In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

The only improvement in the last 40 years

torosapotorosapo Member Posts: 4,946
edited March 2013 in General Discussion
It has become my opinoin that the only improvement in automobiles in the last 40 years, is the disc brakes. Sure there has been luxuaries and cosmetics added. But the basic car has not improved.

In 1973 my sister drove a 4000+ lb car that got around 25 mpg hgwy.
How many vehicles today can do that. In the 90's I drove an old beater 3/4 ton Chevy van, got around 15 mpg, my 1994 Chrysler gets the same.

Yeah I know, electronic ignition gives more dependable and more consistant spark, they had that in 1973.

Comments

• Options
    00buck00buck Member Posts: 718 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Air bags! They probably wouldn't be needed if your car wasn't made out of plastic!![:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yeah they put air bags in because they quit using steel, now you have to put the kids in back.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    The reason the gas mileage is so bad Is the CORN ethanol . I have a car that will go the same miles on 9 gallons of Real gas as 10 gallons of the crap most stations sell.
  • Options
    JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My dad says the 77 chevy 2500 with a 454 got 12 miles to the gal just like the 2012 chevy 2500 with a 6.0l and the only difference is the 2012 cost $45K MORE than the 77 and has less pulling power and take off speed.

All the technology, fancy bs, this and that. And the only thing all this eps bs was about was pushing up the cost of the vehicles.

Hey Perry, you are right. I get a full 1/2 mpg better mileage if I can fill up with the real stuff.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    You are only talking one gal difference. My van has a 318 with an overdrive auto tranny, the Chevy had a 350 with a 350 turbo 3 spd auto tranny.
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    Fuel Injection and better engine Management systems(Computer) Sure they are hard to work on but do they ever make better Power.
  • Options
    LaidbackDanLaidbackDan Member Posts: 13,143 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cup Holders, we've surpassed our grandparents wildest dreams in cup holders.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by grumpygy
    Fuel Injection and better engine Management systems(Computer) Sure they are hard to work on but do they ever make better Power.

Oh yeah, you can work on them, if you have the computerized equipment an books to tell you what the codes are. The 1970 Chevy truck I'm looking at has 3 wires and one fuel line. The fuel pump is on the engine, not in the tank. Most work can be done with a crescent wrench, pliers and 2 screwdrivers, alongside the road.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by torosapo

Oh yeah, you can work on them, if you have the computerized equipment an books to tell you what the codes are. The 1970 Chevy truck I'm looking at has 3 wires and one fuel line. The fuel pump is on the engine, not in the tank. Most work can be done with a crescent wrench, pliers and 2 screwdrivers, alongside the road.

Suggest changing the Fuel pump to Electric in Line Just After the Line leaves the tank. Get stuck in the summer and have the underside heat build up get Vapor Lock. That gets to be a pain.
  • Options
    leadlead Member Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was in a gas station recently that also was a Studebaker repair shop. He had ads framed all over the shop from the 50's and early 60's. I saw at least 2 ads for 50's vehicles that advertised getting 25mpg. I thought about the steel and chrome in those cars, most likely a 6 cylinder engine too, and then thought about what we have today and came to the same conclusion, we really haven't improved that much where it really matters, except for those cup holders of course.
  • Options
    bartman45bartman45 Member Posts: 3,008 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I miss my '68 & '74 VW bugs.........
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,834 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Interesting. I have no clue as to fuel economy of 40 years ago in cars but it seems to have been sufficient for peoples needs back then.

I think Radial tires became mainstream in the last 40 years.

Now if you look at motorcycles from 40 years ago to motorcycles of today- Every bike out there is far superior to their predecessor, EXCEPT Harley Davidson...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Dave going from bias ply to radial equates going from tubed to tubless. It really didn't make the car better mechanicly.
  • Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I worked as a mechanic in a gas station as a teenager. It was 1967 to about 1974. We did tune-ups on cars every 10,000 to 15,000 miles, At 100,000 miles almost all motors were ready for a valve-job, {most odometers didn't even go past 99,999 miles} , Drum brakes lasted for 25,000, Exhaust systems lasted for 3 years. And most of our customers came in during September so we could put their snow tires on.
    Yea, not many improvements...... [;)][;)][;)]
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    I can think of a few individual features that have improved cars, but their overall engineering quality has improved dramatically.

Back in the mid-70's most any car you saw with over 100,000 miles on it was ready for the scrap yard, with most not even making it that far. This was a factory acknowledged fact of life, with odometer designs topping out at 120k.

Nowadays it's not uncommon at all to see cars with over twice this number of miles still rolling strong.
  • Options
    Blade SlingerBlade Slinger Member Posts: 5,891
    edited November -1
    I owned a few bugs in my days,one a 66 had no gas gauge,I would run out of gas every month forgetting to gas up.[:D]

quote:Originally posted by bartman45
  • Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    Rust protection
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,358 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cartod
    Rust protection
    That's for dang sure, they got a pretty good handle on that finally.
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Dave W.

Now if you look at motorcycles from 40 years ago to motorcycles of today- Every bike out there is far superior to their predecessor, EXCEPT Harley Davidson...

Your kidding right?

My 06 vrod is fuel enjected and liquid cooled, 100, 000 is break in on these
  • Options
    kabarkabar Member Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a 56 Ford Crown Victoria with a 351 Windsor all worked over & I get around 25 mpg highway with it. You tune them right & gear them right & it makes a big difference.
  • Options
    rossowmnrossowmn Member Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I still have the '57 Chevy coupe I bought back in the mid-'70s, and when I drove it as my regular transportation it would get around $25 mpg on the highway with a four-barrel and three speed. Now I drive a 2008 four-banger that I have to nurse along to get 25 or 26 highway mpg. (Yeah, I know, the '57 doesn't have PB/PS/PW/PL/PMS, etc., but still....)
  • Options
    rossowmnrossowmn Member Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I still have the '57 Chevy coupe I bought back in the mid-'70s, and when I drove it as my regular transportation it would get around $25 mpg on the highway with a four-barrel and three speed. Now I drive a 2008 four-banger that I have to nurse along to get 25 or 26 highway mpg. (Yeah, I know, the '57 doesn't have PB/PS/PW/PL/PMS, etc., but still....)
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by LaidbackDan
    Cup Holders, we've surpassed our grandparents wildest dreams in cup holders.

Yeah, I lost count at about 84 and that is just in front.

today's cars do self destruct instead of what is inside self destructing on all that steel. At least that is the sales pitch, I don't believe I have seen any stats on survival rates now compared to then. I know I would rather hit todays dashboards than 50's dash boards of steel.

And don't discount all the luxuries, I deserve 'em.[^]
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,275 ******
    edited November -1
    The 195 Chevy 283 was fuel injected.[:I]
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mr. Perfect

But compared to today's standards it was not very efficient.
  • Options
    gesshotsgesshots Member Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My '69 Buick Electra with a 430 CID engine, 4bbl. carb and 4300 lb. curb weight got 25+ mpg on the highway and 17-18 mpg in town.

Most of todays 4 and 6 cylinders only wish they could do so well!

Very comfortable too. [;)][^][:D]
    It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't. ~ J.B. Books
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,275 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mr. Perfect

But compared to today's standards it was not very efficient.
    Slight improvement at best. The only real improvements I've noticed are the suspension systems. Old cars just don't handle as well.
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gesshots
    My '69 Buick Electra with a 430 CID engine, 4bbl. carb and 4300 lb. curb weight got 25+ mpg on the highway and 17-18 mpg in town.

Most of todays 4 and 6 cylinders only wish they could do so well!That duece-and-a-quarter going 150-200k miles with only minor maintenance was also only a wish.

With today's cars no less should be expected.
  • Options
    catpealer111catpealer111 Member Posts: 10,695
    edited November -1
    Fuel Injection, modern oil, hardened valve seats, radial tyres, low profile tires, aerodynamics, electronic ignition....

New cars are miles better than old. I had my share of carbureted vehicles in the past and I tell you, I will take an fuelie over a carb any day. I always hated having to tinker with fuel systems and ignition systems all weekend just so I could drive it during the week.
  • Options
    catpealer111catpealer111 Member Posts: 10,695
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by us55840
    quote:Originally posted by Horse Plains Drifter
    Rust protection

They had no choice. Before the early 90's, cars had real steel in them and body shops could fix body damage. Today with tin foil fenders, body shops only replace parts.

[:(]

That is also why modern cars are safer. The structure is designed to absorb energy. The old, solid cars didn't have any "give" and just transferred the impact energy to the fleshy bits on the inside.

Edit:

Chances are that your modern 4 banger is getting poor (relatively) gas millage because it is tuned (ECU) for lowest emissions instead of peak millage. It's a trade off with smaller engines when it comes to gas millage, emissions, and power.
  • Options
    gesshotsgesshots Member Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Txs
    quote:Originally posted by gesshots

Most of todays 4 and 6 cylinders only wish they could do so well!That duece-and-a-quarter going 150-200k miles with only minor maintenance was also only a wish.

With today's cars no less should be expected.

Still going strong at 123K when she was trashed by a rear ender.
    Only repairs a fuel pump, oil pump and radiator. [^]
    It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't. ~ J.B. Books
  • Options
    llamallama Member Posts: 2,637 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Disc brakes are more than 40 years old...

First production car with all 4 having discs was the Porsche 356C and SC, first rolled off the assembly line in late '63 and sold as '64 model year. The 356B from mid '62 thru end of production in '63 had discs up front and drums in rear.

It has become my opinoin that the only improvement in automobiles in the last 40 years, is the disc brakes. Sure there has been luxuaries and cosmetics added. But the basic car has not improved.

How many vehicles today can do that. In the 90's I drove an old beater 3/4 ton Chevy van, got around 15 mpg, my 1994 Chrysler gets the same.

Yeah I know, electronic ignition gives more dependable and more consistant spark, they had that in 1973.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Horse Plains Drifter
    Rust protection

Another Porsche process... galvanized steel bodies started in '74 or 75 IRRC
  • Options
    mlincolnmlincoln Member Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Now you're exactly right! In fact, so many things haven't improved over the years! Back in 1962 I have a 12 shot Smith revolver that could print 1 inch groups at 400 yards shooting one handed while I held a beer in the other hand and while I was smoking a cigarette. I have a pocket knife so sharp I once cut down a 36 inch red oak in one swipe. Every girl I dated in high school went on to be a Playboy playmate and I killed 34,000,000 Viet Cong in one year in southeast Asia!

Saying cars haven't improved in 40 years is an astoundingly stupid statement. If you asked me to sit and think of one thing that HASN'T improved on cars in the past 40 years, I'd have trouble doing so.

Could you please name that 1973 4,000 car that got 25 miles to the gallon? Did perhaps quite a few of those miles come as she was rolling down Pike's Peak? Yes, the 1994 Chrysler mini-van with a 6 cylinder got 15 mpg, but the 2012 mini-van with a 6 cylinder gets 17. Oh, and BTW, the 1994 produced 150 horsepower while the 2012 produced 197. But that's no improvement, is it?

And two things to note about miles per gallon: In 1975 when the government required catalytic converters this was a massive DISADVANTAGE to gas mileage. The fact that gas mileage has increased despite this is a testament to the hard work of many automotive engineers. And if you're pissing and moaning about gas mileage, you might want to remember that it's that horrible, rotten, bad federal government and its CAFE regulations that made the automakers really work to get cars with better gas mileage. Oh, that and the Japanese producing much better cars that were more reliable and got much better miles per gallon. But then again, under your whole "Cars have never gotten better" hypothesis that didn't happen either.

Safety equipment, emissions, crumple zones, engines with much tighter tolerances, reliability, aerodynamics, handling, fit and finish, horsepower, comfort, paint quality--anybody who knows jack squat about cars knows there's light years of difference between the cars of 1973 and 2013.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 1911a1fan
    quote:Originally posted by Dave W.

Your kidding right?

My 06 vrod is fuel enjected and liquid cooled, 100, 000 is break in on these

This is turning into a theme... the vrod engine was designed by Porsche
  • Options
    bartman45bartman45 Member Posts: 3,008 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by SLING BLADE

I owned a few bugs in my days,one a 66 had no gas gauge,I would run out of gas every month forgetting to gas up.[:D]

quote:Originally posted by bartman45

I thought some of the gauge less VW's had a screw valve that opened a small fuel reserve. Often toyed with the idea of getting a VW of that era; however,prices seem to start at about $5K and go way up.
  • Options
    iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Common on production cars today: Aluminum blocks and heads, forged cranks, plastic intake manifolds, cold air induction, stainless steel exhausts, direct injection, variable valve timing, variable displacement (8-6-4), five star crash rating, hypereutectic pistons, barrel shaped pistols that seal better when hot, twin cams, four valves per cylinder, anti lock brakes, just to name a few.

quote:Originally posted by catpealer111
    Fuel Injection, modern oil, hardened valve seats, radial tyres, low profile tires, aerodynamics, electronic ignition....

New cars are miles better than old. I had my share of carbureted vehicles in the past and I tell you, I will take an fuelie over a carb any day. I always hated having to tinker with fuel systems and ignition systems all weekend just so I could drive it during the week.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by catpealer111

That is also why modern cars are safer. The structure is designed to absorb energy. The old, solid cars didn't have any "give" and just transferred the impact energy to the fleshy bits on the inside.Yep.

People look at a torn up car from what seemed to be a minor crash and walk away spouting how it was a cheaply built POS, but those engineered crumple zones are really a very good thing. I've seen hoods and trunk lids become guillotines from crashes that today would be nothing more than a serious inconvenience.

I'd MUCH rather deal with repair/replacement of sheet metal and plastic than having a family member injured or killed. That's just money and there'll always be more out there.
  • Options
    Removed at users request.Removed at users request. Member Posts: 3,027
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mlincoln

Now you're exactly right! In fact, so many things haven't improved over the years! Back in 1962 I have a 12 shot Smith revolver that could print 1 inch groups at 400 yards shooting one handed while I held a beer in the other hand and while I was smoking a cigarette. I have a pocket knife so sharp I once cut down a 36 inch red oak in one swipe. Every girl I dated in high school went on to be a Playboy playmate and I killed 34,000,000 Viet Cong in one year in southeast Asia!

Saying cars haven't improved in 40 years is an astoundingly stupid statement. If you asked me to sit and think of one thing that HASN'T improved on cars in the past 40 years, I'd have trouble doing so.

Could you please name that 1973 4,000 car that got 25 miles to the gallon? Did perhaps quite a few of those miles come as she was rolling down Pike's Peak? Yes, the 1994 Chrysler mini-van with a 6 cylinder got 15 mpg, but the 2012 mini-van with a 6 cylinder gets 17. Oh, and BTW, the 1994 produced 150 horsepower while the 2012 produced 197. But that's no improvement, is it?

And two things to note about miles per gallon: In 1975 when the government required catalytic converters this was a massive DISADVANTAGE to gas mileage. The fact that gas mileage has increased despite this is a testament to the hard work of many automotive engineers. And if you're pissing and moaning about gas mileage, you might want to remember that it's that horrible, rotten, bad federal government and its CAFE regulations that made the automakers really work to get cars with better gas mileage. Oh, that and the Japanese producing much better cars that were more reliable and got much better miles per gallon. But then again, under your whole "Cars have never gotten better" hypothesis that didn't happen either.

Safety equipment, emissions, crumple zones, engines with much tighter tolerances, reliability, aerodynamics, handling, fit and finish, horsepower, comfort, paint quality--anybody who knows jack squat about cars knows there's light years of difference between the cars of 1973 and 2013.

You seem to have your opinion, he has his. Good bet he thinks yours is stupid as well.
  • Options
    jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,206 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe the oil that goes in them has improved a lot in 40 years. Vehicles will go 300000+ miles with not much blow-by now and 40 years ago maybe 100000 miles.