In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Price on a Winchester Super Grade......

44pinshooter44pinshooter Member Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭
edited July 2015 in General Discussion
Am trying to figure out how much a Winchester Model 70, Super Grade, chambered for the .280 Remington cartridge is worth.
It is a Midway USA / Larry Potterfield, youth trap team fund raiser gun.
It was done in 2014. Midway charged the youth trap teams $1500.00.
There was only 500 made and there has never been a M70 in .280 Remington before and Winchester says they will not make another one.
My problem is a guy won one and needs a dollar amount for his insurance.
He has been all over the inter-net and says there are no prices any where. He believes that since he bought a $20.00 raffle ticket and people have told him it is worth $$$$$$$$$, he wants some one to write a letter for his insurance company.
I don't write appraisals for any one with out real numbers.
Guys got any ideas as to value ?????
Thanks for any help !!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    JMHO...

It is what it is, a post 64 winchester in a caliber that is not rare.
    {maybe by winchester's standards}.
    There are loads of The "1 of 1000" type of supergrades listed elsewhere from $1300 to $3500.
    Special editions/ commeminatives rarely are worth much more than the everyday models.
    If it was in something like .416 cal. the price goes up.
    As far as insurance, you set the price, don't you?? Tell em $5000, and hope they pay you off.

A brand new super grade sells all day for $1100 or so.

Here is a "special" one.

http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=491514745
  • Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is it just a standard super grade with nice wood and maybe a little engraving? If so I'd guess $1500 or so, maybe $2K on the high end. However, if it's full of gold inlay and fancy engraving it might add some value to it.
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Babun, Bob, gave you the best advice. I would go with it. His example is what I would feel this gun is worth. Oakie
  • Options
    gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by toad67
    Is it just a standard super grade with nice wood and maybe a little engraving? If so I'd guess $1500 or so, maybe $2K on the high end. However, if it's full of gold inlay and fancy engraving it might add some value to it.

My thoughts exactly.
  • Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    I'd pay LESS with Larry Potterfield on it......
  • Options
    44pinshooter44pinshooter Member Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by babun
    JMHO...

It is what it is, a post 64 winchester in a caliber that is not rare.
    {maybe by winchester's standards}.
    There are loads of The "1 of 1000" type of supergrades listed elsewhere from $1300 to $3500.
    Special editions/ commeminatives rarely are worth much more than the everyday models.
    If it was in something like .416 cal. the price goes up.
    As far as insurance, you set the price, don't you?? Tell em $5000, and hope they pay you off.

A brand new super grade sells all day for $1100 or so.

Here is a "special" one.

You are right where I am with what the gun is worth.
    You can pick any number you want, but at what price will some one open up their wallet?
    When I have to put my name on an appraisal, for lawyers or an insurance company, I need to be able to back up the numbers I use.
    If it is a new gun, replacement is where ever retail is at the time I write it up.
    Used guns or collectable guns, I go to this neat site, maybe you've heard of it, GunBroker. Look up what has SOLD. Say there are 6 of the same gun, in the condition of the one I need to value, the sold prices were $425.00 to $500.00. I average out what the 6 guns sold for and use that number as my replacement number, that this gun could be replaced for $465.00.
    Did a divorce a few years ago. Appraisal for the guys lawyer. He had just every day working guns. He was a hunter. No fancy guns, Ruger 10/22, Remington 700, Mossberg 500, stuff like that. I wrote it up that they could all be replaced for like $4000.00. I was dragged in to the mess, as the wife had some one do an appraisal for her ( based on what she told the guy with out him seeing them )and came up with $22,000.00 !!!!!!!
    When I could end up in court, a lawyers office or with an insurance company adjuster, I want numbers that I can back up.

I told the guy, I would write it up for replacement of what a current Super Grade can be bought for. The look on his face was like I had just kicked his dog. He believes that it is worth at least $10,000.00 or more. I ain't writing any thing for this guy.

Thank all of you for your thoughts on this. I all ready knew where I was going with it, just wanted / needed to hear that I was on the right track. THANKS guys !!!!!!!!

http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=491514745