In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Deer hunters

1FMJ1FMJ Member Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2015 in General Discussion
How many of us hunters eat the heat and liver,from the deer they bag.<1FMJ>

Comments

• 1FMJ1FMJ Member Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Next Friday is the best Solunar activity/hunting time
    of all the year.

Call in sick and go hunting [;)]
    edited November -1
    Two deer hunters were standing on a ridge near a highway on the

opening day of deer season. They both saw a trophy-class buck

meandering towards them. As the one hunter raised his gun to shoot,

a funeral procession came by slowly. The hunter lowered his gun,

took off his hat, and stood with his head bowed until the procession

had passed. Of course, by then, the deer was long gone. The other

hunter exclaimed "Wow! That was the most sportsman like act I've

ever seen!You allowed this trophy buck to escape while showing
    such compassion and kindness toward someone's dearly departed.

You are a great humanitarian and a shining example to sportsmen

throughout the world!" The first hunter nodded and said, "Well, we

were married for 42 years
    edited November -1
    Two hunters were dragging their dead deer back to the truck. A third hunter approachrd them, pulling his along too. "Hey, I don't want to tell you guys what to do, but I can tell you that it's much easier if you drag the deer in the other direction. Then the antlers won't dig into the ground."
    After the third hunter left, the two decided to try it. A little while later, one hunter said to the other, "You know that guy was right. This is a lot easier!" "Yeah," the other added, "but we're getting farther away from the truck!"

Chuck

If man thinks for one minute he understands women, he's timed it about right
  • RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have had both and they can be quite good if prepared right.
  • cranky2cranky2 Member Posts: 3,236 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    We do wife likes liver.
  • jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,195 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It does get hot, but I eat it.
  • LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Use to eat Deer Liver.. Not since finding a few with Fluke.

I am sure that proper cooking will kill Fluke and you will not have any problems. It's just the thought of one gnawing on the gut that kind of turns me against most liver.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I don't any land owner that lets me hunt I always give a Hind quarter to anyone that lets me hunt their land if I get a deer there The deer I got last week-end Belongs to a Heart Doc from INDIA I normally get a deer on his Farm each year. Last year he asked if I saved the liver I replied "NO" he asked me to save the liver and Heart . I took those along with the hind quarter to him at lunch time today . Now he tells me if I can He also wants the Tongue and kidneys [:0] My mother used to eat Pork Brains and SWEET-BREADS I think this is organ meet . and NO I don't eat Mountain Oysters either
  • Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,191 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by LesWVa

I am sure that proper cooking will kill Fluke and you will not have any problems. It's just the thought of one gnawing on the gut that kind of turns me against most liver.

Same here.
    The heart, usually not much left of it if I do my job right. [;)]
  • navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes. Just fry in butter and do not overcook. Fried onions with the liver is a plus.
  • 47studebaker47studebaker Member Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    wife cooks and pickles the heart and cuts it up for sandwiches, no to the liver.
  • 317wc317wc Member Posts: 924 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never tried the heart or liver. One time I did get to try moose bone marrow, it was the bomb.
  • notnownotnow Member Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm getting ready to make some deer liver scrapple. Cooked the liver the day after I shot it. I only use part of it. They're big. If I had shot through it I wouldn't use it. I use ham scraps too. Through a food processor then into the pot. I had the cooked liver in the freezer since I cooked it. I don't use the heart though. That's just too gross. I carry a ziplock bag in my hunting coat just for the liver.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I usually have at least one liver fried with onions but Grouch Attack doesn't like it and refused to cook it this year. Think I need to look for a different cook.
  • rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
    edited November -1
    I use to eat the liver years ago,
    but the "people in the know" have
    reported heavy metals in deer liver
    so we don't eat it anymore.
  • Gregor62Gregor62 Member Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nope. Tried them a few times, and can't really find a reason not to leave them with the rest of the innards.
  • mmppresmmppres Member Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i cook an eat both as long as they are from a youngen. the big old tought buck livers an hearts go to the dogs they love cooked liver an heart with there dry food. liver sliced thin an fried. heart same way.always looking for a recipe for pickled heart had it years ago but cant find the way to put it up. was always taught you shot it you eat it.
  • FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Chief Shaway
    quote:Originally posted by LesWVa

Same here.
    The heart, usually not much left of it if I do my job right. [;)]

Yep!

1103140938a_zpsaec59d74.jpg
    (http://forums.GunBroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=641140&SearchTerms=.270,AI,1st)
  • pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ....I got sick from eating the heart....no more...
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    The tongue is a very seldom eaten piece of venison...It is,IMHO the most beefy and flavorful cut.
    Delicious in tacos or cold,in sammiches.
    Their small but worth the work...
    Recipes on lingua preparation, on demand.
  • gjshawgjshaw Member Posts: 14,697 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I eat both if I cook them. Younger the better.
  • woodshed87woodshed87 Member Posts: 25,785
    edited November -1
    I leave the Innerds in the Woods
  • Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Heart and tongue but no liver.

I am with FK on the tongue it is worth the effort. Nothing beats a Taco lingua[:p]
    RLTW

• allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can't stand liver, whether from a cow or a deer. I am just about allergic to it, if I smell it it almost makes me sick.
    Don't much like heart either.

So the deer heart and liver get boiled up for 20 minutes to kill all the bugs, and then, given to the dogs. The love liver! Man, that deer liver has to be good for a doggie to eat.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never yet met a pathologist who would eat liver. Nor do I. Will eat other organs sometimes, but not from wild game.
  • 1BigGuy1BigGuy Member Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Offal, also called variety meats or organ meats, refers to the internal organs and entrails of a butchered animal. The word does not refer to a particular list of edible organs, which varies by culture and region, but includes most internal organs excluding muscle and bone. As an English mass noun, the term "offal" has no plural form. Some cultures shy away from offal as food, while others use it as everyday food, or in delicacies.

I think offal is awful and leave it for the coyotes.