In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Catalytic converter

jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,649 ******
edited August 2018 in General Discussion
What are the symptoms of a defective one. My daughters CRV has a check engine light. Auto Zone told her it was the catalytic converter. She says the car has no power at highway speed, but three times I?ve drove it, it seems fine.

Comments

• Options
    kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do you have an infrared thermometer? If so one of the best tell tale signs is the temperature difference in front of and behind the catalytic converter. Just be sure to take the actual temp of the exhaust pipes and not heat shields or something that may give an erroneous reading.
  • Options
    redneckandyredneckandy Member Posts: 9,685 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How many miles are on it and what codes were pulled?

A plugged cat will cause a loss of power.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I wasn?t present when the code were pulled. It has 158 k miles. Good idea to check temperatures, we?ll try that tomorrow. The thing is, it seems to to run fine when I drive it.
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    Need the code they pulled. Had a Cat break lose inside of the housing in my Jeep. Would run fine for days they while up to speed would bog out happened even on level ground.

Found out when I was looking over the jeep and could find nothing, got pissed and kicked the Converter. Heard it rattle.
  • Options
    ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,647 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I sold converters for 22 years so here?s some advice.

Find out what the code is. PO420/PO430 codes will only tell you the cat is working below the level of efficiency. It doesn?t always mean the cat is bad...sometimes there?s carbon buildup that coats the brick of the cat and keeps it from lighting off. The no power being intermittent can be caused by a cracked up brick that over time can break off in chunks and under power can move causing a partial blockage. If the brick melts it can render the car inoperable. If it?s just carbon buildup you can have the motor vacuum (hard core clean up that helps. Biggest help is regular oil changes. But something causes the cats to go bad. There?s no moving parts and they should last the life of a vehicle with proper maintenance. Other things like worn out O2 sensors can cause cat problems too. My wife drives a 1998 Honda CRV with the original cat.
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,555 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    if its bad it will set the code again on a short drive
    agree check the temperature is a good indicator and also just hook up a code reader while running
    if it helps aftermarket " cats " are inexpensive compared to a factory replacement
    I changed the one on a 2002 accord I bought my wife as a work car. and the 02 sensors same time . it was going into the "limp home mode" if driven as in run / but no pick up and lousy mileage
    the cat converter insides were in pieces . after changing it all out runs like a new one now
    by the way parts all came from rock auto
  • Options
    jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,206 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My 1998 5-speed Cr-v has 280k miles. At about the miles that one has on it I replaced both the upstream, downstream sensors and cat. I have not had anymore problems since. I got them on Ebay fairly inexpensive.

aZTvtq0.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Just be aware aftermarket cats by law do NOT have to have as much precious metal in them as a brand new cat like when the car was new. Many but not all aftermarket cat makers load their direct fit cats much closer to OEM than they do with universal fit cats(Universal cats must be welded or clamped on where most direct fits are bolt on. IMO I?d go with an engine cleaning, new O2 sensors and either a Magnaflow OEM grade converter or a AP Exhaut Select. The AP Select is an awesome cat but they are a little more expensive because they contain 40% more precious metal than most other brands. Also be aware not all States are the same when it comes to cats...ESPECIALLY California, Maine, New York. Those States cannot use EPA Standard cats. They use CARB legal (California Air Resource Board).
    Whatever you do, do not buy a CanAmEx/Thunderbolt converter, absolute garbage.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by us55840
    Take the 'catalytic converter' off and toss it.

Install a 'test tube' (piece of exhaust pipe) in it's place and you are good to go.

[8D]

Maybe pre 1993. Anything from 1994 on you cannot do that because of the computer and you?ll never get the check engine light to go off and you? may not know if something else is going wrong with the car. Not to mention the $2500 minimum Federal fine for tampering with an emissions device if caught ( I had a customer who did get caught and ended up with $45K in fines by the time the government was done with him and some his customers were gone after for knowingly having him do it.) And there are States that check to see if you have a functioning cat when they do an emissions test/safety check.
  • Options
    Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ruger41
    quote:Originally posted by us55840
    Take the 'catalytic converter' off and toss it.

Install a 'test tube' (piece of exhaust pipe) in it's place and you are good to go.

[8D]

Maybe pre 1993. Anything from 1994 on you cannot do that because of the computer and you?ll never get the check engine light to go off and you? may not know if something else is going wrong with the car. Not to mention the $2500 minimum Federal fine for tampering with an emissions device if caught ( I had a customer who did get caught and ended up with $45K in fines by the time the government was done with him and some his customers were gone after for knowingly having him do it.) And there are States that check to see if you have a functioning cat when they do an emissions test/safety check.

One of many reasons I left PA, thier emissions law in some ways is worse than CAs.

One of many reasons I chose Montana, what da heck is emissions comtrols?? Hell, what?s a vehicle inspection!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    We have no emissions check here in Central Washington but the Seattle side and Spokane have them. Some cities like Denver have emissions sensors at on ramps to freeways. Commiefornia has certain counties where they will pull you over and do a instant smog check (think dui checkpoint)..totally against the Constitution imo but that never stopped California before.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well, checked the delta T from to back of converter. Only 5 deg.
    Disconnected the battery and cleared the CEL.
    Drove it about 20 miles up and down hills, it ran great. I guess we?ll wait and see.
    No emissions test in Virginia, we don?t have no global warming around here.
  • Options
    pip5255pip5255 Member Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    use a cat cleaner they seem to help and no cheap gas brand only.
    just because you could doesn't mean you should
  • Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,176 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Easy check, drive vehicle a short distance (2-3) miles or until sluggish then stop, cut off engine and remove the oil dip stick, if exhaust/smoke spews out of the stick tube with pressure then it's the a catalytic failure.

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee