In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Flea Market, good find?

thesupermonkeythesupermonkey Member Posts: 3,905 ✭✭
edited April 2011 in General Discussion
The wife drug me to the flea market today.
One of the 1st tables we passed had an vintage-looking box which caught my eye. I took a peak inside and saw an old long bow, complete with accessories and documentation. The guy wanted $25 for it but I passed as I know nothing about archery equipment. We walked on but the rest of the time I kept thinking about. So before we left I stopped by again, offered him 20 and he accepted. If I had to guess, I'd say it's 1950ish? Anyone know anything about these bows?

DSC_0003.jpg
DSC_0004.jpg
DSC_0005.jpg

I doubt I went wrong for $20 bucks but if I'm sitting on something worth more I'd like to know before the kids play with it.

Thanks

Comments

• Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd think that you did quite well. Dont' think that could be a bad choice on your part.

For dating it roughly, check in the instructions and such for date of printing ... that ought help peg the date some.

I'd have jumped on it for that ... and probably any more if he had had them. Good shopping.
  • montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,893 ******
    edited November -1
    Looks really cool. Can't go wrong for twenty bucks. You post this over on archery side ?
  • torosapotorosapo Member Posts: 4,946
    edited November -1
    Definitely a good deal, you don't usually see them with the box and paperwork.
  • MaxOHMSMaxOHMS Member Posts: 14,715
    edited November -1
    Sell it on the auction side.

Use the words "vintage", "tactical" and "rare".

If you hurry, you can take your profit and buy an ounce of silver.

[:D]
  • tskrytskry Member Posts: 533 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'll give you $25, you pay shipping,,[:0]

nice find,,,enjoy
  • Sav99Sav99 Member Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Post it over on the archery & bow hunting forum. Those guys are very knowledgeable.
  • 35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looks like a great deal to me. Doesn't look like it's ever been out of the box![:)]

I, on the other hand....[;)]

I can remember picking up a bow like that at a junk shop years ago. I was dead set on getting one, to shoot carp with. The cheaper the better, said I. Bought it, and a half-dozen aluminum arrows, for $5.

Got back to the campground, and headed over the hill to the shore. Grabbed an arrow, drew the bow back as far as it could go, and lined up on a massive carp.

About that time, the top limb give way, and caught me across the bridge of my nose. When I bought it, in my excitement, I didn't take the time to look it over, or I would've noticed that the upper limb had been epoxied back on! Christ O' Friday, did that hurt![:0][B)][:D]
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
  • matwormatwor Member Posts: 20,594
    edited November -1
    Pssssst, it's a longbow, not a recurve.[;)] Neat find though.
  • Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nice find; I think you got a heck of a deal!!

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Very cool! [8D] I think you did well for the price. I personally won't pay the recidulous prices that some people ask for them, not because they aren't worth it, but simply because they aren't worth it to me. I have a few and hang them up, but I also shoot them all and let my friends and family learn to shoot with them as well.

Not really a major hobby of mine, but I am up to 3 recurves myself. I have a newer PSE takedown model "Kudu", that I hunt with and a couple older Ben Pearson models hanging on the wall that I shoot from time-to-time. I don't have a longbow in my little collection though yet....[:D] Some day I long to have a nice little shooter grade Bear bow in the collection. We will see about that though...
  • barbwiredbarbwired Member Posts: 8,254
    edited November -1
    Think you did well here's what I found on the net. The first folding bail style spinning reel was added to the catalog in 1959, and in that same year the Shakespeare Company acquired the assets of Parabow Archery, Inc. of Waverly, Ohio, and began manufacturing Shakespeare fiberglass and wood bows and other archery accessories.
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,527 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I remember using bows like that during archery in high school gym class back in the early 1990's.

Do they still teach archery in Gym class?
  • swopjanswopjan Member Posts: 3,292
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by drobs
    I remember using bows like that during archery in high school gym class back in the early 1990's.

Do they still teach archery in Gym class?

occasionally. i remember doing archery in 8th grade, we did it for like three days. but that was about 7 years ago...