In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Winter of Discontent

pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
edited February 2014 in General Discussion

Comments

• woodshed87woodshed87 Member Posts: 25,785
    edited November -1
    Watcha Got there Willie a Russian Flag [;)]
  • pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by woodshed87
    Watcha Got there Willie a Russian Flag [;)]
    Which one?
  • fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    you call that winter?
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fordsix
    you call that winter?
    Yes,in "Dixie"
  • CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pwillie
    you call that winter?
    Yes,in "Dixie"

I was in Middle Florida most of the week and it was in the 80s and of course I had packed for the 65 degree weather forecast. Tuesday by noon it was smoking hot and we put the dogs back in the Polaris and headed back to the ranch house. Had a little lunch and spent the rest of the day by the pool. Driving home to Atlanta we sadly watched the temp drop every hundred miles or so until it was 40 when we got home. [V]

I'll spend most of the weekend cutting and packaging the 3 sows we kept. The quail are already froze. [:p]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CaptFun
    you call that winter?
    Yes,in "Dixie"

I was in Middle Florida most of the week and it was in the 80s and of course I had packed for the 65 degree weather forecast. Tuesday by noon it was smoking hot and we put the dogs back in the Polaris and headed back to the ranch house. Had a little lunch and spent the rest of the day by the pool. Driving home to Atlanta we sadly watched the temp drop every hundred miles or so until it was 40 when we got home. [V]

I'll spend most of the weekend cutting and packaging the 3 sows we kept. The quail are already froze. [:p]
    So, where were you hunting? I have hunted quail in Thomasville...My box provider had a membership @ a Quail Club..
    edited November -1
    So, where were you hunting? I have hunted quail in Thomasville...My box provider had a membership @ a Quail Club..
    Quail was almost to Fort Myers, Hogs were near Lake Placid both days and we stopped at a several ranges along the way to try out what they had to offer. Ended up doing 5 stand, trap and some pistol down near Lake Okeechobee and Sporting Clays back closer to Lake Placid. All in all an awesome trip (except the truck race Friday night, both our trucks got wrecked)
    edited November -1
    Quail was almost to Fort Myers, Hogs were near Lake Placid both days and we stopped at a several ranges along the way to try out what they had to offer. Ended up doing 5 stand, trap and some pistol down near Lake Okeechobee and Sporting Clays back closer to Lake Placid. All in all an awesome trip (except the truck race Friday night, both our trucks got wrecked)
    Good for you! I saw one of your trucks wreck...Didn't think the 24 truck wrecked....We have a dirt track not far from Spanish Fort. I love to watch those mechanics work on and race their cars....
    edited November -1
    Good for you! I saw one of your trucks wreck...Didn't think the 24 truck wrecked....We have a dirt track not far from Spanish Fort. I love to watch those mechanics work on and race their cars....

I'm actually kinda upset about the situation here. Down in Okeechobee there were 2 really nice ranges within 2 miles of each other and several others close by. And looking as we were driving there were lots more (the weather was not cooperating on the drive down or the drive back so we had to bypass them). Here there are no options for shotgun sports inside an hour+ drive from the office. Lots of indoor ranges with paper targets but very few options for long range rifle or steel target pistol unless you join a high $ club or own lots of property.
  • saserbysaserby Member Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Capt,
    What do they get for out of state licenses and tags for those hunts? I may be going down that way in May. Would it bee too late to try to get a quail hunt?
    edited November -1
    Capt. my son lives in Roswell,and he would love to be able to shoot his deer rifles,but he waits comes down here,and we go to "Styx River" shooting range 15 miles west of Spanis Fort. They have outdoor pistol and rifle range up to 200 yds...we also have two other ranges next to the Ms. line(about 30 miles to the west) that have 1000yd ranges,and teach Law enforcement weapon handling. Retired Army Col.runs it.http://www.styxrivershootingcenter.com/
    edited November -1
    Capt. my son lives in Roswell,and he would love to be able to shoot his deer rifles,but he waits comes down here,and we go to "Styx River" shooting range 15 miles west of Spanis Fort. They have outdoor pistol and rifle range up to 200 yds...we also have two other ranges next to the Ms. line(about 30 miles to the west) that have 1000yd ranges,and teach Law enforcement weapon handling. Retired Army Col.runs it.http://www.styxrivershootingcenter.com/

I'm looking into some private facilities up here. Seems to be the only good stuff near here. I did talk to some folks that have a really nice facility half way between you and me that looks good, but I need to vet them out a bit more.
  • ChrisInTempeChrisInTempe Member Posts: 15,562
    edited November -1