In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Para 1911 Expert Shoot'n Time

ChrisInTempeChrisInTempe Member Posts: 15,562
edited December 2014 in General Discussion
Took the new 1911 out to the desert this morning. After extensive testing I determined that if you stand 50 feet from a target, line sights up properly and squeeze the trigger steadily, holes appear in the black circle. Every time.

I believe that's a design feature of the 1911? Not sure about that part, seems to work that way.

Also some AR-15 time and SR9 9mm time. Just for variety. Out to about 150 yards with the AR.

The .223 and 9mm just bounced off my buddy's steel plate flippers. The .45ACP punched holes in them!

Oops!

Also some picking up other people's range brass time. Got in my bending, stooping, hand eye coordination exercise

Also who the heck left all that trash in the desert? Picking up beer bottles and crap and bagging it for a good hour today. Damn but there's some real pigs out there!

After the desert range time I dropped into Cabela's.

Cheapest .45 ACP ammo is $17.99/50 right now. Brass case, FMJ 230Gr. Herter's box but in S&B cartons.

.30-06 150Gr SP $13.99/20, same deal as the .45's.

Federal Auto Match .22LR, in 325 count boxes and Remington Cyclone in 500 count both at 6 cents per round. Right next to CCI Standard Velocity at 10 cents a round.

Wanted to look at how the Para 1911 Expert fit in various holsters, but you cannot do that without a friendly Cabela's Outfitter alongside all the way. They lock your gun, drop a flag in the barrel. To put it in a holster you need an "Outfitter" to manage the gun lock right at your side start to finish. Or grab a few holsters, get a number at the gun counter and wait to be called. Then ask to see the same model of gun as you own.

Too complicated, passed on looking at holsters.

On the whole, a good day. New gun shoots as well as I can shoot it (means it shoots better! than I can shoot it!). Picked up several hundred pieces of range brass plus what I shot myself. Added new .45ACP, .30-06, .22LR to my ammo closet.

Oh and the fellow I was out in the desert with had received a pile of ammo from a house his relations cleaned after renters skipped town. He kept some, gave me five boxes of 5.56! SWEET!

Apparently, they took their guns with them, forgot the ammo behind [:0]

Comments

• Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bang![:)]

TRP5_zps8e81406c.jpg
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Para3_zps546767cb.jpg

Para1_zpsef073503.jpg

With all the added weight of stainless steel, bigger gun overall, there's equal or possibly even less muzzle rise on this .45 ACP than my Ruger SR9 9mm!

Wasn't expecting that.

Additional shooting time will be required to nail this mystery down [:D]
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yea,...mine weighs 42 ounces IIRC.
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ChrisInTempe

Apparently, they took their guns with them, forgot the ammo behind [:0]

The drug dealers heard a raid was coming [B)][:D]
  • Options
    steve45steve45 Member Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Saw that add at Sportsmans Wherehouse, thats a nice looking pistol at a great price.quote:Originally posted by ChrisInTempe
    Para3_zps546767cb.jpg

Para1_zpsef073503.jpg

With all the added weight of stainless steel, bigger gun overall, there's equal or possibly even less muzzle rise on this .45 ACP than my Ruger SR9 9mm!

Wasn't expecting that.

Additional shooting time will be required to nail this mystery down [:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    $299 after rebate was just too strong a draw to ignore.

The scene at Sportsman's Warehouse was disorganized, but not violent or "Walmart Tsunami" scale. Had some words with the store manager the next day about how they handled the gun buying crowd. Hoping next year they will walk the line outside before opening the doors, hand out number sot gun counter customers. That will diffuse the bum-rush scene of people waiting in their cars who stormed the doors and ran ahead of the line at opening time.

The other thing was letting people buy as many of a model as they wanted. Saw a guy with five Para's and four Bushmasters in a shopping cart. That screws all those people who waited in line, not cool.

Oh well, good gun, good shooter, glad I got mine [:D]