In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Static Electricity

JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,174 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2011 in General Discussion
Can a bullet be set off by a static charge when reaching to pick up by hand ?

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Been biter cold and clear here for weeks. I've been picking up a static charge and discharging it from my fingertips twenty times a day. My dog is now running when I call her, I think I've zapped her a few to many times with a hello pet. I watched a one inch spark jump from my fingertip to my dogs nose today. I actually killed a USB stick yesterday.

Anybody have an idea on how to deal with it?

I'm thinking maybe rubbing my hands in dryer anti static sheet might help? I don't want to waste the bucks, if they are useless, just one more thing that will make onto a shelf and stay there for years.

Anything at the electronics store, maybe a spray for your hands or something?

• Options
    RogueStatesmanRogueStatesman Member Posts: 5,760
    edited November -1
    I've never seen or heard of that happening, but I guess in this world we live in, ANYTHING is possible.

But I'd say the chance of that happening is about as great as dying after being bit by a monarch butterfly.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The reason I ask is my brother just called and said he dropped a .38 bullet on the floor(carpet) and as he walked over to pick it up POP. He said it did'nt hurt bad, just a flash, and powder burn on his finger tips. I thought he was joking but he swears it happened, I'm still not so sure, he's been know to pull a few on me but he did sound sincere.

• Options
    LaidbackDanLaidbackDan Member Posts: 13,143 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, I know that rubbing your feet vigorously on a carpet and then jumping into a bathtub with someone will not electrocute them but it sure will piss them off.

I'm not sure about the bullet thing.
  • Options
    JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    im gonna say no way. you might set it off if you put it in a light socked and flipped the switch. But static ele?
  • Options
    tccoxtccox Member Posts: 7,379 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm gonna say that yes, it can really happen. Anything that can cause a spark can set about anything off. If the spark happens inside the shell, can certainly set the powder off.

Why do airplanes use grounding wire while refueling?? To keep from setting the gas off. Why use grounding wristbands while using sensitive electronics, to keep from frying them. Same principal. Tom
  • Options
    GRIZZLY17GRIZZLY17 Member Posts: 1,676
    edited November -1
    Nope... spark would travel from finger to casing then trough the brass(or steel) to ground. It would not jump across inside and ignite the powder.
  • Options
    HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    Nope - Hall Effect Rules here - Any Charge would travel around the surface, due to all electrons being same charge - "Likes repel, Opposites attract". Up until the instantaneous Flow of current was so large (Bolt of Lightning Level) that there was significant heating of the metal, or Just before the metal was vaporized, there would not be any way to directly ignite the powder, nor activate the primer chemistry.

Your Bro is pulling yer leg!
  • Options
    ofitgofitg Member Posts: 359 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The metal components of the cartridge should form a perfect Farady Cage around the powder. Inside the Farady Cage, the electric field would be uniform, and no current would flow.
  • Options
    reload999reload999 Member Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Junkballer
    Can a bullet be set off by a static charge when reaching to pick up by hand ?
    A bullet, no. [;)] A cartridge? ...seems most unlikely, but who knows?
  • Options
    LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The dog is dragging his butt around on the capet now. When he gets done I will throw him a few rounds and get back to you with the results.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Just got off the phone again and he swears it happened and now I'm beginning to believe him. I also forgot until he reminded me, that when we were younger he had to be careful and not touch the contacts when picking up flash cubes/bulbs for camera's, doing so he'd make them flash and burn his fingers. [?]

• Options
    RosieRosie Member Posts: 14,525 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A lot of people don't know that when you get a static charge built up on you it is on the out side of your body not inside.
  • Options
    11BravoCrunchie11BravoCrunchie Member Posts: 33,423 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I heard of an idiot who took a .50 BMG round and hit the primer with a rock while he was holding it in his hand. Guess he got 3rd degree burns on the hand that was holding the round.
  • Options
    RogueStatesmanRogueStatesman Member Posts: 5,760
    edited November -1
    I didn't know this! Gonna have to try that to pass along a 'shocking' experience.[;)]

quote:Originally posted by LaidbackDan
    Well, I know that rubbing your feet vigorously on a carpet and then jumping into a bathtub with someone will not electrocute them but it sure will piss them off.

I'm not sure about the bullet thing.
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,260 ******
    edited November -1
    I always have a little fun with my wife when she's using her ion hair dryer... [:D]
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Just got home from my brothers and here's the deal. The primer came out upon ignigtion and kinda sent a rocket trail of burning powder onto his fingers and inside his hand, primer embedded in the palm, which he pull out himself. The casing and lead stayed attached while the bullet sped across the room like fireworks( the primer end is burned ), all this was vouched for by my niece and her spend the night freind who wittnessed this event. This is new factory ammo (foriegn made), brother does'nt reload or even know what a reloader is. No lasting damage to hand.

• Options
    4627046270 Member Posts: 12,627
    edited November -1
    would say no, now the M61A1 gatlin gun that is in our aircraft uses
    electrical fired bullets, I remember one gun that uses electrical fired bullet, cant remember the manufacture, but I think those are the only ones that have a chance. we have to ground ourselves when we handle the 20mm rounds to prevent accidental discharge.
  • Options
    danielgagedanielgage Member Posts: 10,474 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by LesWVa
    The dog is dragging his butt around on the capet now. When he gets done I will throw him a few rounds and get back to you with the results.

[:D][:D][:D]