In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Colt SAA

woodhogwoodhog Member Posts: 13,115 ✭✭
edited June 2014 in General Discussion
when did the Colt SAA start having black grips with the rampant colt?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Ive seen the free wheeling cylinder's on a couple of movies, Silverado and The Quick and the Dead. Is this Hollywood or is this a good action job? I know in the movie Q&D the cyl. Spins like its on ball bearings. Possible or not?
    JW
    Mine will only spin maybe two turns, nothing like those guns do.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I know . I'm going to post this on the experts advice forum as well ,but some one here may have the info that I need.
    I found a Colt SAA it is obviously older and has some holster wear and a couple tiny dings near the muzzle. It looks like it was worn in a holster that allowed the very end of the barrel to poke though the bottom.Mechanics are A1 as is everything from the above mentioned spot on back. The grips are black plastic? with the colt pony near the top and the american eagle on the lower sides. What should I be willing to pay? Its a 45 Colt ofcourse. I really want it too.

Big Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • Options
    ChrisInTempeChrisInTempe Member Posts: 15,562
    edited November -1
    Found this info in another forum:

"Hard rubber eagle grips were introduced in 1882, at serial number ~73,000. They continued until 1896, when the eagle-less grips were introduced at serial number ~163,000."

Found multiple such statements. Generally that wooden grips were standard first ten years, then a change to hard rubber began. By 1888 black hard rubber (Gutta Percha) became standard.