In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

IRS

reload999reload999 Member Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭
edited April 2016 in General Discussion
I bet the IRS spent $10,000 to come up with this one

http://www.wlky.com/money/18404805/detail.html

DETROIT -- James Howarth has a question about small change for the IRS.

The Detroit defense attorney received a letter in November saying the government was due 5 cents. The Detroit Free Press reported Saturday that that Howarth was notified to pay "to avoid additional penalty and/or interest."

Howarth said a second letter told him he's due 4 cents, but he would have to request the refund since it's under $1.

Howarth said he's not sure whether there is connection between the nickel bill or the 4-cent refund. He's also not sure if he now owes the government a penny or if he's benefiting from a 9-cent swing.

IRS spokesman Luis D. Garcia said the agency doesn't comment on individual accounts.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I just received a recorded call from the IRS (from Indiana, no less), and the lady said a law suit was being filed against me! Oh, whatever must I do to fix this?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Just a matter of time.

image001-1_zps2afe2e2e.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I guess I should not say that since it was my mistake. I got a letter from them Friday that I owed $1500 from my 08 taxes. And they said I made a stock sale and did not include a 1099.

Well, I finally tracked it down and yes, I owe it. OK, I will get check off tomorrow since penalty and tax is going up by the millisecond.

Other good news is that tranny in my van is shot. At least $1500 there. Going to try and get it to shop tomorrow.

Now that adds up to (Yee gods) $3000. I don't have that much. All I have left is my tattered soul. Anyone want to buy my soul for 3 grand? I'm sure it is worth much more but I can negoiatate. Tom
  • Options
    edited November -1
    [:D]
    At the end of the tax year the IRS office sent an inspector to audit the books of a Synagogue. While he was checking the books he turned to the Rabbi and said , "I notice you buy a lot of candles. What do you do with the candle drippings?"

"Good question , " noted the Rabbi. "We save them up and send them back to the candle makers , and every now and then they send us a free box of candles."

"Oh , " replied the auditor , somewhat disappointed that his unusual question had a practical answer. But on he went , in his obnoxious way: "What about all these bread wafer purchases? What do you do with the crumbs?"

"Ah , yes , " replied the Rabbi , realizing that the inspector was trying to trap him with an unanswerable question. "We collect them and send them back to the manufacturer , and every now and then they send us a free box of bread-wafers. "

"I see , " replied the auditor , thinking hard about how he could fluster the know-it-all Rabbi. "Well , Rabbi , " he went on , "what do you do with all the leftover foreskins from the circumcisions you perform?"

"Here , too , we do not waste , " answered the Rabbi. "What we do is save all the foreskins and send them to the tax office , and about once a year they send us a complete dick."

[:D]
  • Options
    1FMJ1FMJ Member Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's a scam.<1FMJ>
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I think I knew that [:D]
  • Options
    Dads3040Dads3040 Member Posts: 13,552 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'll have my good friend the Nigerian Prince give them a call and straighten it out.
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,294 ******
    edited November -1
    I always wonder what they expect you to do. It's a recorded message, so you can't really respond to them. And were the legal action actually coming, no one in their right mind would do anything until they got written notice of it.[:I]
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can I send $5,000 in cash to your address in Indiana to pay my back taxes and avoid a trial?