want revenge???
  • Options
    godalejrgodalejr Member Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    that is the true meaning of the term hero. very sad[V]
  • Options
    MVPMVP Member Posts: 25,074
    edited November -1
    Very selfless of those workers to pay the ultimate sacrifice for the good of their nation, and possibly the world.
    I read that they were being compensated with a huge paycheck and then found out that it is only 700.00 per day to work their last days on earth in the worst imaginable environment.
  • Options
    andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We gave them a pretty good payback, in kind, at Truk Lagoon. If you ever visit there it is the greatest wreck diving ever. There are Japanese ships all over that lagoon. I went for a week way back in the early 80's. Beautiful islands and lots of the wrecks are in scuba depth water.