In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Painted An Old Ford Pick Up

buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,242 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2016 in General Discussion
One of my buddies has a early 70s Ford pick up that is just a on going project.The paint looked pretty bad on it,so he wanted me to help him paint it,and I am not a painter or body man.We took off all the trim,bumpers and grill and sanded everything else.When the owner priced paint at the supply house he decided to go to Lowes and bought Rustoleum rusty metal primer and Rustoleum top coat.He bought enamel hardner at Tractor Supply.We primed it with the rustoleum,pushed it out in the sun for a couple of days,went over the primer with 320 paper and put the top coat on,rustoleum with hardner and the paint job looks great.All this was done with a Harbor Freight compressor and a $10 Harbor Freight HVLP gun.This was still a lot of work and maybe 150 bucks in paint.I would think somebody on here has painted a vehicle with Rustoleum and how is this paint job going to hold up over the years?

Comments

• asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Adding the catalyst (hardener) will help longevity, but not ten years worth.
    Giving it an enamel clear coat w/catalyst will go a long way to increase durability.
  • GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    I guess it's better than using a paint brush or roller. Here in WV, both are preferred.
  • Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,541 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    good for you , nothing wrong with the cheep way [:D] its not going to a show and I am sure looks better and also that goes a long way from getting unwanted attention from the LEO when they see a Junker ? going down the road ( at least my experience )

I have pained a few ( dozen or so )cars and trucks over the years ( self taught and really suck but that's how you learn look ok but not world class [:D][:D][B)][B)] )
    for my younger brother ( RIP ) my dad ( RIP ) and I went together bought him a Vega from a co-worker as his first car .
    a week later my brother stopped by a yard sale bought a box full of rustoluim paint we mixed it all together got some reducer and had at it ( it turned out like a petty blue for you old NASCAR fans ) 25.00 in paint total , I had the sandpaper and tools . it was a 10 foot car but served him well
  • gjshawgjshaw Member Posts: 14,697 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I painted an old horse trailer with the rustoleum paint. It was white and it sat outside in ny weather for 10 years before I moved south and it still shines if you give it a bath to get the green alge off. Good paint.
  • wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like rustoleum and have good results over the years with it. It goes on good and has good durability. 2nd to none for rust prevention

Sounds like you did the good prep which makes all the difference.[8]
    "What is truth?'
  • topdadtopdad Member Posts: 3,408 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I worked on the ranch, I painted quite a few of the farm trucks and equipment with rustoleum. The hardener is the trick, it's very slow to cure without it but it will cure to a very durable finish even without the hardener. We painted some with auto enamel, it may have looked a little better (not a lot)but in some cases didn't hold up nearly as well.[:)]
  • JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,172 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I painted my 31' Ford Model A with Rustoleum (glossy black) and it looked great, apparently the new owner thought so too, it won awards at shows he put it in [;)].

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee