In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Bowling League

Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
edited April 2017 in General Discussion
This year, for the first time since I was 12 years old, I entered into a bowling league. It is a fun league that my wife got both of us in. I bought us some cheap bowling balls and shoes a few years back, knowing we both enjoyed bowling. Well, we have definitely gotten plenty of use out of them now!

However, for the 2nd time in the past couple bowling nights, a 200 game has eluded my grasp! I threw a 199 a few weeks ago and a 197 tonight! My goals at the beginning of the year, were to bowl a 200 game and a 500 series. I know that neither of those are anything special, but they are personal goals I set for myself, knowing that they'd be hard to achieve, yet obtainable. We have 2 weeks left and I am going to accomplish at least one of those 2 goals! [:0]

Anybody else really enjoy bowling?

Jon

Comments

• Options
    remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes I enjoyed bowling, spent years since I went though.
  • Options
    tomh.tomh. Member Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bowled when I was a kid too. Never very good at it.
    I've bowled a few times socially since.
    But my right elbow just aches doing it.
    So I switched to lefty bowling. Man is that difficult!
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,478 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well good for you and if you ever need any tips I can help you out as I've been coaching at the high school level for 3 years now. I've been bowling for the last 50 years and as long as I can still hold onto a ball I will continue to do so.

On a side note a friend of mine who's 60 years old and hadn't bowled in some 25 years went out and bought a ball. I got him some decent shoes and a leather shammie to clean his ball with. He gets up nearly every morning and all he wants to do is bowl. I think I'm gonna drive up to Manitowoc and make it a day of bowling.

He called me up at 11:00 PM last night to tell me he had just came back from bowling and he bowled his highest game to date a 192.
    Apparently my wife didn't hear the phone ring or she would have had a fit having someone call the house that late to shoot the chit.

Just keep practicing and your goals will be met.
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    Try doing what I did the night I bowled to get my Handicap. Yep bowled my 1st 200+ ever. Have not bowled one since.[:D] I could have aimed for the gutter and would get a strike.
  • Options
    acdoddacdodd Member Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used to bowl a lot when I was in the Navy.
    We would go the bowling alley in Subic Bay because the bar stayed open.
    Odd frames were beer frames.
    Couldn't bowl now.
    Bad elbow.
    Went ice fishing with a guy that listened to a bowling tournament on an AM radio while freezing to death on Devils Lake North Dakota in Feb.
  • Options
    remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by grumpygy
    Try doing what I did the night I bowled to get my Handicap. Yep bowled my 1st 200+ ever. Have not bowled one since.[:D] I could have aimed for the gutter and would get a strike.

Aiming for the gutter is probably why you scored 200 [B)][:0][:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tomh.
    I bowled when I was a kid too. Never very good at it.
    I've bowled a few times socially since.
    But my right elbow just aches doing it.
    So I switched to lefty bowling. Man is that difficult!

I thought about giving that a shot for the heck of it. I can't do much "right" with my left hand, but for some reason I can throw bean bags real well lefty. Much just have a consistent throw that way or something.

Either way, that's good on you for making the switch to enjoy something. It presents a challenge for ones self too.

Jon
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by armilite
    Well good for you and if you ever need any tips I can help you out as I've been coaching at the high school level for 3 years now. I've been bowling for the last 50 years and as long as I can still hold onto a ball I will continue to do so.

On a side note a friend of mine who's 60 years old and hadn't bowled in some 25 years went out and bought a ball. I got him some decent shoes and a leather shammie to clean his ball with. He gets up nearly every morning and all he wants to do is bowl. I think I'm gonna drive up to Manitowoc and make it a day of bowling.

He called me up at 11:00 PM last night to tell me he had just came back from bowling and he bowled his highest game to date a 192.
    Apparently my wife didn't hear the phone ring or she would have had a fit having someone call the house that late to shoot the chit.

That is really cool. He was obviously quite excited. [8D]

I'm going to buy another ball here when league is done. Right now I just throw a straight ball with a slight right hook(not much). I am going to get the new one drilled for learning to throw a hook/curve. I spent $50 on the 1st one, so spending a bit more on a 2nd one shouldn't be an issue, even if the hook thing doesn't work out. Plus I will have a spare ball that way.

Jon
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Sig220_Ruger77
    quote:Originally posted by armilite

That is really cool. He was obviously quite excited. [8D]

I'm going to buy another ball here when league is done. Right now I just throw a straight ball with a slight right hook(not much). I am going to get the new one drilled for learning to throw a hook/curve. I spent $50 on the 1st one, so spending a bit more on a 2nd one shouldn't be an issue, even if the hook thing doesn't work out. Plus I will have a spare ball that way.

Jon

Yes what ever you do if your serious about bowling you can't skimp on equipment. Another important factor is the guy drilling the ball. He certainly must know what he is doing. This can't happen unless to take it to a certified pro shop. Also the lanes that you bowl in you need to find how they are oiled. If they oil heavy even a strong hooking ball may not hook much. It may take 3 games or so for that oil to move around where the ball will actually hook.

Case in point, I was having some issues a couple of weeks ago and after bowling my brother gave me one of his bowling balls that he told me hooked to much. I took the ball in paid $65 to have it plugged and re-drilled along with a medium sanding.

Fast forward to last Tuesday league night. The lane seemed to be a little more oiled then normal. I through 4 shadow balls and the ball did nothing. It rolled out and about 3 feet before it hit the head pin it maybe hooked 4 boards. Needless to say I didn't start the night with that ball. Fast forward to the second frame of the first game. On my first shot I left a 7 pin. Lining up about center lane I through the spare slightly right to left. The ball did nothing and I missed the 7 pin by about a foot. In the 4th frame I left a 10 pin. Lining up why left I through it over the middle arrow and the ball just stayed there and dumped in the gutter a foot in front of the 10 pin. That ball will require a lot of work until I can figure it out.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Curt,

Thanks for the advice. I have really gotten into watching some of the other people in this league bowl, as many of them have been doing it for a few years. I have learned a lot from just watching them. Some will use one ball for a game and then switch the next, or switch mid-game. I would imagine for the reasons you speak of.

I also learned to try to make my pre-throw and everything leading up to my ball as consistent as possible. I think that alone has a lot to do with my numbers getting better and more consistent.

Jon
  • Options
    edited November -1
    https://www.amazon.com/Brunswick-Rhino-Bowling-Black-Silver/dp/B01DUUF9BG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1491200752&sr=8-1&keywords=brunswick+bowling+ball&th=1&psc=1

Curt, do you have any experience or opinion on the Brunswick Rhino bowling balls? That's what I was thinking about going with next.

Jon
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Sig220_Ruger77
    https://www.amazon.com/Brunswick-Rhino-Bowling-Black-Silver/dp/B01DUUF9BG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1491200752&sr=8-1&keywords=brunswick+bowling+ball&th=1&psc=1

Curt, do you have any experience or opinion on the Brunswick Rhino bowling balls? That's what I was thinking about going with next.

Jon

I've heard of it but not really familiar with it. I see you were looking at it on Amazon. While you'd probably get it cheaper then a Pro Shop you still have to get it drilled and that will cost you. The Pro Shop will charge more but you'll get your drilling for free. You might also want to catch the pro bowlers tour on either ESPN or Fox Sports 1, you can also learn more there as well. What may matter even more then the ball is the person drilling it. They have no know how YOU throw your ball. I'd go on line and do some research on bowling balls. You would probably want a ball with a 7.0 hook rate a some what aggressive ball but not to aggressive. I'll do some research on my end and come up with some suggestions.
  • Options
    gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My wife and I were in a "couples drinking league" Our drinking league had a bowling problem!

I throw a straight fast ball. Right down the middle as hard as I can throw it. Needless to say, I'm not too good!

My ball is 16Lbs. and is clear with a skull in the middle!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    John nothing against the Rhino but I like the Storm line of balls. They've also won more bowling tournaments then every one else combined. I'd go look on bowl123.com and you can review a lot of bowling balls. They currently have reviews of 3 of my current balls. The lucid, Zero Gravity and the Animal Untamed. If I were to buy one more ball it would be the Alpha Crux, but that might be to much ball for you at this time. You might try and see if the Lucid is still available. All of mine were purchased at well over the $100 mark.
    But stroll along their website and see what they show. They don't sell anything there but if you know any names of balls that interest you they should have info. available.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Found a used Lucid on ebay for about $40 delivered only draw back is its 14 lbs. Don't know if that would be to light for you but I don't know your stature. It would also help me give you a better idea if I saw you bowl. It looks to be in pretty good shape and with re-drilling and a sanding it would probably be cheaper then the Rhino.
    If not I'd go and talk to a local Pro Shop if you have one nearby.
  • Options
    1BigGuy1BigGuy Member Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've never been much of a bowler, but I enjoyed going down to have a beer with some buddies now and then.
    Alas, the old owner sold the place and closed it up. Now someone is seeking approval to make it a marijuana dispensary. No fooling. [V]