In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Wacky-eyed shooters

Oso2142Oso2142 Member Posts: 2,940
edited August 2011 in General Discussion
Any of you guys shoot right-handed, while being left eye dominant/using your left? Or, the reverse?

My son appears to be right-handed and, left eye dominant. I wonder if I should just leave this condition alone, or, should I try to make him shoot left-handed?

Comments

• Options
    callktulucallktulu Member Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All the latest "experts" say keep both eyes open, so what's it matter?
  • Options
    MudderChuckMudderChuck Member Posts: 4,105
    edited November -1
    My wife does it and seems to shoot OK, looks funny especially shooting a shotgun right handed and left eye.
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    If you are right handed it will be easier to teach him if he stays right otherwise you will really screw him up.
  • Options
    MudderChuckMudderChuck Member Posts: 4,105
    edited November -1
    I've seen guys shooting with glasses on, the left eye is a slit and the right full. I imagine there is some technique that will get him to shoot right eye.
    I'm right dominant and keep both eyes open, but I do squint my left eye a little. I trained myself that way somehow, it never seemed to hurt anything so I left it alone.
  • Options
    oldrideroldrider Member Posts: 4,934 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I lost some vision in my right eye this past year. I've learned to shoot handguns using my left eye, no problem.
    Can still kind of point a shotgun, but I've about given up shooting rifles. Haven't been able to master the left handed part.
  • Options
    MaaloxMaalox Member Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am right handed and left eye dominant. I do OK pistol shooting with both eyes open, scoped rifle no problem. Where I do have issues is shooting a shotgun. I use a small piece of scotch tape on the left lens of my shooting glasses. Place this so when the gun is mounted he can't see the bead with his left eye. Then he needs to train himself to keep his left eye open for peripheral vision but use the right eye for aiming the shotgun.
    Regards, MAALOX
  • Options
    HappyNanoqHappyNanoq Member Posts: 12,023
    edited November -1
    Used to, but then I took contortionist-classes and problem was solved.
    Now I just have a problem tajping on the compuuteerr
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Maalox
    I am right handed and left eye dominant. I do OK pistol shooting with both eyes open, scoped rifle no problem. Where I do have issues is shooting a shotgun. I use a small piece of scotch tape on the left lens of my shooting glasses. Place this so when the gun is mounted he can't see the bead with his left eye. Then he needs to train himself to keep his left eye open for peripheral vision but use the right eye for aiming the shotgun.

My experience also - I can't hit the ground with a shotgun.

Depending on what one shoots being right handed and shooting lefty can be an advantage. Shooting an AR I don't need any special bolt release lever, I can hit it with my left index finger. Shooting a bolt off a bench is very convenient and I can work the bolt of an Enfield very quickly off the bench - left hand on trigger, right hand on bolt zips through the rounds very, very fast. I've never found the "wrong eye" dominant to be a problem.
  • Options
    Oso2142Oso2142 Member Posts: 2,940
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mark christian
    It is much more common than most folks imagine and these threads cover many of the solutions that our members have used over the years:

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=281619

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=119427

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3565

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=518210

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=383241

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=348522

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=199242

Lots of opinions, that's for sure.

Personally, I shoot right handed, right eyed, with both eyes wide open. But, as far as my son, I think I'll just watch and see...

Anyway, his problem, if you want to call it a problem, really doesn't interfere with pistol shooting. However, with rifle shooting, it complicates things, a bit. Now, as far as shooting a shotgun, I'm going to have to try it out, and see what he does. I think the shotgun will pose a problem. Right now, we're shooting his rifle from a bench. Therefore, he's able to move things around, and get support, a bit easier.

Originally, I thought that he was looking over at the people to the left. My thinking: he wanted to see what others thought about him shooting. I guess I should have paid closer attention?[:I] But, I tell you, it looks weird to see him shoot a rifle.
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Oso2142
    ...should I try to make him shoot left-handed?
    I'm opposite eye dominant and it's really never been an issue for me.

As for getting him to shoot left handed, why not? It's not tough at all to become competent with either side, just a matter of practice.

It can be a handy skill.
  • Options
    FWAdditFWAddit Member Posts: 918 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Txs
    quote:Originally posted by Oso2142
    ...should I try to make him shoot left-handed?
    I'm opposite eye dominant and it's really never been an issue for me.

As for getting him to shoot left handed, why not? It's not tough at all to become competent with either side, just a matter of practice.

It can be a handy skill.

Early in his shooting career, we realized my son is left-eyed and right-handed. He learned to shoot from the left shoulder smoothly. As Oso says, just a matter of practice.
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,953 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by HappyNanoq

[:D][:D]
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    They are making a device for shotguns now that look like a ittle ectra barell off to the side with bead sights for left eye dominant shooters that shoot right handed.. Got a couple of good shooters that use it and they do great..
  • Options
    River RatRiver Rat Member Posts: 9,022
    edited November -1
    I've heard it said that quite a few female shooters are right-handed but left-eye dominant. Not to mention the occasional male. I don't care how a shooter lines up with the sights, as long as they are comfortable, shoot well, and have at least one eye open.
  • Options
    Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by HappyNanoq
    [:)] [;)] [:D]
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Shotgunning is taught with Both Eyes open.. you look at the target not the gun..Believe me when I say even with both eyes open the left eye dominant , right hand shooter sees thengins entirely different and must be taught the adjustment in what he is looking at.
  • Options
    OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dad was the same way, he couldn't close his left eye without the right following. He had to wear a patch in the USMC.

He shoots rifle and shotgun left handed easily, with handguns being right handed he had to learn to turn his head to the right slightly to get the left eye out in front so that it would take over.
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,282 ******
    edited November -1
    yes. leave him alone.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    Patch his left eye, forcing him to use his right eye.Soon he will become right eye dominant.
  • Options
    dlrjjdlrjj Member Posts: 5,528 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Classic095
    Shotgunning is taught with Both Eyes open.. you look at the target not the gun..Believe me when I say even with both eyes open the left eye dominant , right hand shooter sees thengins entirely different and must be taught the adjustment in what he is looking at.
    Yep, I'm a decent shot with left eye closed, but can't hit a thing with both open - nothing looks correct.

Since I'm in my 60's, I doubt it's worth the effort to try and change now.
    Tax evasion is illegal, tax avoidance is an art form.
  • Options
    bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have this problem as well!

I am left eye domn and right handed. When I look down the barrel of a shotgun I see 2 beads.

Some tips I've heard are:

Place a small piece of scotch tap on the lens of your shooting glasses( one you don't want to use) and it will make your other eye take over.

Close one eye(not very helpful)

Use a piece of cardboard to block the eyes view

What I have done with great success is to use a EASY HIT sight from Champion. I heard Tom Knapp talk about it and I saw on his gun camera how it worked and I bought it. Glad I did too!

It is simple how it works. It is a tube about 4-5" long. The end toward the shooter is a black solid tube. About half way down going toward the muzzle tube it is perferated with the inside fiber optic core exposed(this is so it can gather light).

Ok, when you mount your gun, you do it with both eyes open!!!!
    For me(left eye dominant, right handed) I see a black tube with my left eye and the fiber optic is so bright that my right eye see's the sight and my brain switches automaticly which one I see the target with.

Best thing I ever done was buy one of these Easy Hit sights.

http://www.easyhit-usa.com/

One tip...I originaly bought the long fatter orange sight(3mm).
    Buy the 2.5mm tube, it is easier to pin point on game. Birds, turkey, deer, ect..

You can find them for $19.99 at Kabelas.
  • Options
    CyclonusCyclonus Member Posts: 2,825
    edited November -1
    Im the same way but I can hit ANYTHING with a rifle now with a handgun Im lucky to not shoot myself in the hand or foot.
  • Options
    swopjanswopjan Member Posts: 3,292
    edited November -1
    when i was a small child i got hit on the left temple in such a way that it damaged a nerve, so i can make my left eye wander off at will. i just close it when i'm shooting.

oh, you guys are talking about something else? [:I]