In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Savage refurb project.

jack scandiajack scandia Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
edited October 2010 in General Discussion
OK, Im ready to get going on my 24v-a 222/20ga refurb. any suggestions on metal stripping/prep and rebluing? Tips on wood redo appreciated also. Lots out there on the web but never used any so dont know whats good. Thanks. Might have to get replacement wood,any advice there?

Comments

• djh860djh860 Member Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    citri strip for wood. Leave it on overnight if you like and Navel jelly to strip barrels. Citri strip can be washed off with soap and water and a plastic scrubbing pad but when dry a final clean with paint thinner is a good idea While citri strip is active use stiff tooth brush in checkering. You can buy a 90 degree fine checkering tool at brownells to clean out remaining gunk from checkering once it drys. Rub barrels with steel wool or brass while jelly is still active. You may have to do barrels twice to clean. Then polish with Emory cloth.
    I use Vans instant blue to redo barrels.
  • jack scandiajack scandia Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanks, any advice for replacement wood?quote:Originally posted by djh860
    citri strip for wood. Leave it on overnight if you like and Navel jelly to strip barrels. Citri strip can be washed off with soap and water and a plastic scrubbing pad but when dry a final clean with paint thinner is a good idea While citri strip is active use stiff tooth brush in checkering. You can buy a 90 degree fine checkering tool at brownells to clean out remaining gunk from checkering once it drys. Rub barrels with steel wool or brass while jelly is still active. You may have to do barrels twice to clean. Then polish with Emory cloth.
    I use Vans instant blue to redo barrels.