In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Another one bites the dust

susiesusie Member Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2011 in General Discussion
MEMPHIS, TN (WMC) -

BlueCross BlueShield will be dropping coverage for an estimated 100,000 participants in the Affordable Care Act Marketplace in Tennessee for 2017, according to a statement from the insurance company.

BlueCross BlueShield elected to drop Obamacare coverage in the Memphis, Knoxville, and Nashville regions of Tennessee. The drop will not affect seniors with Medicare Advantage plans, those enrolled with BlueCare, or anyone who has insurance through their employer.

BCBST said the company tried to use the ACA Marketplace model, but couldn't make it work on a statewide level because of "too many uncertainties." The company cited losses approaching $500 million over three years on ACA plans.

Comments

• susiesusie Member Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://www.star-telegram.com/804/story/1015435.html

A north Dallas resident opened fire on two men who were attempting to break into his condominium late Sunday night.

One suspect was struck and killed while the second suspect fled the scene. The homeowner shot at the intruders through his front door, said Cpl. Jerry Morneal, Dallas Police spokesman. The fatally wounded man, whose name police have yet to release, died at Medical City Hospital shortly after midnight, police said.

Police searched for the second man in an area around the 5600 block of Harvest Hill Road, Monreal said. "They were looking for any evidence that he may have been injured," Monreal said.

This is the second time in a week that an intruder has been killed by a north Texas resident defending their homes.

Last week, an Arlington resident shot and killed one of two intruders who forced their way inside his home. In that shooting, the homeowner exchanged gunfire with the intruder, who was later identified as 32-year-old Cedric Phillips of Arlington.
    edited November -1
    The Memphis newspaper this morning has a story indicating that the Goodyear tire plant in Union City Tn will be closing by the end of this year. This plant opened in 1968 and has 1900 employees. Union City is about a hundred miles North of Memphis in the Northwest corner of the state. The area has 9+% unemployment now and this sure does not help. For a while this plant built the directional tires used on the Corvettes.

In the same edition of the paper was an announcement that Mitsubishi was going to announce next week that the $200 million plant eluded to several weeks ago is going to be a reality for Memphis. Houston was also considered for this plant. This, along with the already announced Electrolux plant, will bring some very needed jobs to the area.

Seems like every time we hear some good news about new jobs the news is somewhat soured by news of job losses.
    edited November -1
    No more guns at the local Wally World.

Nice old guy in Sportin' goods said there wasn't enough profit in'em.

Shipped remaining stock to other stores that are are still sellin'em.

Oh well.[:D]

BW(Who ain't gonna miss'em.)
    edited November -1
    edited November -1
    Yep, Hope and Change.

More folks hoping they will be able to find a job now that everything has changed:

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (AP) - Yarnell's Premium Ice Cream says it's shutting its doors and laying off about 200 workers after a decline in sales and rising prices that the Searcy-based company says has affected the ice cream industry.

The company announced Thursday morning that it would end production indefinitely and told its workers that they would paid through every day worked, but not beyond that. About 75% of the company's workers are based at the Searcy headquarters. The rest are located throughout Arkansas, Tennessee and Mississippi.

A small team will remain working for the company's headquarters through Aug. 27. Yarnell's has been in operation since 1932 and grew from a small family-owned operation to one that delivered ice cream throughout Arkansas, Missouri, Tennessee, Mississippi and Louisiana.

This ice cream company has been around for decades, a staple of Arkansas desserts. Folks tightening belts are probably weighing options of meat and veggies vs. splurging on treats. Real sustenance in these lean times vs. a little indulgence in a feel good escape. People are cutting back and I see more coming.

Costs and regulations are driving small businesses out of business. The ripple effect will slowly encompass us all.

Chip, chip, chip........
    edited November -1
    Just visiting with a good friend who is a redneck from Alabama. Talk turned to guns. He said he never was interested in those assualt rifles, and didn't see a reason for a civilian to have one. First I had to explain that they are semi, not full auto (and yes, had to explain the difference). I asked what he deer hunts with - bolt action 30.06. Told him I was looking at a new deer rifle, & pulled up a Browning BAR on gb to show him. Asked if he knew what it was, and he says oh yeah, thats a Browning, thats a really nice deer rifle. (OK, I know you see where this is going) Told him that deer rifle is just as semiauto as that AR, the only difference is the packaging. He got my point and even thanked me for the education.

We've got to win them over one at a time if that's what it takes.
    edited November -1
    yahoo news

Clinton fundraiser backs McCain over Obama

By ANN SANNER, Associated Press Writer Wed Sep 17, 2:42 PM ET

WASHINGTON - A top Hillary Rodham Clinton fundraiser threw her support behind Republican John McCain on Wednesday, saying he will lead the country in a centrist fashion and accusing the Democrats of becoming too extreme.

"I believe that Barack Obama, with MoveOn.org and Nancy Pelosi and Howard Dean, has taken the Democratic Party - and they will continue to - too far to the left," Lynn Forester de Rothschild said. "I'm not comfortable there."

Rothschild is also a member of the Democratic National Committee's Platform Committee. She said she would be stepping down from her position on the committee but will not switch political parties.

they are jumping ship like drowning rats from the titanic
    edited November -1
    Sen. Rand Paul quits[:)]
  • BIG OLD BILLBIG OLD BILL Member Posts: 180 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    GREAT PRODUCT!!! I remember when Yarnell's first came into the Memphis area. It was tough for them because of a couple of excellent ice cream makers in Memphis, like Klinke Brothers, but they survived because of their quality. Really hate to see them go.
  • River RatRiver Rat Member Posts: 9,022
    edited November -1
    Hate to see a company die that's been arounf that long.
  • HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    All those companies will soon go - we will no longer get what we want. We will get what Chinese Consumers want - they are now the most interesting/profitable/growing/dynamic market. The U.S. is no longer dictating what products we will get. Learn to read Chinese.
  • RogueStatesmanRogueStatesman Member Posts: 5,760
    edited November -1
    Its going to get worse, much worse.
  • ButtButt Member Posts: 208 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wife works at Insight Technology 75 people let go today.