In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Raccoon

grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
edited June 2012 in General Discussion
Headed out to the Vet about an Hour ago and chased a raccoon off the Porch. He even turned and growled at me.

SO while at the Vet I see their Board with areas to watch. Just south of me Rabies.

Looks like I'm going to watch what I do outside, sure do not want to get those shots.

Comments

• Options
    bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    Middle of the day and you've got a racoon on the porch???

Thats growling at you?

I'd be chasing it off the porch with something substantial.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Did not have time was late for the Vet appointment. But from now on will exit armed.
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,478 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I walked outside of my house a few weeks back and there were a whole family of them in my fenced in yard.
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,633 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There's a vaccine you can get to protect against rabies. I did bat research for a guy a number of years ago and got the shot. If ya got attack '* growlin' at ya on the porch, it might be a worthwhile investment!
  • Options
    roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would bet a dollar to a moldy doughnut there is cat food on the porch
    Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by roswellnative

Not one Bite. Cats are fed inside where the raccoon cannot get to. And cats stay inside.
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by grumpygy
    quote:Originally posted by roswellnative

Not one Bite. Cats are fed inside where the raccoon cannot get to. And cats stay inside.

how do you feed them inside, if they stay outside ? [8D]
  • Options
    Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,673 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Before we moved we started seeing them pretty regularly. They would hide out behind the bbq grill and peek out. It was funny to see them slowly move their little heads out and slowly move back behind the grill.......hello
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had one that was a real pain for about the last year, getting into the garage through the cat door and tearing up the place. She was good for growling and fussing every time I chased her out. She finally got caught in the neighbors garage three weeks ago, and it tore that garage up as well. He borrowed a Ruger .22 from me and dispatched it. About 4 days later I found a dead baby raccoon floating in our pool, so I'm guessing she was a mom.
  • Options
    BikerBobBikerBob Member Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well the raccoons at my place desecrated my motorcycle in the barn this spring. Peed on it from some wood stored on the rafters.

Stealing some cat food and corn was one thing, easy to overlook. But this was an act of premeditated terrorism with a GunBroker name like mine!

We declared war on those mask wearing, bike watering varmints.

Bikerbob (and family) + 15
    Masked marauders + a little a blood to be cleaned in a couple spots

I think the mild winter was a factor, there seems to be an unusually high number of them this year.
  • Options
    timinpatiminpa Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    had a * go after some trash in the garage last week, then it came up while i was sitting out by the garage, then i shot it in the face with a .22, it's dead.
  • Options
    A J ChristA J Christ Member Posts: 7,534
    edited November -1
    A few years ago came home a watched a whole family run up a tree. My Bulldog saw the happenings and got pretty excited.

Went to unload the truck and pretty much left the dog to do her thing, about 10 minutes later the * family decided to leave the tree, momma first. As soon as she hit the ground my dog grabbed her, gave her an almighty shaking and went after the next one coming out of the tree, took her about 2 minutes to wipe out the whole family.

Was a sight to see, a 45 pound American Bulldog shaking a 30 pound *. No growling, no posturing, no warning, no barking, just action.

Yes, she had her rabies vaccination.

She'd never seen a * before but ever since, she see one, she's ready for action.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,226 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A raccoon on the porch at 5pm, growling at you.

That creature has rabies.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Went to feed a neighbors cattle at 3 in the afternoon on Tuesday, dang * had knocked over two barrels of feed and was still in the barn. I got three shots at him with my trusty Beretta 21A with stingers, I think the third shot might have got him. Too much poison ivy to try and follow his thieving butt up the creek bed.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:

how do you feed them inside, if they stay outside ?

That is a reading comprehension problem right there.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by allen griggs
    A raccoon on the porch at 5pm, growling at you.

That creature has rabies.

The actual time was 1:30 PM.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Contrary to old wives tales,, Raccoons will come out during the day, especially if they have young.. they need a break away from them. they also get hungry during daylight hours..
    We have them here eating cat food at all hours of the day and night...

A major cause of concern with raccoons is rabies. While raccoons can get rabies (just like any other mammal), that DOES NOT mean that every raccoon has rabies. A study in upstate NY showed that among animals testing positive for rabies, the raccoon was not at the top of the list. Even so, precautions must be taken when encountering a raccoon. These are wild animals that should be treated with respect and left alone. Children should be taught not to approach or touch a raccoon the same as they are taught not to approach any unknown animal, wild or domestic. Just because a raccoon is seen in daytime does not mean it is rabid. Mother raccoons sometimes forage during the day when they are nursing babies. Only if an adult raccoon seen in the daytime is showing abnormal behaviors such as paralysis, unprovoked aggression, moving in circles, self-mutilation, making screeching sounds, or showing supreme tameness should you call your local animal control officer or police department.
  • Options
    River RatRiver Rat Member Posts: 9,022
    edited November -1
    Headed out to the Vet about an Hour ago and chased a raccoon off the Porch. He even turned and growled at me.

SO while at the Vet I see their Board with areas to watch. Just south of me Rabies.

Looks like I'm going to watch what I do outside, sure do not want to get those shots.

I'd lay odds that sucker is rabid. Skunks get it pretty easy, and I expect raccoons do also? Fearful, nocturnal animals that turn into daytime aggressives is a pretty good indication. Go get him!
  • Options
    e3mrke3mrk Member Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We have a large Raccoon that has been coming around in the Daytime and it doesn't look too healthy.
    Now whenever I take the Dog out I am armed just in case it decides to come at Us.
    Even if it doesn't have Rabies it could still do a job on a Puppy.
    A Raccoon got into a fight with a Friends Shepard Collie Mix and really messed His Dog up before He killed it so I know how dangerous They can be.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Came Back from town at around 12 he was back on the porch this time he was gone before I could get out of the truck. This time he had a free run for the trees. Thinking back on it yesterday I had him cornered could have been the reason for the growling.

He is a big healthy guy. Just not sure what he is doing on the porch there is nothing for him to eat.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,226 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have raccoons all over my wilderness property in North Carolina.
    I have never seen one out in the daytime.

So it is not an old wive's tale that they only come out at night, I say it from my own experience.

The only raccoon I ever saw out at midday was down in suburban Atlanta, it was staggering around in a guy's yard, clearly a very sick animal.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    You just havent seen one yet.. They are out...We see them out in the daytime at the range.. Usually in the Dumpsters getting food that people throw out...
  • Options
    bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

This time of year it's a toss up on what could possibly be the cause for sighting raccoons in daylight hours.

The mothers are moving young & gathering food at odd hours. I frequently see familys moving about in daylight hours when I go scouting in the woods this time of year.

About 8yrs ago in early Aug. I was squirel hunting and it was late morning. I was crossing a foot bridge on a trail in the woods when a big raccoon apeared on the other side.

She stood on back feet guarding the far side of the bridge(20ft long). When she growled at me and got down on all 4, started walking faster and faster toward me, I fired my .410 and rolled her over backwards.

Seconds after firing the grass and weeds were moving like crazy on the other side of the foot bridge....she was protecting about 4-5 little ones.

I felt bad for killing a momma w/ little ones, but it was her or me, & I wasn't about to get ate up by a raccoon.

When the question between sick or protective momma * comes up, I always do what's safe for me & my family... bambambam!